The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

RE cracking: general consensus seems to be that the more you wash the less likely it is you will get the cracking. I did not wash my RRDG very much at all, and held off on the first wash for 8 mos I think, and they cracked like crazy.

My other jeans, I have washed about once a month or a bit less, and no cracks. I realize this is not exactly scientific, but hey.

Also, I think most on here are quick to recommend that you do not need to soak sanforized jeans, but if you do not soak you do not get the "sizing" (?) out, and this will lend to cracking.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

mortimer - Those SDAs are looking great. Question to everyone here though: is there a specific reason why some jeans start to "crack" in between the honeycombs, as seen on mortimer's pair? I rarely see this on most of the jeans posted, but my APCs and now my Sammies have both had this happen. It doesn't bother me that much, I was just wondering if there was a specific reason for why this always happends to me, and if there is any way to prevent it?

I only soaked my jeans for an hour or so. As a result there was a lot of starch left in the jeans, which, as some others have said, makes the denim more brittle. The fact that I didn't wash them for six months can't have helped either...

From now on I'll either buy one wash or chuck my raw jeans in the washer with a little detergent at the highest temperature. Hopefully this will stop the denim cracking. It's the only thing I really dislike about the jeans.

Guest declasse

definately. starch is nasty. it's a relief to throw those new jeans in the washer and see the gooey starch water go down the drain. other than cracking the denim it also collects more dirt and dust after being wet(sweat, rain etc)

Thanks for all the responses about the "cracking" behind the honeycombs. One of the main reasons why it bothers me is because the cracks do tend to pick up a lot of dust and get dirty quickly like somebody else mentioned. I guess I will have to throw my next pair in the wash before I start to wear them, because soaking doesn't get out much of the starch.

Its just general APC-ness that they loose a lot of indigo i guess... Nothin' you can do about it.. But nice looking jeans - but in my oppion they just need a little more uff...

sorry didn't mean to step on anyones feet

nice... not only do we get this kid spamming for his ebay sales, but some decent looking jeans too.

superstar- It might also be the light - there is highlights in those pictures- I took two new ones that show a little more what they look like. I agree apcs can fade wierd and get just a flat look to them but these pictures are a little closer to real life I think:

xapc2.jpg

xapc1new.jpg

I guess I jsut don't midn them but that may just be because I have been looking at them for so long- maybe thats also why getting rid of.

Cheep- I was posting those here to show them before they arent mine anymore. Gimme I am selling them so i can get some loot for new jeans and because they have just been sitting in my closet so I could work on the following. Here are my current jeans which are new standards and not for sale. These got less washing and probably more active wear than the cures had gotten by this time.These also got an extremely cold lake wash.

xxapc1.jpg

xxns2.jpg

my thoughts exactly and with a price like that I need to get some help. I am pretty thin so I was thinking about jammin out some s5000vx hopefully they will fit like the ns- dont worry I'll search for this answer when the time comes.

5000's are kinda baggy compared to NS's, the 0500 and 0710 might be more up your alley...

thanks 7887- I ride my bike everywhere. I hike occasionally but I live near the city so I am always riding back and forth. I would like to say I do more outdoorsy stuff but for the amount of times that I actually go camping I hardly think it affects the wear much- so probably its from riding, walking and sitting on my ass. Also thanks for the tip state.

thanks 7887- I ride my bike everywhere. I hike occasionally but I live near the city so I am always riding back and forth. I would like to say I do more outdoorsy stuff but for the amount of times that I actually go camping I hardly think it affects the wear much- so probably its from riding, walking and sitting on my ass. Also thanks for the tip state.

You're pretty hard on your jeans for just walking, etc....but they look great.

The S5000's have a straight leg, where the APC NS's have a slight taper...don't rule them out though, they're a really good cut.

my thoughts exactly and with a price like that I need to get some help. I am pretty thin so I was thinking about jammin out some s5000vx hopefully they will fit like the ns- dont worry I'll search for this answer when the time comes.
You're pretty hard on your jeans for just walking, etc....but they look great.

The S5000's have a straight leg, where the APC NS's have a slight taper...don't rule them out though, they're a really good cut.

What about S0500? They taper a bit.