dyeing jeans

Amada

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow I crack myself up .. asleep I was just messing .. But yea dyeing clothes is pretty 1980's man .. after the 2 or 3 washes the cheap arse dye washed out like 90% leaving a slight tint to the white weft yea ..

Why would you buy raw jeans though unless you appreciate the dark blue indigo

if you wanna get creative and ruin jeans and your shoes from bleeding find an alternative dye method ...

use oil .. ;-)

• 3 months later...
has anyone tried to dye light blue jeans into dark dark blue or even "black"?

what about hair dye?

Has SuFu been invaded by a plethora of illiterates or something?

Yes, you can dye your jeans black with clothing dye. No, you cannot dye pale jeans dark indigo with a white weft unless you know how to do hank dying or rope dying and have access to a source of indigo dye.

i was given a pair of obey jeans by their rep last year they were white, i havent had much need for them nor any desire to wear them so ive begun painting the warp black with fabric paint and will be wax coating them as well i will post pics when im done. but that wont be for a while since im preping for a move.

Thanks for the reply.

Wont black dye also give it a non-jeans look with coloring the weft?

Denim is a twill with indigo and bleached (white) yarns, if you flat dye the garment the entire piece will become a solid color, with the indigo or previously dyed portion taking on a darker effect, unless you dye in several passes...

Many black jeans are flat dyed twill, its your personal preference...

if you want to do it right, its going to be expensive. black is a very very hard color to get and requires a lot of dye (and most of it will end up going down your drain)

go to dharmatrading.com and it will give you instructions on how to use their dyes.

Yes.

I also agree with the Procion, and for the person who had used RIT dye, I'd estimate you'll need about 3 times the amount of dye you used, the average pair of jeans is close to 3 yards when you make your calculations...

I have found a bunch of old levis and was wondering if I bought a bottle of RIT black dye, and dyed my jeans, and wore them, would they fade?

Denim indicates wear because about 20% of the yarn recieves indigo dye on an average pair of jeans, as the indigo fades with wear and wash in an uneven and natural fashion, the bleached yarn begins to become visible with time...

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting thread, um, I just "copped" some indigo overdye new standards from the bay.

If people are interested i could post some pics up.

I thought about starting a new thread for japanese overdyed jeans, i cant really find many and would kind of like a pair....... even though the NS's are selvedge..

• 3 months later...

This might fall in the same category.

Have a pair of pants from Whyred pants, not sure, but I don't think they're made out of denim fabric.

Anyway, they're light grey, and I want a pair of dark grey pants, should I try to dye them? What's the success/fiasco percentage on this

I dyed a few clothes already. To give you an idea, to dye a white hoodie in grey, I had to dye it in two times, using each time 2 boxes of rit. If you want a charcoal color, you might need even more than that. Make sure you machine wash it in hot water a few times before you wear it soo the color doesn't bleed anymore on your clothes.

In case you care, some pictures:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=26839

• 1 month later...

bumping an old thread!

so i had a pair of Dior 19cm's that i never wore because i was never happy with the color of it after a wash...and so i thought what the hell, might as well play around with it. so i went to a local fabric store and bought 3 packs of RIT dye. i gotta say the results are pretty succesful and i realize that the dye actually comes out after a few washes (from what i hear...) so my next step would be coating these...ill have the next set of pictures up from post-overdyed-coated pair of diors.

first pic - initial pair worn for a few months

second - dyeing process...put in hot hot water with 2 packs of RIT dye and stirred every 5-6 minutes for about a hour. rinse it out until most of the dye stops leaking out, then repeat the process again with 1 pack of RIT dye. then put in the washer to rinse out all the excess dye then dryer.

three - frontal - not nearly as blueish as the picture show...much more black with red/copper/purple ish shade.

four - probably one of the more accurate color representation.

i found out the RIT dye reveals a somewhat purple/redish tint of black as expected.

i will be overdying it one more time with grey dye to neutralize the redness a slight bit and then coat it. i'll update pics in the next week or so.

overdye.jpg

It's common to use light brown to overdye jeans. The denim still looks like denim, only darker ---- the normally white weft taking on a brownish tint and the blue darkening. This is especially useful in the case where jeans have turned a kind of turquoise or baby blue and you want to get a deeper blue sulphur-top effect.

Since only a relatively light overdye is required, this can actually be accomplished using things like tea, coffee, or fermented persimmon juice ('kakishibu'). I prefer kakishibu, which is available in craft shops like Tokyu Hands. Here are two different types I use.

EPSN4456.JPG

• 1 month later...
no you are not retard, compare to other people''s post, this one is way more productive. as for the final result, i think it's gonna be pretty cool

Good stuff, that has given me the motivation i needed. will post before and after shots. probably be next week.

im excited to get me jeans back.