Justifying this consuming mess

hewmiri

djrajio I don't know if you're taking a stab at someone or honestly opening up because I don't pay attention to the recent purchases thread here but I really do think that if I were to choose the worst thread on superfuture it would be that one. I really don't see how ANYTHING good can come out of comparing the size of our wallets. Taking pictures of a pile of brand new stuff for the purpose of bragging to strangers is a bit disgusting to me.

I see it more from the showing nice clothing point of view rather than the wallet size perspective. to be honest I look at that thread quite a bit cause to me its interesting to see what other people have bought. but I can see what you mean and I'm sure that to some its more about showing off than sharing pics/info, but in a way its not much different than posting waywt pics. you're showing off your appearance and clothes, for many different reasons/justifications obviously.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOW ELSE U GON GET FRESH?

honestly though, as snobbish as this may sound, i think the only people who are pissed at others for buying expensive clothes are the ones who cannot afford it.

Fashion for me is a way of self-expression. While I love watching runway shows and seeing all of the influences and references, I always gravitate towards the same style in the end. The strength of the message that something as seemingly trivial as an outfit can carry fascinates me.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with expressing oneself. Also, buying new stuff (which, to be honest, I don't find as fun as just looking at it) is a form of self-gratification. Who doesn't enjoy treating themselves to something nice?

If anyone criticizes fashion in the way that you are seemingly trying to defend it, I think they are completely missing the point. They are attacking the problem (I actually think it's not a problem at all, but that's a different issue) at the branches rather than the roots. What they are really mad about is the separation of classes in modern society and the privileges of the wealthy.

I see it more from the showing nice clothing point of view rather than the wallet size perspective. to be honest I look at that thread quite a bit cause to me its interesting to see what other people have bought..

I totally agree, having money means nothing if you have no taste.

• 2 weeks later...

this thread needs more shine.

im constantly conflicted with by my distaste for materialism and my fetish to have nice shit and lots of it. somehow i always end up justifying my excessive spending because by convincing myself im not buying 'things' im buying 'art'. but when you have a closet full of clothes you barely wear and a shelf full of records you cant listen to, books you cant read and films you cant watch, it gets kind of rediculous. theres no way any one person should have as much stuff as i have and i often feel guilty about it. its fucked that my persoanl ideals and my lust for culture are forever at odds, but i doubt id have the intellectual capacity to understand that dillema if i didnt consume a rediculous amount of cultural information, and im not going to go biting the hand that feeds me.

wow. interesting, although not quite as pathetic as those self righteous cunts consistently boasting about their successes in the stock market, and with skanky japanese models... online. i find it kind of odd as to why some are so perpetually bitter and critical when they have such seemingly great lives!

but you know, i dont like to single people out or anything...

fuck you, dont be dissin bout my homeboyz djrajio for his successful career! they arent skanky, you wish you could be like him and hang out wit those models and bum rape em! hah!

yeah, online.. so what? you boosting and actin as if you are 'comfortable' with your sexual preference 'online' is what i find 'odd', and dont start with the gay talks!

yeah, they are bitter and critical cause sometimes you act like a tiny lil bitch, niggazzz!

dont be disrespecting my indian homiezzz, consider this a warning!

chris is gay (he is gay)

dont call me a gayist...im not gay and i have nothin against gay people. i have some chinese friends who are gay, but they are good gays. they comps me on my HUGE shangalong, but never hit on me or nothin like that... so its cool.

but this chris guy is what i like to call a biatch gay... the mother of all bitches that gives gays a bad name on the street...

Will the chris bashing ever really stop?

To be on topic though, I like recent purchases because it shows the clothes in a different context. I don't think most people use it as a wallet measurer, with some exceptions.

why you gotta be on his side and not wit the boyz?

we got no prob wit him bein gay, just that he got a fuckin attitude to show to ma man djrajio that pisses me off. and that hes givin the other gays a bad name cause hes bein a biatch gay, know what ima sayin?

i dont reccomend anyone to start a thread bout hatin this chris guy, cuz i fear that that thread is gonna jammed up the other threads man!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by djrajio viewpost.gif

I buy lots of Julius to compensate for my below-average self-esteem. I post all my bonuses in superconfessional to make myself feel superior or better than others. I tell everyone I am quitting superfuture because I don't care about clothes any more. Then I come back to post again in the next few days because I loose the high. I can never be content or satisfied w/ whatever I have. It's never enough or good enough.

fixed! :)

oh_snap.jpg

This is a really good thread idea.

At first I started upgrading my clothing because I went to a private college, where everyone dressed kind of preppy to a degree, I was still wearing a size too large band shirts, and some pac sun jeans, chunky skater shoes. I thought in my head, "Hey, to get any girls here, I am going to have to upgrade my clothing a bit." I was also heavily into the hardcore scene at the time, and that influenced me as well. So I got some slimmer jeans (nothing compared to slim today), some shirts a size smaller, some sneakers that weren't chunky. And bam, started dating a girl right after that. Then I broke up with that girl, and i still really didn't have much "nice clothes" then at all, I had some lucky brand jeans that i wore, that were a bit better than my previous clothing... and then I started to care a bit more about what i wore. This was junior year of college, I started buying stuff from JCrew/Polo/Urban Outfitters mostly and While alto of it didnd't fit perfectly, it still wasn't sloppy... but soon after bam another girlfriend, cause before this trying to mingle in parties a black band tee that said integrity with a huge skull on it and camo shorts wasn't really working out for me...

Then for the past two years, i've been constant trying to redefine my look.

