Thoughts on Oliver Twist style?

verb

Huh? The whole point of the "Oliver Twist" style is that it's ill fitting clothing put together in a very haphazard way, however it still fits well together.

Having each peice measured exactly to size would fit the upper class style of the time, but not the style we're discussing.

exactly. although i still think you have to be careful with how the pieces fit, i want mine to fit well it just isnt going to be the traditional 2 sizes down SF fit.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the "Oliver Twist" thing is a really cool look if you pull it off right, it would be pretty cool to see someone walking down the street like that. Classy but comfortable, with all the textured materials.

I've got a grey tweed blazer that sort of works like that, kind of wish it was more brown though.

Slightly related, I saw a guy wearing a suit and overcoat with a poorboy hat yesterday, this reminded me of that. It looked pretty good except that everything was modern materials and fitted way too big on him.

Eh. If I saw anyone wearing some oliver twist steez I'd just think he's one of those guys who likes to dress in period shit and go to Charles Dickens festivals. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but instead of thinking oh it's his unique style or whatever, it's more like guys who dress up for Star Trek/Star Wars conventions. Did that make any sense?

the first thing that came to mind was Y's for men - i really like their knitwear and patchwork pieces, and they could certainly be incorporated into this sort of look.

but i think the fun is in finding appropriate articles to wear without turning to something already ready-made! digging up old pieces, tailoring and frankensteining, etc...

but i think the fun is in finding appropriate articles to wear without turning to something already ready-made! digging up old pieces, tailoring and frankensteining, etc...

I'm with you here. I throw most of my old shit away but i've held on to a pair of dark brown heavy wool pants for some reason. This must be why!

Now the main issue becomes finding the proper boots to wear as the only ones I know of in this style are Carpe Diems at $1k :(:(:( Richard Kidd had some good ones too but also in the $800+ range.

2czqa9l.jpg

the little guy on the lefts outfit could probably be put together straight from something like the Kapital Jeans collection postet in superdenim, but perhaps more in earth tones than indigio. I really like the slouchy fit of his pants aswell. Thats key imo, to avoid the suit pants vibe. High waist and loose fit!

This is personlly the look I like in this, not at all the top hat/silk scarf thing, since that would be far too costumey for me.

I agree with cottons suggestion on experimenting, but on the other hand, if I actually found some nice wool pieces thrifting, I probably wouldny boil them :)

yes i am very much into the style from the 1800's my influence of dressing i get from france in the 1800's more then england. since were talking about the 1800's i wanted to know does anyone know about the handbag/trunk brand goyard i think it sells only in barneys and other high end stores but i wanted to know if anyone knows where i can buy it online thanks again

I have heard of the company goyard they are supposed to be amazing quality handmade and monogrammed all over their bags like LV but less commercial. As far as I can tell they don't sell to other stores my guess is that you have to go to the store in france and buy them in person. I need a new wallet and how nice would it be for it t be goyard :D

yes i am very much into the style from the 1800's my influence of dressing i get from france in the 1800's more then england. since were talking about the 1800's i wanted to know does anyone know about the handbag/trunk brand goyard i think it sells only in barneys and other high end stores but i wanted to know if anyone knows where i can buy it online thanks again

i cant be bothered looking for it because im writing an essay but there is a clip on Goyard on Mens style. Mostly their clients are royalty/extreamly wealthy aristocrats etc. Very nice stuff, & very expensive

thread reminds me of:

ResidentEvil3-3.jpg

(goddamn...)

That Robert Geller dude has some interesting stuff. And ditto on the thrifting, go heavy on the tweed! Might need some tailoring, but will be way cheaper than looking for some avant garde designer. Some awesome camel hair car coat with tweed trousers and some carpe diem boots... and a top hat. Its like franz ferdinand meets slash...

whilst on the topic of long coats and top hats...

2536.jpg

gangsofny_1.jpg

i was actually going to order a top hat not too long ago... just because i like collecting hats. then i realised i couldn't fuckin ever wear it, not with this current hair cut. i'd just look like depp's willy wonka.

i was actually going to order a top hat not too long ago... just because i like collecting hats. then i realised i couldn't fuckin ever wear it, not with this current hair cut. i'd just look like depp's willy wonka.

I think you made the right call, seeing as Depp's willy wonka made even the Sparrow-craziest of my girlyfriends cringe.

After scouring soho this weekend, I have come to two conclusions:

1) Atelier and John Varvator maintain the best stock for this type of look. Lots of nice boots and coats at Atelier and lots of great jackets, pants, and shirts at John V.

2) Girls have it much easier - I saw a huge display of victorian-esque dresses at a store called IF that I visited on Faust's recommendation.