The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

@salaami - just a ching-chong chinaman trying to survive ;)

@rnrswitch - sometimes i do alternate between washing them inside out and washing them outside in - just to experiment with different denims to see how they will turn out - for this pair of denimes it's been this way. also i'll sometimes scrunch the jeans up into a ball and put a heavy weight on top while soaking.

@dralfonzo - no ironing unless the selveage on the inner leg is not flat then i'll turn them inside out and just ironed out that part

I didn't size up. I'm usually a 34, and these are a 33. For a long time I was unhappy with how tight they were, but they've loosened up a lot over a year, and I'm very happy with them. (This could also be due to muscle loss in my legs since I quit ballet.) I'm glad I went with a 33 since they fit perfect everywhere. Hope that helps.

Re: Coke Wash-

I've been told the primary effect is that it softens your jeans up (people have used in lieu of fabric softener).

Coke is rather acidic..... Remember the middle school experiment of leaving a nail in a can of coke for a week to dissolve it?? Rumor used to be that Coca Cola actually used the Coke syrup to clean the backs of the trucks out since it would eat away any dirt that had accumulated on the metal.... Anyhow, I'd imagine the same thinking is applied here.... acidic soaking breaks down the cotton alittle bit and softens the jeans?? Like doing an enzyme burnout wash on a t-shirt.....

Either way, those Denime's look unreal. Legendary. I mean god damn......

Re: Coke Wash-

I've been told the primary effect is that it softens your jeans up (people have used in lieu of fabric softener).

Using the logic of basic chemistry, it should make the soap less harsh on what you're washing. Yes Coke is acidic (low pH), theres phosphoric and carbonic acid in it, not a ton, but its there. Soap, on the other hand, is basic (high pH), and a much stronger base than Coke is an acid. Ergo, one would expect the Coke to mitigate some of the harshness of the soap by weakening the strength of the base, which is where soap gains its cleaning action.

Using the logic of basic chemistry, it should make the soap less harsh on what you're washing. Yes Coke is acidic (low pH), theres phosphoric and carbonic acid in it, not a ton, but its there. Soap, on the other hand, is basic (high pH), and a much stronger base than Coke is an acid. Ergo, one would expect the Coke to mitigate some of the harshness of the soap by weakening the strength of the base, which is where soap gains its cleaning action.

This post reminded me of an unbelievably stupid ex of mine who loved using "Ergo" incorrectly just to piss me off......

Not that you used it wrong.... I digress..... sorry

For the connoisseurs of Japanese repros...

Evis Lot 2101 'Cowboy' Lee repros, left hand twill denim and handpainted Lazy S....

Deadstock from the early days of Evis(u), picked up in a Yahoo auction and eventually ended up with me after a little saga involving them being sent to Edmond by mistake...pure coincidence that they were sent to a fellow SuFu-er...

Six weeks wear, one hand wash:

dscf3508.jpg

dscf3507.jpgdscf3512.jpg

This post reminded me of an unbelievably stupid ex of mine who loved using "Ergo" incorrectly just to piss me off......

Not that you used it wrong.... I digress..... sorry

That is quite alright, as I would expect one here to be quite off put by memories of incorrect language use, as based on the rep, one isn't supposed to post here if they majored in something other than liberal arts.

And now to watch the red fly...

^ i need to learn the art of handwashing.

i don't know what to do when handwashing, am i suppose to rub the jeans together? or rub my hands on the jeans... rub where it is dirty or rub where i want it to fade?

lightly squeeze and rinse many many times is what i do-

i get minimal indigo loss

everybody wants fades, but no one wants indigo loss...its like everybody wants heaven but nobody wants to die! so silly....imho the people who are averse to water on denim were probably misinformed about washing jeans in the first place, and then the bullshit spread amongst the ignorant. theoretically whats the worst that could happen from washing your jeans? miners didn't give a shit about fades or a washing regimen, and we dickride them everyday(no homo) on sufu....so im washing the fuck outta mine, as needed to maybe put a new perspective on this, and show these hoes the beauty and quality of an okayama rope-dye job!

That's if you are washing w/ Soap...

I only heard of doing coke-soaks w/o anything else. . .

everybody wants fades, but no one wants indigo loss...its like everybody wants heaven but nobody wants to die! so silly....imho the people who are averse to water on denim were probably misinformed about washing jeans in the first place, and then the bullshit spread amongst the ignorant. theoretically whats the worst that could happen from washing your jeans? miners didn't give a shit about fades or a washing regimen, and we dickride them everyday(no homo) on sufu....so im washing the fuck outta mine, as needed to maybe put a new perspective on this, and show these hoes the beauty and quality of an okayama rope-dye job!

I agree salaami, not washing your jawns is a little gross and not necessary to get great fades. but, lots of the heads on here were brought into the fray by shit like the samurai contest - where the winner didn't wash for fucking forever. Kids are looking for contrast. and will go to nasty lengths to get it. Washing=loss of contrast, more vintage/less desirable fade, looser combs, bla bla, may be a misconception, but it's a real common one that's gonna take time, and a lot of examples to the contrary, to overcome imho. Still, I ain't washing my shit haha.