WAYWT shit talking thread

cheep

if you don't have any identity anchors shouldn't/couldn't you assimilate into the place in which you live?

1) The ridiculous idea circulating among American conservatives that Europe and specifically France is under Muslim cultural siege is ludicrous and entirely unwarranted. The tensions in France are based on ethnic and socioeconomic lines, with religion only playing a fringe role on the sideline. The situation is more akin to LA riots than the Iranian revolution.

2) France is one of the countries that is most opposed to multiculturalism, asking its immigrants to integrate into the French population and adopt its core values as their own. Policies like positive discrimination based along ethnic or religious lines are almost non-existent and heavily frowned upon as they run contrary to the, laic, Republican spirit of the country (you’re not a Chinese-French you’re French, etc). The governing idea is that there is a strong and shared ideal that is at the core of the identity of this country and that people who want to live there have to adopt this creed as their own and even make it central to their place as citizens.

3) Contrary to what you present the current French elite is taking advantage of the instability and fear felt towards a minority that does not feel it belongs to France but is composed of individuals who have, for the most part been born there and have no identity anchors anywhere else.

4) The idea of “totality†that is apparent in your quote about the “unified state of mind on key social and political issues†is an expression of the concept of a total individual; someone that is, in essence a synthesis of his society, of his culture expressed itself as a totality precisely limited in time (history) and space (geography). However individuals, as simple as they be, are always at least slightly askew in relationship to the structure that assigns them a place and culture is never a set, totally meaningful entity but a work in progress, build by collectivities and prone to change, destruction and renewal.

if you don't have any identity anchors shouldn't/couldn't you assimilate into the place in which you live?

You're defined by the gaze of others in at least the same proportion as you get to define yourself and if you're the face of alterity in a society that, amusingly enough, prides itself of it's capacity to positively integrate, you're hmm, in deep shit. Couple that with socioeconomical problems and you got a society with a huge mess.

The configuration is quite different in the US, no? After all you're in a society built by waves of immigration that get to throw some of their own culture into the American mix. Not that you don't have social problems, far from it.

It is demonstrated that each succesive male born to a single mother has a slightly higher (statistically significant) propensity towards homosexuality, there is no acceptable alternative hypothesis besides something in the mothers body affecting this.

No acceptable hypothesis? Impressed as I am by your knowledge of the role of genetics here, the fact that the more older brothers you have, the more likely you are to identify as a homosexual strikes me rather strongly as evidence for the significant role of environment and psychological development in determining sexual orientation, rather than as a function of genetics (which you admit has no proven solution for why this shoud be so). More brothers = more homosociality = more propensity towards men sexually, especially if you're at the bottom of the age totem pole growing up.

My apolgies for continuing this argument. Please let's go back to clothes-bashing.

This whole culture discussion is interesting..

So France is suffering from the whole melting pot issue?

Melting pot is an american concept. France is viewed as homogeneous and you have to integrate into the culture in place not add to it, the gov/structures don't care about your own.

i guess it's the somewhat bullshit melting pot theory. here, other cultures are celebrated because they can be monetized and exploited,but in reality, it is fairly homogenous.

the only justification for "celebrating" cultures is that we don;t really have any. it's begged and borrowed from the collective.

No acceptable hypothesis? Impressed as I am by your knowledge of the role of genetics here, the fact that the more older brothers you have, the more likely you are to identify as a homosexual strikes me rather strongly as evidence for the significant role of environment and psychological development in determining sexual orientation, rather than as a function of genetics (which you admit has no proven solution for why this shoud be so). More brothers = more homosociality = more propensity towards men sexually, especially if you're at the bottom of the age totem pole growing up.

