Custom Jeans in LA

jedihabitat

So I've been on sufu for awhile now, reading posts and learning a lot about denim, but I have never posted. I've been in love with denim since the very first pair of Diesel jeans I received as a birthday present about 9 years ago since then I've been a passionate enthusiast of all things denim...that being said I decided that I'd take my interests to the next level. I decided to apprentice at one of the only custom jeans shops in the US and possibly even the world (there's probably a few out there that maybe you guys know of). Anyway, when I say custom I mean we take measurements, cut a pattern, pick the denim and thread, and build the jean on old single stich Singer machines...yea, I know, it's pretty sweet. So that's my deal, and being new at it I thought I'd share with all of you my very first pair of custom jeans. I made these from start to finish. Let me know what you think. there will be many more to come :)

27wtw5g.jpg

10z7pr6.jpg

2up5pw3.jpg

2jdfeyd.jpg

Some info about the jeans and construction:

Denim: 13oz Cone Mill Pre-Shrunk Raw Selvage

Hardware: Copper rivets and Buttons

Thread: 100% Polyester top-stiching thread

Features: Double top-stiched hem

Double top-stiched in-seam

Hidden Rivets on back pocket

Selvage Fly

Selvage on outer seam and coin pocket

7 belt loops 2 sport the selvage

*took about 25 hours to complete

Sorry for the quality of the pics

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I modled the back pockets after Nudies pockets (pretty much the same size off the Slim Jim), I guess they look a bit bigger because there's no arcuate to break it up also the cut of the jean is a bit different.

It is ring ring, the denim is all right not my favorite but I think when worn the unique color of the weft will make the jeans look badass and vintage. I'm not ready to take orders yet but I will be eventually soon enough. Just to keep in mind I'm able to get all cone mill denim selvage and otherwise (this includes Levis, Lee and Wrangler selvage mostly 13-14oz}, Italian, and Japanese (harder to get the selvage in small quantities but I'm working on it).

jedihabitat do you have the name of the shop? are you one of the many apprentices drafting cutting and sewing up denim there?

looks very good, i like the inside corner of the backpocket stitching. is the shop completely bespoke, or does the customer choose from a list of pre-made fits and patterns?

Really nice. I'm not a fan of the selvage belt loops, though. I'm with poly in the too many belt loops camp (on the next one, I'd either keep the middle back, or the 2 on either side), but the construction looks top notch.

Are planning to go Ande Whall or DJ?

Unfortunately the shop that I worked with (which was completely bespoke) has closed its doors it was called Work Custom Jeans. that said I am completely dedicated to keeping bespoke jeans alive. I still work closely with my teacher and mentor, Brian Kim, who is the co-owner of the shop. With us it's always been about keeping true to tradition, true I deviated a bit, but the concepts of vintage denim still shine thru.

Also, thanks for all the comments/feedback I appreciate it all. I'm working on 2 new pairs of jeans as we speak I expect them to be done by the end of the week or shortly there after. One pair is for me and the other is for my tiny girlfriend. Pics to follow. I should be ready to take orders in a month or so. I have about 10 orders that I need to fill in that time. Thanks again.

Those look great. Congratulations on creating something so personal.

The fit is really nice to look at. Not a fan of big pockets myself, but that you made them yourself makes it that much better.

Anything you would have changed, now that you have worn them around a bit?

Guest Arcarsenal

Those are some really slick jeans. Well done! I really dig all the little details that set them apart from any other denim, especially the sticthing detail near the back pocket rivets.

this thread turned out to be different than what i thought. i remember this thread a while back, http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=5669 , and this guy was doing his velcro fly and everything. props on your jeans looks pretty good.

Thanks for all the support, criticisms and suggestions guys. I have recently finished 2 new pairs of jeans that I wanted to to share with you. Let me know what you think!

My new jeans:

i1fg2h.jpg

20r61kh.jpg

k03iom.jpg

Info about the Jeans:

Denim: Selvage, Manufacturer unknown, but believed to be Japanese

Preshrunk

Hidden rivets on back pockets

No rivets on front of jean

Thread: Color: Black 10

Double top-stiched inseam and hem

Slevage shown in back pockets, waistband, and zipper

My GFs first pair:

2u7skup.jpg

20pt3qw.jpg

ixe68h.jpg

Jean Info:

Denim: Italian-Candiani, dark indigo, stretch, blue greenish weft

Preshrunk

Zipper fly, black button

No rivets

detailed topstiching on coin pocket and back pockets (don't think you can see it tho)

Thread: Dark Forrest Green 792

*GFs jeans were a pain in the ass, she's a small 24 and likes super low-rise jeans, but I'm happy with my first attempt...I think they need to be tighted in the hips and thigh, and the front and back rise need to to be about an inch lower, but other than that I think they will look sick when they start to fade.

Hey all, I'm thinking about making a kind of concept jean...nothing too flashy or anything but something maybe a bit more complex then the classic tride and true 5 pocket jean...any ideas, suggestions, thoughts on what would you would like to see on a pair of jeans...

I've always wanted to do a drop yoke with a cinch strap, maybe some patch front pockets...just typing out loud. I'd really like to hear what you guys are into.

Hey all, I'm thinking about making a kind of concept jean...nothing too flashy or anything but something maybe a bit more complex then the classic tride and true 5 pocket jean...any ideas, suggestions, thoughts on what would you would like to see on a pair of jeans...

I've always wanted to do a drop yoke with a cinch strap, maybe some patch front pockets...just typing out loud. I'd really like to hear what you guys are into.

I thought you just said nothing too flashy. I don't know about that, personally I'm loving the classic 5 pocket jeans the best. Unless you can come out with something to "outclass" it, something even more functional you know.

Well I don't ever carry my mp3 player in my jeans but I know some people who do and totally hate it when they get an mp3 fade. Most of the time the pocket's too tight for it to even fit and when it finally does, it looks pretty awkward.

A tight and fitting pair of jeans with loose and deep pockets. Heh.

Oh and I just read that Kiya is working on a pair of jeans specially designed for cyclists, maybe you can go along that line. Different target audience though. Maybe make one with a yoyo friendly pocket.