Custom Jeans in LA

jedihabitat

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi jedi im a newbie this is my 3rd post. i think you have some great stuff there. hope your business takes off and flies. we need more independents. ones with creative people. im an old retired guy now for 13 years. two years ago i decided to make my own jeans. so far i made 3 pair using old ones to make the patterns. not so good they are now my grubbies for working around. then made my own pattern and made 2 pair that i can wear. they are an ok look for an old guy.

now i am trying to find selvage. the only leads have been london and new york, do you have any other leads? i have a black bull denim that i like from denver,dont know the other its a smooth finish no rib indigo. that shows vertical and horizontal weave faintly on the face. have you any idea what it is?

hi jedi im a newbie this is my 3rd post. i think you have some great stuff there. hope your business takes off and flies. we need more independents. ones with creative people. im an old retired guy now for 13 years. two years ago i decided to make my own jeans. so far i made 3 pair using old ones to make the patterns. not so good they are now my grubbies for working around. then made my own pattern and made 2 pair that i can wear. they are an ok look for an old guy.

now i am trying to find selvage. the only leads have been london and new york, do you have any other leads? i have a black bull denim that i like from denver,dont know the other its a smooth finish no rib indigo. that shows vertical and horizontal weave faintly on the face. have you any idea what it is?

hey atailor thanks for the support and welcome to your newest obsession haha, it's great to hear of all these guys like yourself on here dabbling in their own design in construction. We should totally have selfmade denim party someday. Anyway, as far your question about the denim you have, I can't think of anything that it might be, maybe if you attached a pic it'd be easier to figure out. As far as denim goes I have a couple of people I use here in LA. Mostly Cone stuff, but I can get some great Japanese selvage as well. My Cone connection is denim sourcer called Top Textile, they get some japanese stuff as well and all their selvage goes for $4.25 a yard. I'd check them out first. They're in downtown on Towne and 7th. I can give their phone # as well if you'd like it. Good luck with your new projects and denim hunting and let me know if you have any other questions.

• 3 weeks later...

hey! ya it's always good to have people stop by that have the same passions as I do, it doesn't happen very often. hopefully I get those jeans started next week. I have a few other jeans I'm working on as well so hopefully I can post them all at the same time. till next time...I expect to see some good wear on those AWs too :)

it was great meeting you too, it's always cool to run into people that share the same interests in denim that I do. At AmRag it doesn't happen all that often. Hopefully I'll get to those jeans

sometime next week, I'm super excited to see what the finished product looks like. I'll post pics when they're completed. Keep in-touch and next time I see you I expect to see some major wear on those AWs. Till then

jedi can you give me some advice please.

i soak and then dry my denim in a hot dryer before cutting.

later when washed the waist and seat get snugger but stretch out later i will be allowing for that next.

but although i allow an inch or so in the length after several washes the get too darn short. is this the way of denim or am i using cheap stuff?

alex

• 2 weeks later...
This whole custom denim thing reminds me of the Rising Sun denim tailors and label in Pasadena. Do you know about them? Anyways, there are a few other superfuturists in L.A. who're being a little too hush hush about making their own denim, it's time they come out and reveal their work like you.

Hope you can visit our Socal Meetup thread in the superofficial forum. We're all going to plan to meet up at the Barney's Hangar sale in Santa Monica this and maybe next saturday. We'll try to stop by American Rag.

Your write,

We will have a picture up very soon of what we are doing over here at Rising Sun Indigo Goods. Ive had a friend of mine wearing our buckle back style with crotch rivet for about 6 months now their made with Cone selvage and they should be good and worn. I have been planning on posting them up here and will do so very soon. Im glad I saw this post.