The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

might i ask your washing habits? frequency? wachine or hand, soap or none? i think i might start lightly washing all mine every two months or so..

On my first jeans, RRDG I went 8 months (?) and then did a hard wash. They are disintegrating on me. My second pair that I wear regularly are SJ Drys. I soak them at least once a month in the bathtub, agitate a bit with my hands and use a touch of Body Shop soap that was by the tub (I need to get some Bronner's but can not find it). These simply seem to hold up a lot better, fading not cracking/fraying. Note this may be from starching too. And on my Eternals I follow the same as my SJs. The crotch on them is getting worn, but I am sure this is from fit. I realize this is not scientific by any stretch, but from seeing others jeans that seem to last many years vs. people's who have pants wear out in 6 mos, the difference is frequency of washing.

shouldnt it be the other way round? that goes against im guessing what the majority of superfuture would say.

I think so.

shouldnt it be the other way round? that goes against im guessing what the majority of superfuture would say.

The "don't-wash-for 6mths" rule of thumb was established way back and that was how raw denim was introduced to newbies. It was based on the assumption that washing removes indigo to the point that it'll show substantial amount of fading (not wear).

Of couse, it depends on how much wear it's put in and how well the denim retain their indigo, etc. But I just feel that people should know that regular washing doesn't mean u can't get high contrast fades, and jeans last longer as a result too. By not washing, ppl will start to realise that "MyLifeDestroyedDenim" [no pun intended:D ]

well, i think the problem is that, most people (non sufu'ers/denim-heads) wash their jeans very frequently (once a week or so) and don't wear them particularly hard or long or often (because they have other pairs they wear) between washes, so they end up looked washed out with-out no real wear pattern.

There are examples here of good contrast natural fades with frequent washing, but frequent to us is like once a month.

skull 5010xx 6x6 o/w, 1 soak

3.5 months, worn 95% of the time.

no flash

i took these today, and they were just soaked (2 days ago) with samurai thunder soap in warm water.

i'm really hoping my back pockets don't die on me soon.

Fanfuckintastic!

The "don't-wash-for 6mths" rule of thumb was established way back and that was how raw denim was introduced to newbies. It was based on the assumption that washing removes indigo to the point that it'll show substantial amount of fading (not wear).

Of couse, it depends on how much wear it's put in and how well the denim retain their indigo, etc. But I just feel that people should know that regular washing doesn't mean u can't get high contrast fades, and jeans last longer as a result too. By not washing, ppl will start to realise that "MyLifeDestroyedDenim" [no pun intended:D ]

i didnt say that one couldnt get high contrast with frequent washing, i just said your hard and fast "frequent washing=high contrast" isnt fact. sure its possible, but not typical, same goes the "never washing=softer fade" again possible, but not the norm

Some observations I've made:

-jeans that are washed regularly, get high contrast fades

-those who don't until 6mths later, have more overall fades

if all other factors are equal, the opposite is true.

i do agree that not washing your jeans can accelerate their demise but too frequent washing will give you more of an overall fade and can also decrease the life of your jeans.

wear your jeans until they are too dirty, whether its one month or six.

(I need to get some Bronner's but can not find it).

Try an organic food store/hippie type place. I went into a local co-op just to see if they had any natural/organic soap and they actually had Dr. Bronner's. Of course they were in these gallon-sized industrial jugs that I had to pump some out, but I got like a small jar of the stuff for like $3. Although it should be a local co-op or farmer's market type of place, I doubt Whole Foods or Wild Oats will have it.

i didnt say that one couldnt get high contrast with frequent washing, i just said your hard and fast "frequent washing=high contrast" isnt fact. sure its possible, but not typical, same goes the "never washing=softer fade" again possible, but not the norm

DM, the 2nd part wasn't directed at u. It was more like a reminder to those dirty folks that washing often can cause more harm than good. :) And frequent/often by SuFu standard, is every month or two.

i do agree that not washing your jeans can accelerate their demise but too frequent washing will give you more of an overall fade and can also decrease the life of your jeans.

I guess it's up to the person wearing to find the healthy balance, 'cos I always believed that starch + dirt kills denim faster than washing does.