DJs?

query for the techies in here

i'm working on setting up a live system based around ableton Live + a live drumkit / maybe some other random stuff. I'm breaking down basic elements to single tracks but I'd like to be able to mix each track out of live onto a mixer (somebody pointed out that it's basically what Simian Mobile Disco are doing here. I know there are sound cards out there with more outputs (4 or more at least) so curious if anyones got any experience.

We've also got a midi-enabled pretty new Korg that I'd love to be able to Midi-Out to or control from Ableton (i.e. have MIDI patterns pre-written in Live and feed them out to the keyboard). Possible? It looks like SMD are doing this as well running leads to the synthesizers.

the theory overall is to have everything slave to a consistent BPM through Ableton and to have access to digital mixing methods and whatnot so we can go back and forth between mostly-live tracks and then mostly sampled / DJ'ing stuff.

query for the techies in here

i'm working on setting up a live system based around ableton Live + a live drumkit / maybe some other random stuff. I'm breaking down basic elements to single tracks but I'd like to be able to mix each track out of live onto a mixer (somebody pointed out that it's basically what Simian Mobile Disco are doing here. I know there are sound cards out there with more outputs (4 or more at least) so curious if anyones got any experience.

We've also got a midi-enabled pretty new Korg that I'd love to be able to Midi-Out to or control from Ableton (i.e. have MIDI patterns pre-written in Live and feed them out to the keyboard). Possible? It looks like SMD are doing this as well running leads to the synthesizers.

the theory overall is to have everything slave to a consistent BPM through Ableton and to have access to digital mixing methods and whatnot so we can go back and forth between mostly-live tracks and then mostly sampled / DJ'ing stuff.

We do something very similar to this with our live show. syncing the midi clock from the drumkit is easy, and you can choose to have Ableton be the master or your Drum Head be the master.

My live setup is something like this:

Live Audio track 1-6

1) Lead Vox

2) Backup Vox

3) Bass

4) Lead Synth

5) Extra Synths

6) Drums

Live Midi track 7-14

Various synths that we use on each track.

Each song is dragged into the set w/ a bunch of follow actions so that it can play itself and the entire thing runs through two FX sends/returns (live keyboards go thru one, rest of mix goes through another).

I use a uc-33e w/ faders to control individual FX and volume of the tracks 1-6 and the mod-wheel on my midi keyboard (Prophet '08) to control the volume of whatever synths I'm currently playing live.

As we progress through each track, I can choose to hit a button and have the scenes play again, but the follow action restarts so if we wanna extend a breakdown 3-4 times I can just hit a button on my controller bound to trigger a scene.

The main thing I'm dealing with now is frustrating with having my bassline all on one channel/track, and my drums all on one channel/track. It negates the ability to easily fade between them and instead I have to do something like.. Cut to next drums, Cut to next bassline, etc. Still working on a good solution to this one :)

As for outputting things to a dj mixer.. you can definitely do it but I'm not sure why you would want to have the hassle of carting around a DJ mixer and hooking it all up when you could just have ableton's internal mixing handle everything.

I'd be happy to answer specific questions on here or via PM/AIM or something.

90s.jpg

http://soundcloud.com/hughcolohan/way2bigofafile

My first attempt at a recorded mix, all 90s cheese, gonna use it as a demo to promote a 90s night we're gonna start throwing at a club in halifax hopefully =O

feedback/criticism is definitely appreciated

Tracklist:

Gym Tonic (Thomas Bangalter Mix) - Bob Sinclair

We Like to Party - Vengaboys

Around the World - ATC

Kickin Hard - Klubbheads

Gonna Make you Sweat - C&C Music Factory

Space Jam - Quad City DJ's

Better off Alone - Alice Deejay

Doctor Jones - Aqua

Call on Me - Eric Prydz

Ooh Ah Just a Little Bit - Gina G

Beautiful Life - Ace of Base

Ride on a Meteorite - Antares

My Love is Hot - Sequential One

Whoomp there It Is - Tag Team

I like to Move It - Reel 2 Real

Candyman - Aqua

Dub-i-dub - Me & My

Cotton Eyed Joe - Rednex

Sandstorm - Darude

How I Beat Shaq - Aaron Carter

guys, please bare with my noobiness cause im new to this. i recently got my hands on a 1980s technics sl-2000 for free and want to get another one to start a really dirty cheap set up...just to mess around on. it has a knob for tempo adjust vs. a slider. does anyone even use tempo knobs these days?

