Justifying this consuming mess

hewmiri

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd also be interesting to see what kind of % of their income some people here save for retirement (yah boring talk).

I'll hook you up with my accountant. I mean wtf??

I live in a shack made from Balenciaga bags.

I live in a shack made from Balenciaga bags.

then you have money and are not faking the funk. i couldn't afford to live in a shack of balenciaga bags. i had to settle for fuckin coach vinyl bags.

anyway i don't want people to misunderstand. i am not implying that theres anything wrong with dressing great while eating at mcdonalds and living in a tent, but it's just something that i don't think i could do. it's good to have money.

fuuma, your wardrobe seems really expensive from what i remember. you live in montreal right? i think thats probably an easy city to be young and glamorous in, i lived there for a few months and it was probably the cheapest i lived since i moved out of my parents. low rent, cheap food all over, vibrant nite life and just a nice city to walk around, without doing much. plus them cold ass winters probly make for alot of at home time where money can be saved for frivilous spending later. shit, now i want to move back. i miss cinema du parc, but i heard its garbage now anyways.

I'm a first year college student so it's a different matter.

But I live in a small house that I share with 3 other students. I take the bus or my bike, or bum rides from other students. I don't really give a shit about going to expensive places at night though because in the end 50GBP for a night really isnt that much.

That being said, I buy clothes as if I lived in a Villa, drove a Mercedes, my dad had bought a building for the school, and I had VIP at the best club in town every night.

I also save some money though. Then I blow it all on traveling.

or whose parents are still bankrolling their kids...

Yeah it blows me away how many posters are still in high school, with pairs of Evisu, Skull, Nudie, etc. When I was in high school, I had 2 pairs of thrift store jeans and the rest of my wardrobe was from Costco.

That's how I justify my own fashion spending (which is not really a whole lot). Growing up, I never had new clothes or anything remotely cool, so now that I have a little bit of disposable income, I am kind of making up for lost time. I'm already pretty tired of the whole scene, but now that I'm done growing it's easier to think of my purchases as investments.

Listen, if someone chooses to live his life in a different manner to look better, than that's their prerogative. I think it's a little insane, but I also know of people in Queens and Brooklyn that sleep in their Lexus so they can maintain their "cred."

If it makes you happy...

i wore nothing but gap and nautica jeans until at least college. then i upgraded to levis premium. even in college and having an income, what's considered fashion on this board was the furthest thing from my mind. only when i started really working did i even have enough money to spend on stuff like nice jeans.

Yeah it blows me away how many posters are still in high school, with pairs of Evisu, Skull, Nudie, etc. When I was in high school, I had 2 pairs of thrift store jeans and the rest of my wardrobe was from Costco.

That's how I justify my own fashion spending (which is not really a whole lot). Growing up, I never had new clothes or anything remotely cool, so now that I have a little bit of disposable income, I am kind of making up for lost time. I'm already pretty tired of the whole scene, but now that I'm done growing it's easier to think of my purchases as investments.

This basically sums it up for me. I mean, jhey's what, 14? And the kid has more than one pair of $200+ jeans. Back in the early days of high school my clothes were cheap because it didn't make sense to buy stuff that was going to be outgrown in a year or two. Once I hit junior year and got a job, I started buying my own clothes, but a part-time job still meant Levis and mall stuff.

I went to university, picked up a sweet summer job making way more than enough to cover school, and so the new-found disposable income (and lack of any growth spurt threat) meant I could look at clothing as a long-term investment. So I justify my more expensive clothing as a better alternative to a small pile of cheap clothing. Basically, the cliché quantity versus quality argument. That and as I've grown, I've been less interested in having a closet with a rediculous amount of variety; I want a more cut-down, essential closet filled with quality, versatile pieces. I'm less tempted to blow my money on a cool tee that I'll be bored with by month's end.

In senior year, I had six pairs of shitty denim. And they were all slightly different shades of blue. Now I've got a pair of APCs and a beater pair of Levi's, and combined, they cost the same as the pairs back in high school. Sure, my wardrobe is larger now, both physically and financially, but as a kid, all I wore were tees and jeans, and the occasional sweater. I had a coat for spring/fall, and a winter ski jacket. I've got a far more varied wardrobe now, and it's a lot easier to justify my consumerism when I can say I at least have more bases covered, depending on event, weather, etc.

So am i to assume there is now a sufu equivalent to being hood-rich?

