Custom Jeans in LA

jedihabitat

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Levi's used to only have one back pocket, which I think is very cool. I rarely use my right-back pocket and practically never use the left-back one.

I have also thought about what it might be like to get rid of belt loops or the small, fifth-pocket. Basically trimming it down to just what I need; high quality fabric and a good cut.

I don't really even use the front pockets on my pants actually. No pockets at all though would look pretty weird I think though.

Good luck with everthing.

Karl, the jeans look amazing.. keep it up.

Hopefully we'll be working together in the future...

any of you guys into black or black overdyes? I have this dope dark blue weft black overdyed Candiani from italia. pics to follow...thanks for the suggestions. I like the the one back pocket idea as well. and habia I used to skate a lot but my knees and ankles really can't take much more of it, but I've always wanted to design a pair of jeans for skaters that's stylish and functional (has reinforcement in all the right places) so that's where my head is at. thanks again guys new pics to follow soonish.

• 2 months later...

hey all,

I've been working hard at starting my own bespoke jean business here in LA...along the way I've been making jeans for all sorts of people...the only thing is i haven't been able to take pics of a lot of them. I did manage to get a pic of a pair of super skinnies I made for my gf out of japanese kaihara stretch denim. thye've gone thru one wash after about a month of wear so they shrunk up a bit but have since streched out. I'd say about 1/4 inch, so they look perfect now. here are the pics!

6wxf6z4.jpg

8fyqqvt.jpg

81his6p.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey all just wanted to give everyone a quick update on what I'm doing here in LA. So I've been making jeans for about 5 months now. In the New Year I registered and opened my own business and shop. It's called Rogue Territory Custom Jeans. The shop is located inside American Rag's World Denim Bar...So I've been there for the past month. Things are going great. My shop will be featured in Details Magazine in March's Issue so check that out. I've also been making a lot of jeans. If any of you are in the neighborhood come by and say hi. You can also check get my contact info and check out my blog by clicking on the image below. That's it for now!

Dude!

Congrats man, i'll see you next month in LA, i'll need you to make me a pair of shorts for the summer.

Wow, if I'm ever in LA I'll definitely come by!

Do us sufu folk get a discount? ;)

Full price or it didn't happen.

This whole custom denim thing reminds me of the Rising Sun denim tailors and label in Pasadena. Do you know about them? Anyways, there are a few other superfuturists in L.A. who're being a little too hush hush about making their own denim, it's time they come out and reveal their work like you.

Hope you can visit our Socal Meetup thread in the superofficial forum. We're all going to plan to meet up at the Barney's Hangar sale in Santa Monica this and maybe next saturday. We'll try to stop by American Rag.

Dude!

Congrats man, i'll see you next month in LA, i'll need you to make me a pair of shorts for the summer.

Thanks man, look forward to seeing you. I'm excited to see what ideas you have for your ummmm what are they called??? Jorts? Haha

• 2 weeks later...

Check it out!

ekku8l.jpg

Taken straight from page 144 in the March 2008 issue in Details Magazine. I typed it out word for word for y'all.

Where to Buy Your New Favorite Pair: Rogue Territory

Nothing will turn you into a bespoke-denim snob faster than an afternoon spent trying on baggy-assed five-pockets in a claustrophobic fitting room. L.A.'s new Rogue Territory, a denim altelier inside American Rag's World Denim Bar in Hollywood, makes bespoke and made-to-measure jeans with a huge variety of fabrics (raw indigo, Cone Mills selvedge), cuts (five-pocket, relaxed), and hardware (rivets and buttons in copper and silver). Better yet, owner Karl Thoennessen can clone the pair you've worn to death after just three 45-minute visits - which is probably less time than it would take to find a worthy option at a boutique. Custom pairs from $495

to see a full pic copy and paste the link below in your browser:

http://i30.tinypic.com/1yk6sl.jpg

Congratulations on the opening at Denim Bar and the recent press, Karl.

I live in Burbank but haven't dropped by American Rag in months--can't wait to see your set up. Do you have a waiting list yet? You probably will soon.

It's also been great following this thread and seeing someone carve a living/business out of something they feel passionate about. Do what you love and fuck the rest.

Let me know when you're going to take Rogue Territory public and need investors. I'll be there.

And when you blow up, sell out, and go all Evisu on our asses, I want my cut of the blood money.

<insert smiley icon here to make clear I'm joking>

• 1 month later...

Thanks man! you should definitely come and check out the shop someday. And, as of right now I've been swamped with work and getting a steady stream of new clients.

If you haven't already, check out all the new projects I've been working work on my website rogueterritory.com.