Why I do it? I like to present myself in a way that doesn't look sloppy/looks decent/doesnt look like every single bro out there. I've always tried to stay away from what was popular with the masses, even if i wore some of the same pieces as them.

Overall, if my clothes fit well, and i like how they look on me, i will be more confident in everything I do socially/in work/etc. Just putting in the slight extra effort that most males don't put in, coould improve my image to my social network/coworkers, etc overall.

Sadly the reason I like clothes is not for the art effect, the little details, etc, for me its part of my image i like to portray, and how I like to express myself to everyone else. If you see some deshevled guy wearing a size XL shirt when he should be a medium, with some jeans that don't fit, and sneakers he wears running, you aren't going to think in yoru head, that guy is someone who is well put together, etc. Girls are especially not going to think this, unless the dude is "omgz so hot".

I try to limit my spending, and I think I do pretty well, I try to buy less and less since coming to SUFU, and more quality pieces that I know that fit well. I am also making much smarter choices about how much to spend on certain things, etc. I used to go into a store and buy things at retail all the time, and not think twice.

Overall I like to express myself, of the kind of person I want to be seen as, when others look at me.

fuck you, dont be dissin bout my homeboyz djrajio for his successful career! they arent skanky, you wish you could be like him and hang out wit those models and bum rape em! hah!

yeah, online.. so what? you boosting and actin as if you are 'comfortable' with your sexual preference 'online' is what i find 'odd', and dont start with the gay talks!

yeah, they are bitter and critical cause sometimes you act like a tiny lil bitch, niggazzz!

dont be disrespecting my indian homiezzz, consider this a warning!

wow, good one.

i dont even feel it's necessary for me to respond with any scathing remarks, almost, because im assuming you are nine. and because your username and signature already make you out to be as twatty as possible.

A lot of my friends often wonder why I spend as much money as I do on clothes (which really isn't much relative to some of the people on this forum), and honestly I don't expect them to understand why, because there is a distinct separation of what we value. Just like I don't understand buying every console on the market, and every new title that's released because I don't place a high value on gaming, I wouldn't expect them to understand why I feel the need to drop nearly $300 on a pair of jeans.

I don't believe any of us neccesarily have to justify our spending habits on fashion. The people who don't have an appreciation for fine cluthing will never understand our spending habits, but so what?

the danger im personally finding is letting "fear of loss" and a collectability attitude dominate your purchases

its so easy to get wrapped up in the idea that you got to buy something before it sells out, ceases production etc

even if its something you cant see urself wearing for more than a few times, sometimes i think its better to get it now than regret it later

i think the problem with materialism is the more clothes u buy the less u can wear.. it becomes more of a temporary rush (from spending money) than a real chance to put together a great outfit day after day..

its like half the time i buy something now it only satisfies me for a second until i know what else i got to buy to go with it or whatever

thus why i love dry denim

the simplicity and utility of it is really appealing in this day and age

sorry for the sloppy post but im at work

damn trouser king cobra just got owned

He's probably not a retarded mongrel who wanders aimlessly in the sewers and on the Internutz though, I guess he's just an alias of some mischievous sufu poster, too bad he isn’t funny. Not every, troll who post, can bring the funny, like, Vaklav.

I buy lots of Ann D. and Rick Owen to compensate for my below-average self-esteem. I post all my shit on Recent Purchases to make myself feel superior or better than others. Then I sell it all away in the next few days because I loose the high. I can never be content or satisfied w/ whatever I have. It's never enough or good enough.
wow. interesting, although not quite as pathetic as those self righteous cunts consistently boasting about their successes in the stock market, and with skanky japanese models... online. i find it kind of odd as to why some are so perpetually bitter and critical when they have such seemingly great lives!

but you know, i dont like to single people out or anything...

personally, chris, you didn't even come to mind when I read djrajio's post...other people did however...

regardless, does it really matter?

He's probably not a retarded mongrel who wanders aimlessly in the sewers and on the Internutz though, I guess he's just an alias of some mischievous sufu poster, too bad he isn’t funny. Not every, troll who post, can bring the funny, like, Vaklav.

Oh Vaclav.... *single wistful tear drops from left eye*

i curious about the lifestyles that some of our more highprofile members lead.

alot of people dress great and seemingly have great wardrobes consisting of expensive designer labels. i'd like to know what kind of cars they drive, about their housing, and how much income they've got in the bank. are they really part of the jetset, or do they only look it?

i curious about the lifestyles that some of our more highprofile members lead.

alot of people dress great and seemingly have great wardrobes consisting of expensive designer labels. i'd like to know what kind of cars they drive, about their housing, and how much income they've got in the bank. are they really part of the jetset, or do they only look it?

Yeah, this is an interesting question.

Where I grew up, there was a character stereotype that by definition, dressed flashy and drove an expensive automobile, but lived in a shack. It was about how you rolled when you were out on the town.

I am reminded of St. James Infirmary Blues:

Now, when I die, bury me in my straight-leg britches,

Put on a box-back coat and a stetson hat,

Put a twenty-dollar gold piece on my watch chain,

So you can let all the boys know I died standing pat.

Although there is no evidence that the speaker in the song was poor.

I think, though, that probably the most expensively-dressed members of this forum are not fronting.

And if I were one of them, I sure wouldn't say. ;)

i can't fathom it, but do some members actually prioritize wardrobe over living accomadations? i think i read an interview (beinghunted interviewed sufu) years ago. i can't really recall who got interviewed, but i specifically remember the sufu representitive mentioning something to the extent like some of the sufu frequenters would buy balenciaga and lived in a shack...or something.