It'd be nice to know where some of the top shelf sufuers where their items and what they are wearing them to. I honestly can't imagine anyone in florida, especially gainesville, orlando, jacksonville, tallahassee areas in annd/julius/nn/etc... With the outdoors and the beach playing such a large role in the culture and atmosphere, it would seem very out of place. In cities such as nyc/boston/chicago and a few others, i can see the outfits working well though.

• 2 weeks later...
It'd also be interesting to see what kind of % of their income some people here save for retirement (yah boring talk).

I saved 50% of my income for the last few years on my retirment 403b fund. I don't look ridiculous expensive but I think I have acquired a versatile wardrobe that makes me look great for the long run without eventually turning into a label/cotuour clown 5 years later.

One thing I like about superfuture is that it has a good amount of people who love fashion yet have a variety of financial backgrounds (many not being rich and the stereotypically "jetset"). Having an expensive rental apartment is something I don't put very highly. Building a wardrobe seems like something productive to do rather than looking drab in order to pay for a risky mortgage or rent an extravagant room.

I think also for many city-dwellers, the city you live in is something one must take into account. Not many people need a huge house to live interestingly in a city like NYC. Ever seen the book tokyo style? I saw many people have super-small apartments in tokyo PACKED with designer aparrel and acessories. I myself wouldn't mind living in a small room with a grand closet/display-room as long as it's in a large grand city.

Isn't there a thread where we take pictures of our rooms?

what is this "i dressed shitty...i was poor" coming out of the closet shit??

Yeah. That's something I agree with you jmatsu. It's foolish to say I was poor therefore I looked like shit. The only real reasons why people dress shittily is ignorance, apathy, or being too fat.

I buy lots of Ann D. and Rick Owen to compensate for my below-average self-esteem. I post all my shit on Recent Purchases to make myself feel superior or better than others. Then I sell it all away in the next few days because I loose the high. I can never be content or satisfied w/ whatever I have. It's never enough or good enough.

bonecrushing

I buy lots of Ann D. and Rick Owen to compensate for my below-average self-esteem. I post all my shit on Recent Purchases to make myself feel superior or better than others. Then I sell it all away in the next few days because I loose the high. I can never be content or satisfied w/ whatever I have. It's never enough or good enough.

This was pretty funny.

I was thinking the same thing. in Highschool I was wearing Tommy Hilfingar and Nautica, I guess it was pretty balling back then though. personally, I wouldn't spend non-disposable money on clothing, ever. that means having money for mortgage payments, food, living, travelling etc is the priority.

hewmiri, if you think about it long enough, from various angles, I think you'll find that there are no acceptable justifications for consumption/consumerism.

If we're going to get philosophical about it, you can only prove that there is a justification against consumerism is if there is somehow a 'moral obligation' of preservation and non-consumption that each individual has.

Now, if I remember my ethics couse correctly that would require a divine law conception, which most of our law systems are rooted in admittedly, or a virtue ethical system which has never really left the realms of philosophy.

Actually, I suppose under rule-utilitarianism non-consumerism on the part of all humans could be seen to lead to 'maximum happiness' in the longer term of decades... under case-utilitarianism there would be nothing to say that an individual act of consumerism causes less happiness than more, but then again case-u also allows you to kill a 3 year old to save two 3 year olds so I guess we can discredit that.

Having gone on some futile robideaux-esque ramble, I guess it is indeed the case that we can't justify our consumerism unless it's proven to be eco-friendly, long-lasting and fairtrade.

this coming from a guy who swears by those creepy books about how to seduce wimmins? (aka how to manipulate low self esteem girls into hooking up with you and your inferiority complex)

this coming from a guy who swears by those creepy books about how to seduce wimmins? (aka how to manipulate low self esteem girls into hooking up with you and your inferiority complex)

Hey leave him alone, he won a bajillion fuckin dollars at his money factory job. He's got a lot to think about

Lol. Who are you? Don't hate the player, hate the game.

i read about how other members dressed totally different during hs then now. honestly, besides the label upgrades/variety i don't think that i dress much different...though it changes up depending on social situation. i do think that there should be a kind of equillibrium with the way one dresses/his wardrobe and his lifestyle (music/hobbies/lifestyle etc). if not, i usually can't take them seriously as an individual (even if they dress great). a ludicrous example would be if someone like tangerine or still listened to shit like backstreetboys (which i assume they don't).