I realize this may be the wrong place to ask a question like this, but I searched and couldn't find a thread..if I just want to listen to records, what's a good, cheap record player? The one my pops has had since I was born just recently went kasplat.

guys, please bare with my noobiness cause im new to this. i recently got my hands on a 1980s technics sl-2000 for free and want to get another one to start a really dirty cheap set up...just to mess around on. it has a knob for tempo adjust vs. a slider. does anyone even use tempo knobs these days?

Tempo adjust? You mean the pitch fader?

3 beginner questions

1) Is there any way to adjust sound quality with ableton live? it seems every track below 320 kbps sounds like crap.

2) is there a tool to do real-time loops (without having to select a section and then click on it)

3) any way to load itunes playlists (its annoying to have to go through individual folders to select songs)

thanks in advance

yea i think i have to get a controller because the way its set up on default, you have to keep refreshing the start point for the loop which is annoying

wlekj8.png

click the top Set for where you want the loop to come in, and the bottom Set for where you want the loop to stop. what do you mean by refreshing the starting point? sound quality also has to do with your warp mode.

• 2 months later...

I have the new macbook and i'm using ableton live with it.

I'm trying to figure out how to cue songs (it won't switch from solo to cue) and how to switch to two sound outnputs- one for my headphones and one for the speakers.

anyone know how to do these things?

(edit: figured out how to change to cue mode but i'm having trouble with the outputs. once i get back to campus i'm gonna have external speakers and i need to figure out how to set up my computer so that they're one output and my headphones are another. i'm gonna need a splitter for that or something i'm assuming?

once i get back to campus i'm gonna have external speakers and i need to figure out how to set up my computer so that they're one output and my headphones are another. i'm gonna need a splitter for that or something i'm assuming?

Unfortunately there's no way to route your music separately between your headphones and speakers on your lappy without an 'audio interface' (aka a special sound card). The reasoning is pretty simple, your laptop or average sound card has one Stereo output. It is impossible to play two tracks via one output, nah means?

I've DJ'd with ableton for about two years now and the best cheap option out there is an Echo Audiofire 2: http://www.zzounds.com/item--ECHAUDIOFIRE2

Whatever you buy, just make sure it has TWO stereo outputps, not just one.

I personally use a MotU Ultralite as it's the most reliable damn piece of hardware I've ever seen.

You can find a rundown of almost all of the decent interfaces that work well with Ableton here: http://www.abletonlivedj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11326

So yet another noob popping in; I've got more interested in DJ'ing lately. A friend had asked me to do it for her wedding and s&d, but since it was short notice and I've no idea where to start, I just used Virtual DJ. I know it's crap but it did at least give me a rough idea of what needs to be done with a proper setup.

So now I'm looking at just getting a fairly cheap starter setup to learn on at home. Don't really have much vinyl so it'd all be on the computer. A friend suggested I get familar with Serato, and other than the usual macbook, his setup looks simple and straight-forward and it sounds good when he plays (2 1200's, but I can't remember his mixer off-hand). I'm working with a PC for probably the next year or so, so what would be a good beginner setup?

Also, anywhere I can read up on the basics of doing this digitally?

So yet another noob popping in; I've got more interested in DJ'ing lately. A friend had asked me to do it for her wedding and s&d, but since it was short notice and I've no idea where to start, I just used Virtual DJ. I know it's crap but it did at least give me a rough idea of what needs to be done with a proper setup.

