Recent Purchases. . .

CBM

I'm thinking I'll probably build an Arduinome since it's cheaper and I think is a little more involved so it might be better practice.

Yeah, that Monome 40h kit looks very expensive. $110 for the logic and $140 for the LED square seems a bit overpriced.

Back in the day I built a circuit board for interfacing between a PC and something called a pulsed ESR spectrometer.

Having worked out the logic and the chips I needed, I used a program called EAGLE to design the printed circuit board (PCB). If you input the desired connections between board components and the component layout, it uses an autorouting function to design a PCB. In practice, you end up jigging around with the component layout for hours/days as the autorouter can't always find a solution.

The design can be made up into a circuit board by any number of companies. Searching for "PCB manufacturer", there are plenty of them out there. https://www.pcb-pool.com/, for example, seems quite cheap, approx $25 for a 2.5*3.5 double sided board.

As far as ordering components goes, I used http://www.farnell.com/. I haven't looked into it thoroughly, but the components for the monome logic board should come to less than $50

Monome have put up their PCB schematics and identified the components they used (although you could get different ones if you're trying to make a saving). With a bit of work you should be able to get all the stuff you need for a fair bit less than they charge. Plus, you can fiddle around and make changes to suit whatever you're going to do with it!

^ not sure what the diameter of the UEs are at the sleeve but you can try offerings from Shure, Etymotic, Westone, Comply etc. I prefer Shure soft or clearflex, Comply foamies are popular as well.

have you tried the included complys (memory foam, 2 pairs)? Those seem like the best fit for me. Otherwise, you can go to the comply website & order different sizes.

others have tried sony hybrids, which they say provide a much more secure fit.

where did you pick these up? hope you got a deal & didn't pay full retail for the triplefi 10vi.

got them off Amazon for $99 shipped. I did try the memory foam complys it came with, and they're the best fit so far. But I'm having a lot of trouble keeping them in my ears when I move around...

I kind of jumped the gun and bought these in-ear pieces hoping I could use them at the gym, I didn't think it would be so hard to keep the fit on these sealed. I'll look into some other sleeves too. Thanks guys.

got them off Amazon for $99 shipped.

good for you...slickdeals/headfi? anyway, i picked up 2 pair, $40 each. emailed amazon about the rebate ($50/pair) and said I wasn't eligible, but since only missed by 1 day, gave me $50 back per pair. finally, $10 more off by rejecting Wired subscription.

warmer than the grado sr80 that I normally use. better than the shure scl4 I picked up last year for a steal. er6i is collecting dust.

looking at the zune hd or sony x-series for a portable source upgrade.

you can custom order Tricker's, and order the same exact spec set as the Junya Trickers (maybe not including the wedge-soled slip on boots from this past season, though I wouldn't be surprised if those were just as available.)... red, white, or blue uppers with a red lining, natural sole and commando lugs as optional, white eyelets, white laces, they do all of that. They only cost 299GBP or something like that.