Converting a Girl to Better Music

Serge

Okay so I met this girl, beautiful, funny, smart, sweet except she listens to crappy as hell music. Just how crappy? Her favourite musician is Britney Spears. Yeah. So anyways, I'm planning on taking her to a couple concerts, giving her CDs and pretty much focusing as much indie music as I can on her. Anyone ever succeed? Any tips to making an almost perfect girl perfect?

prof is right that you shouldn't force her to be "perfect," but i can still say it's fairly easy to sway someone's tastes if you can generate appeal. i see a lot of college girls listening to john mayer, wilco, and jack johnson to 'stand out' from mainstream pop. in other words, you can probably win her over with cute guys and guitars.

don't do it. what will happen is that she may start to come around to listening the music you listen to, but will only appreciate it at the shallowest level and at face-value. a la my last girlfriend, who said that the high-pitched girlie voice in telepopmusik's "breathe" reminded her of nina simone. and i just thought, what the fuck?...no.

find a cooler girl.

yes. then you will be actually capable of holding a good conversation about music.

Let her listen to what she wants as long as she does not force britney spears shit onto you. In the meantime just give her penis.

Make her a mix cd that blends your tastes in music with hers...eventually she might see the light. And start her out slow, put only the most accessible of your music on the mix.

This has worked for me a number of times.

Well its not like I'm listening to shit thats far out there. I'm into Bloc Party, Digitalism, Daft Punk, Ratatat, that stuff. She just happens not to have much of a connection to new music. One of my friends put her situation as musically retarded.

get her to post on superfuture. maybe along with getting into new music, she'll buy some apc new standards as well.

That would be a dream come true and I do happen to have a pair of New Standards that would probably fit her after being washed.

don't do it. what will happen is that she may start to come around to listening the music you listen to, but will only appreciate it at the shallowest level and at face-value. a la my last girlfriend, who said that the high-pitched girlie voice in telepopmusik's "breathe" reminded her of nina simone. and i just thought, what the fuck?...no.

I agree, She'll definitly start ruining the music you listen to, and you'll regret ever getting her into it.

don't do it. what will happen is that she may start to come around to listening the music you listen to, but will only appreciate it at the shallowest level and at face-value.

word. same thing happened to a girl I turned onto raw denim. she got herself a pair of nudies, but only because I was in a store in nyc and inspected a pair to check out the quality. when she started wearing them around I thought it was the cheesiest shit ever since she didn't know jack about anything else about them.

I'm into Bloc Party, Digitalism, Daft Punk, Ratatat, that stuff. She just happens not to have much of a connection to new music./quote]

You should just take up listening to Britney and J-T, cause that shit's a lot better than your's.

I've spent a lot of time "listening" and "thinking" about pop music, and I've finally come to the realization that it's all the tuneless meanderings of a bunch of mongoloids affecting juvenile postures in public while abusing their various instruments in the hopes of finally escaping the uncomfortable binds of celibacy. Seriously - listen to Avril Lavine - how is it quantifiably worse than Sonic Youth?

Plus I heard she gives awesome blowjobs.

Well, if you heard it, then not only must it be true, but the girl sounds like a real keeper. Not only does she love Brit-Brit, but she is renowned for her talents in the fellatio arts. Is she also a talented biomedical researcher working on the cure for that modern scourge, herpes, as well?

I live in one of Vancouver's suburbs. This girl is probably the coolest in the area. Plus I heard she gives awesome blowjobs.

Good thing she is an ignorant, cultureless woman that's worth settling for! You could easily get a beej or two out of it with not much effort!