So now I'm looking at just getting a fairly cheap starter setup to learn on at home. Don't really have much vinyl so it'd all be on the computer. A friend suggested I get familar with Serato, and other than the usual macbook, his setup looks simple and straight-forward and it sounds good when he plays (2 1200's, but I can't remember his mixer off-hand). I'm working with a PC for probably the next year or so, so what would be a good beginner setup?

Also, anywhere I can read up on the basics of doing this digitally?

main thing about DJing is it takes a lot of time, a lot of practice, and mostly a lot of money. Before you dive in, you should probably work with your friend's set up if possibly. Learn the basics of beatmatching and perfect your skills. If you feel like you actually want to do this thing, then save money and buy good equipment. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Most DJ's use Technics 1200s and Serato for a vinyl setup or Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3s for a digital setup. These are very pricey setups. If you wish to buy Technics, i'd suggest getting them off craigslist. Buying used can save you a lot of money.

If you wish to go digital, there are 2 basic routes.

One is getting CD players. They are often referred to as CDJs because the most popular line of CD players is the Pioneer CDJ (400, 800, 10000 CD players are basically a turntable that plays CDs instead of Vinyl. Usually they will also have effects and extra features that you wouldn't find on a turntable. There are many advantages CD players have over turntables such as the the ease of transportatiion, easy looping and efx, ability to play off USB media, etc. However, many DJs still prefer to play with vinyl over digital media because of feel.

The second route is Controllers. Controller is a piece of hardware that sends commands to a computer to control Software. The Software controls your music as a Turntable/CD player and mixer setup would. This is probably the easiest setup as it only consists of a controller and Laptop. If you want to learn more, you should check djtechtools.com and Ean Golden. Djtechtools.com will give you a lot of info on going digital the controllerism way. Many oldschool DJs look down on controllerism but it is becoming more and more accepted.

I have 2 setups, 1 Vinyl and 1 Digital

My Vinyl Setup consists of

(2) Vestax PDX-2000MK1s

(1) Numark DXM09

and i also added a M-Audio Torq for Digital control

shown with the Allen & Heath XONE:32 Mixer

2rpy98m.jpg

My Digital Setup consists of

(2) Pioneer CDJ-400s

(1) Allen and Heath Xone:32

314z19c.jpg

Beginner turntables

Technics 1200

Vestax PDX 2000

Numark TT-X

Beginner Mixers

Numark DXM06

American Audio QD5MkII

Allen & Heath Xone:22

Behringher DDM-3000

Vestax PMC-05

Beginner CD players

Stanton c.324

Pioneer CDJ-200

Controllers

Vestax VCI-100

Hercules RMX

M-Audio Torq Xponent

hope this helped, I'd suggest you check out DJforums.com in the beginner section

I played with my friend's denon s3700's today. if i closed my eyes and played them i would NOT have assumed them to be denons. does anyone have any shit to talk on these units?

one thing i didn't like were the play/pause and cue buttons, get that rubbery shit out of my face!

^how do you like those cdj400's? i've been thinking about getting one to add to my setup.

does anyone here use DJM800 mixers? i recently dumped mine for a korg zero4. NOT LOOKING BACK. this shit is awesome. (unfortunately they're not made anymore)

Love them. I used to have 800Mk2s but i switched to the 400s for USB media and easier transportation. The only thing better about the 800s is the bigger platter for scratching but i use my turntables for that.

As for the DJM 800, A lot of people use them. Too bad i can't afford one.

I played with my friend's denon s3700's today. if i closed my eyes and played them i would NOT have assumed them to be denons. does anyone have any shit to talk on these units?

one thing i didn't like were the play/pause and cue buttons, get that rubbery shit out of my face!

I played with those at guitar center. Very very nice unit. But i agree i rather have pioneer buttons.