My apolgies for continuing this argument. Please let's go back to clothes-bashing.

regardless, you look GAY with no moustache!!! FAGGOT!

the only justification for "celebrating" cultures is that we don;t really have any. it's begged and borrowed from the collective.

sounds an awful lot like hong kong

guess that's what happens when you have a society that is based on collectivist ideals...china has a strong cultural identity, but hong kong, it's like a melting pot with all the individuality and culture sucked out of it replaced by homogeneity, conformist mindsets and "blending in." i mean, sure they like to soak in different perspectives and there's a fascination with what's outside, but somehow they manage to remain devoid of any character within themselves

its like what sidneylo once said about everyone here tryin to look japanese...but all that shits empty man, its like theblinding

sounds an awful lot like hong kong

guess that's what happens when you have a society that is based on collectivist ideals...china has a strong cultural identity, but hong kong, it's like a melting pot with all the individuality and culture sucked out of it replaced by homogeneity, conformist mindsets and "blending in." i mean, sure they like to soak in different perspectives and there's a fascination with what's outside, but somehow they manage to remain devoid of any character within themselves

its like what sidneylo once said about everyone here tryin to look japanese...but all that shits empty man, its like theblinding

As long as the Chinese don't let go of Tibet I'll always side with the yellow commies :)

cant tell if that post was serious, so lemme get this straight: You are FOR Tibet being a part of China, right? If so high five

all yellow skinned people should be under one roof

Of course I am, better than a shitty theocracy as regressive as the Talibans. I'm against the hardcore cultural assimilation though and a slew of other Chinese initiatives but, unless the population really wants to get out I see no reason why they shouldn't stay, especially considering Tibet has been a part of China for a couple hundred yrs, the whole revolt now being more about putting back in place a backward theocratic monarchy.

there isnt much cultural assimilation goin on its all invisible big brother mentality people seem to think exists but it doesn't. everyone just conforms assuming everyone else is doing the same thing, nobody told them to do it. you can start a punk band in china now

I wouldn't be all that impressed, it's part of my major.

Your reasoning certainly makes sense. Except that most biological studies conducted in this manner use children who are not brought up in the same conditions (adoption).

They were basically taking far too much shit from the nurture camp, so they were' all "oh yeah, ORPHANS!".

Now I'm recalling this study from memory, so I don't have the reference. But I assume it was done this way, as most research in this area was.

If you're super interested I can dig up the reference, it's in a book that's at my parents house somewhere.

Fuuma, you've made the mistake of putting words into my mouth and thinking that I was blaming the immigrants themselves for the problem. Nothing I said alluded to that.

1) The ridiculous idea circulating among American conservatives that Europe and specifically France is under Muslim cultural siege is ludicrous and entirely unwarranted. The tensions in France are based on ethnic and socioeconomic lines, with religion only playing a fringe role on the sideline. The situation is more akin to LA riots than the Iranian revolution.

This rebuttal (1) is based on a statement that I did not make. Nowhere in my statement did I refer to a religious weapon of division (not like the one being implemented in the UK and Sweden by the Muslim Lobbies themselves). The Muslim Question, as an issue, is obviously an issue trying to claw its way out of your head (no offense) as soon as the topic of French social instability was addressed in the way that a closet homosexual might react to the topic of homosexuality with instant fervent denial of its validity.

Also, I certainly hope you weren't assuming that I'm an American Conservative. Not that it's a necessarily bad thing, depending on what you want to conserve. The only aspect of this country that I want to conserve is my Xbox Live account.

