easy to critique painting.

red

Talk about Jean Michel Basquiat's work. That way it stays interesting cos you get to talk more about the lifestyle that influenced it, everyone loves you and your 15 minutes is up in no time.

co-sign. the story is so much more interesting than the art. someone should tell that to the investment bankers that gobble up his paintings for $10million at auctions.

if i were r.ed.... i would do something contemporary like jeff koons or damien hurst where he could critique it from the angle of is it a painting at all and is the artist even the artist or more a director..

that's the type of stuff art school people love to eat up. red's presentation could turn into hours of debates.

I'm not smart enough to know if I'm being slighted or not...

Just saying ppl not be down with knowing shit so anything that appears to be conceptually elaborate is dismissed first and err that's it.

Just saying ppl not be down with knowing shit so anything that appears to be conceptually elaborate is dismissed first and err that's it.

That's what I figured, but I was thinking for a minute that you were going for the "concatenating movements into -isms is bad because etc..." or for the actual suprematism manifesto of overcoming the aforementioned.

Anyway.

I'm not smart enough to know if I'm being slighted or not...

i am. and you werent.

you are now.

edit: late pass.

anyways, turns out that the project, no matter how important it was to our grade, was BS. we just have to show up to all three classes, present, and well get an A. and it doesnt even have to be 15 minutes. the people today had fucking horrible presentations as well. i could see my professors face crack with pain. one guys entire 5 minute presentation, if anything, showed his proficiency in rewording "the monalisa sucks. its just a painting of a lady."

i am. and you werent.

you are now.

anyways, turns out that the project, no matter how important it was to our grade, was BS. we just have to show up to all three classes, present, and well get an A. and it doesnt even have to be 15 minutes. the people today had fucking horrible presentations as well. i could see my professors face crack with pain. one guys entire 5 minute presentation, if anything, showed his proficiency in rewording "the monalisa sucks. its just a painting of a lady."

Do it for something beside the grade then, unless you can't be bothered which is also fine I guess.

i am. and you werent.

you are now.

in that case i triple dog dare you to get up, throw up yer goats and yell " whatever football team rules"

Duchamp is a really good suggestion, alot of suggestions have been great actually.

"Nighthawks" by Hopper could be a good one, very familiar. Or maybe "Olympia" by Manet? "Raft of Medusa" is brilliant.....

I guess im kinda looking into Lynch's paintings at the mo, just got a great book about his art ( the catalogue from his Paris show ) .... oh, red, maybe check out "vitamin P" by Phaidon - great starting point for contemporary painters.... or Saatchi's painting show catalogues - they'd be good too.