Photo Essays: A Unique Perspective On Our World At Large

Carl

Here are a few essays from various documentary photographers (ill also throw in an occasional curve ball). Id love for these to spark debate so please speak your mind.

Ill add a couple every few days...Ill try to make it a mix of current events, in depth stories, conflict, and classic photojournalism.

James Nachtwey - Inferno

Covers the major conflicts of the 90's.

JN0001BIN_GA.jpg

JN0009KIN_GA.jpg

JN0001RWIN_GA.jpg

JN00KIN_GA.jpg

JN0004INDO_GA_40-28.jpg

JN0024SINGA.jpg

JN00KINGA.jpg

JN0011SUINGA.jpg

JN0002BIN.jpg

JN0002CHIN_GA.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine I'll infuriate Carl coming out and saying this, but: I am rarely "impressed upon" by photography in the manner that I believe good art should. The aesthetics of photography typically warrant little response from me, and I think as a medium that it tends to be weaker than film or installation in power of "conveyance," I believe is the word to best describe it.

However, for practicalities sake, it's typically first to the front lines of anything and can often go where film cannot, which is why this, to me, is the most interesting and arguably important type of photography. The content nearly transcends the medium.

Great thread, and I hope I don't anger you too thoroughly, Carl.

i wholeheartedly agree with you servo. i am very much less interested in "art" photography than i am in documentary photography. i've been taking a class on the documentary style of photography so i'm familiar with all of those photographers above sans donna ferato. the beauty of documentary photography is that it's a holistic blend of both art photography and "straight", no-frills photography typical of something you'd find in a newspaper. where taking a picture at just the right instance with what happens to be just the right angle is really where i think documentary photography transcends any other type of photography.

Chris Steele Perkins - I first saw this book a few months ago and i thought the pictures were very boring and typical of tokyo (this was before i arrived) After living in tokyo for a while i revisited the book and thought even less of it, the photos themselves aren't very impress and they're of the most typical touristy subjects ever.

Nachtwey is a beast.

Donna ferato did a talk in a class i took last year and it was really impressive how he got in to the situations to take those photos.

James Nachtwey's documentary is spectacularly breathtaking, in a desperate second, he's able to capture the most exaggerated of emotions. His series of photos comes out tops for me till it brings me to a vacuum.

Enough of jock-riding. Annie Leibovitz takes the best and most intimate of portraits, it's either her or James Nachtwey that I inspire to be.

Chris Steele Perkins - I first saw this book a few months ago and i thought the pictures were very boring and typical of tokyo (this was before i arrived) After living in tokyo for a while i revisited the book and thought even less of it, the photos themselves aren't very impress and they're of the most typical touristy subjects ever.

Nachtwey is a beast.

Donna ferato did a talk in a class i took last year and it was really impressive how he got in to the situations to take those photos.

+1.

tenchars.

I imagine I'll infuriate Carl coming out and saying this, but: I am rarely "impressed upon" by photography in the manner that I believe good art should. The aesthetics of photography typically warrant little response from me, and I think as a medium that it tends to be weaker than film or installation in power of "conveyance," I believe is the word to best describe it.

However, for practicalities sake, it's typically first to the front lines of anything and can often go where film cannot, which is why this, to me, is the most interesting and arguably important type of photography. The content nearly transcends the medium.

Great thread, and I hope I don't anger you too thoroughly, Carl.

i think the photojournalism you have to look at in a different sense. At least I do. I don't really look at art as this piece evokes this type of emotion, etc. It should be able to stand alone as well as with everything else, as opposed to the photojournalism stuff that carl does and enjoys. The first set especially, which is trying to bring out this emotion, whatever it may be for some. I love the first photo set. I think film is really similar as well. Why do you like this film? And i've found myself going back to it evokes this emotion. I can't really tell you the last film I saw that i've been like, "wow this is true art."

hey carl, have you seen any of the David Henry stuff from the 80's? i feel like you'd appreciate some of that stuff.

that brian ulrich essay gave me bad vibes the first time i saw it. I think he's forcing his opinions and being much more narrative with his perspective by pushing a certain idea instead of being objective. But honestly i dont' know much about him or what he's trying to pass it off as documentary, journalism, art??? anyone know more about him?

that brian ulrich essay gave me bad vibes the first time i saw it. I think he's forcing his opinions and being much more narrative with his perspective by pushing a certain idea instead of being objective. But honestly i dont' know much about him or what he's trying to pass it off as documentary, journalism, art??? anyone know more about him?

it is impossible to take an 'objective' photo. the very nature and process of photography, and the 'capture' of reality, ensures that a photo is always framed in some context.

a photograph is merely representation, and is selected, framed and constructed by the individual - always influenced by the photographer, and imbued with their "perspective".

surely a photo 'essay' is inherently narrative? 'photo-journalism', documentation and art are all the same in essence, just coated with different ideology. the image is never some objective capture of reality, but a selective, indicative representation of it.

i understand its impossible to be completely objective but there are definitly degrees of objectivity. i feel that essays to far from it to be considered journalism or documentary

I dont think these are documentarian in the most basic sense of the word, and in this case tends to have an artistic leaning....art of any form generally conveys an opinion or ideal...rarely a study in objectivity

the first collection is hardly an objective view of the world at large, but rather places in the world suffering from issues often not by the majority of us in developed nations, and these are stressed while the beauty the world has to offer is ommitted...

hardly objective in itself.

http://www.robertdoisneau.com/robert_doisneau_gallery.htm

I love Robert Doisneau. I really love French photography from the 40's through early 70's and especially those portraying urban life. Doisneau really does this well. Edourd Boubat is fantastic as well.

27155213vu9.jpg

Robert Doisneau

24762883jq6.jpg

Bruno Barbey

I love this photo of French students rioting.

Those Dream / Life ones are incredible. All the above I think cross the line between art and documentary. It is hard to be objective but when you are out in the world taking photo's you are engaging with the subject in such a way that narrative reveals itself. It is incredibly difficult to go out with the intention of taking a picture its all in the accidental you are not really in control you are just responding to the flow of things. Very interesting stuff and a few names I haven't heard before keep em coming.

I like the contrast between the two Pinkhassov's have that dreamy blurry quality this one is beautiful

PAR93483.jpg

I would love to find a print of this

On first glance 'Final Salute' seems visually quite bland almost contrived but the more I look at them the more the lack of 'style' is quite respectful it adds an austerity to the images so the subject comes through stronger

heisler-06.jpg

this one is incredible speaks so much for being so simple