dyeing jeans

Amada

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, in an effort to better jean consumption, I feel there should be a thread dedicated entirely to OD Black Jeans of all sorts - skinny, slim, regular, baggy, etc.

Notable examples:

Cheap Monday OD Skinny

OAK OD Skinny (they did slim and tapered versions)

Levi's 501 OD

Levi's 505 OD

Uniqlo T-000 OD

Uniqlo S-000 OD

RAF by Raf OD

feel free to contribute pics/information in an effort to better help serve the public.

Also - help me find more black OD jeans with inseams greater than 34. Cool.

Naked & Famous has a pair of black OD skinny jeans in stretch denim. They also just came out with one that's the same model but with a really nice deep purply-blue OD. Neither one of them are selvedge though, but their inseams are 34 or 36 (I can't remember which).

I believe there is a bit of a misunderstanding of what "overdyed" actually refers to.. Neither those DJ-HR01 jeans and PRPS jeans both posted above are overdyed. Those are both just made of black denim.

To overdye you must garment dye the denim, and usually this is done POST production so after the jean as been cut and sewn together, but it can also be done to the denim fabric before it's been sewn.

I believe there is a bit of a misunderstanding of what "overdyed" actually refers to.. Neither those DJ-HR01 jeans and PRPS jeans both posted above are overdyed. Those are both just made of black denim.

To overdye you must garment dye the denim, and usually this is done POST production so after the jean as been cut and sewn together, but it can also be done to the denim fabric before it's been sewn.

my god - is this still coming up - the amount of companies and shops still misusing the term 'overdyed' - gagh.

• 2 weeks later...
Im sure that Nom De Guerre do one too...

Here's the NdG overdye... Really a terrific quality denim. Wear them about once or twice a week, but they're getting some great combs. I'd take fit pics, but it doesn't get bright enough in London! Even with a flash, they just come out as a silhouette.

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Guys, did you read my post above?

Let me reprint it for you:

----------------------------

And let me also add that neither those APCs or KMW jeans are overdyed, they're just black jeans.

Guys, did you read my post above?

Let me reprint it for you:

----------------------------

And let me also add that neither those APCs or KMW jeans are overdyed, they're just black jeans.

I thought an overdye was just dyeing the fabric after it has been dyed a first time. Garment dyeing is when you dye, well, the garment, but I always thought they were different (ie fabric doesn't equate to garment).

Both are correct, but for instance take a look at the selvedge id on the KMW jeans that are referenced above, it's bright white. That means the fabric wasn't dyed after being woven and therefore it's not OD.