But because you're on this topic ---> ethnic and socioeconomic lines have everything to do with my statement. Many of these immigrants, whether or not they were imported as a workforce, refugees, or simply "plain old immigrants" were consciously placed into an economic system that could not support them or give them work after the re-manning of france's workforce after ww2. This fact might not have been intentional at the time, and the imported workforce was obviously an act of desperation. Though, that doesn't mean that the issue of mass immigration into france wasn't wildly exploited. Immigration is always exploited in many ways politically. Those who suffer are the natives and the immigrants. Those who prosper are the elites. Most of the immigrant labor have retired and since then, there's no work for the following generations and no work for the generations that followed them into france. This was to work to the advantage of a certain political faction of which is omnipresent among the elites of every western "progressive" nation. In Sweden, this mess is the fault of the social democrats. In the united states we have the democrats. In France, it's the fault of Fuuma. There is an element to the democrats, composed of elites (still old money, some new money) who create poverty through a welfare state. The more poverty, the more there is a need for subsidies. The more subsidies are needed, the more the democrats are wanted and the more power that group of elites has. The social construct is then deemed old fashioned and "backwards, ethnocentric, fundimentally racist" by nature. The populations are divided and thus their power as a whole is divided. Divide and conquer. The truth is, immigration on the level that Europe sees can not possibly allow upward mobility of social minorities in that situation. Those responsible for widening the flood gates knew this would happen. This has backfired though, because now both the right and left are pushing strong anti-immigration reform. You have to ask yourself, Puuma, who sat back for so long and watched as immigration policies that were far too lax created such a huge mess in the first place? Policies that called for such drastic reform? It wasn't the moral conscience of French politicians, motivated by the will of the people they claim to represent.

Not all elites work for the same faction(s). They all do however, strive for the same goals.

In the US we call that Political Science.

3) Contrary to what you present the current French elite is taking advantage of the instability and fear felt towards a minority that does not feel it belongs to France but is composed of individuals who have, for the most part been born there and have no identity anchors anywhere else.

Actually, NOT contrary to what I said. You pretty much just proved my point.

4) The idea of “totality” that is apparent in your quote about the “unified state of mind on key social and political issues” is an expression of the concept of a total individual; someone that is, in essence a synthesis of his society, of his culture expressed itself as a totality precisely limited in time (history) and space (geography). However individuals, as simple as they be, are always at least slightly askew in relationship to the structure that assigns them a place and culture is never a set, totally meaningful entity but a work in progress, build by collectivities and prone to change, destruction and renewal.

Totality? No. Not totality. Again, you're putting words into my mouth to better adapt to a preconceived rebuttal about "the issue" that you "felt" was being addressed. That's like me saying, "I like lollypops, They're the best." Then you reply by saying, "No, Milkduds are bad for you, this is why:"

Nobody in the history of man, nobody but the most idealistic new age wacko, ever said that man is an ant. An ant is a supercomputer only truly functional when in tune with the objectives of the colony. I agree with your statement that while the individual is never truly free from the influence of the society, he defines that individuality by the subtle and often intentional miscalibrations between what he sees as societies norms. To understand my statement you have to think of social unrest as water vs. dam. Think of citizens as water molecules. The more molecules that build up in opposition to the dam (the social state and state of things) the more pressure is put on the dam. If enough people feel similarly about the key issue, then the dam will break. Politicians divert water. It doesn't take everybody within society to enact change, like you were trying to say that I said. Please don't put words into my mouth.

The configuration is quite different in the US, no? After all you're in a society built by waves of immigration that get to throw some of their own culture into the American mix. Not that you don't have social problems, far from it.

Oh really? The only thing that the changes brought by waves of immigration and changes implemented by the native-born generations of North America find common ground on is that they want their way as the way. People can claim higher moral ground in this country by claiming that they want compromise, but nobody ever strives for a balanced cultural fluxus anywhere.

s2_liberators_2.jpg

Wait, can we get back to the how do you know you're gay discussion? Cause I wanna know if I can still change my mind about loving dick. Kthnx.

Wait, can we get back to the how do you know you're gay discussion? Cause I wanna know if I can still change my mind about loving dick. Kthnx.
What I'm wondering is, what went wrong to make me want to have sex with women?

Honestly, the selection our generation is given of holes to hump seems like choosing between rotten fruit. Read superconfessional. The shit we put up with from these selfish bimbos really doesn't seem worth it.

I'll totally be knocking on the back door by the end of the year, just watch.

Yes. Lets.