ID helpv - Vintage big E selvedge Levi's (pre-1950?) found at rummage sale

jwied82

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also just noticed this stamped on the underside of the pocketbags:

IMG_4282.jpg

This is interesting, while my knowledge on original Levi's is minimal, I must say that I've never seen or heard about this before.

Anyone care to shed some light?

And yah, congratulations on such an amazing find (even if they are repros you couldn't possibly go wrong for that price)!

I'll admit that I'm a slight bit jealous as I know that I'll never be able to find something like that here in the Netherlands!

so then, what do you guys think these would fetch if i ebayed them or something like that.

Some go for $2000+ but they're not in such a good condition as yours are. So I guess you can sell them for at least $5000?(if they're not repros). Well... I'm not sure... I'm not a pro:P

Dear God Boy... Sell them!

The only reason Levis are selling for $5000+ is because it's a fad right now. If you remember the car craze of the 80's where any old car was selling super high and now you can pick them up for 1/5 of what they were selling for.

Buy Low and Sell High.

You could turn that one pair of jeans that don't fit you into 25 pairs of jeans that do!

Do not put them away as an investment. Sell them, put that money in a 401K and you'll make a lot more.

Now as a guy who hits the thrift stores a lot... That is close to the holly grail of finds my friend.

I think I would soil myself if I actually found those. I mean I've found some old jeans, even Big E's but not like those!

Just as you've hit the lottery, would you just put the ticket in your attic or would you cash it it?

Dear God Boy... Sell them!

The only reason Levis are selling for $5000+ is because it's a fad right now. If you remember the car craze of the 80's where any old car was selling super high and now you can pick them up for 1/5 of what they were selling for.

Buy Low and Sell High.

You could turn that one pair of jeans that don't fit you into 25 pairs of jeans that do!

Do not put them away as an investment. Sell them, put that money in a 401K and you'll make a lot more.

Now as a guy who hits the thrift stores a lot... That is close to the holly grail of finds my friend.

I think I would soil myself if I actually found those. I mean I've found some old jeans, even Big E's but not like those!

Just as you've hit the lottery, would you just put the ticket in your attic or would you cash it it?

you're an idiot. vintage denim is not a fad. its been popular and commanding big prices for well over a decade now. These jeans are ONLY going to gain value. Don't sell them. you use the car craze of the 80's as an example, saying that any old car sold for tons and then ended up being worthless...but im pretty sure that the price of a sought after culturally relevant car like a shelby cobra etc has still maintained it's value and even increased. These jeans are cultural icons. They are only going to increase.

you're an idiot. vintage denim is not a fad. its been popular and commanding big prices for well over a decade now. These jeans are ONLY going to gain value. Don't sell them. you use the car craze of the 80's as an example, saying that any old car sold for tons and then ended up being worthless...but im pretty sure that the price of a sought after culturally relevant car like a shelby cobra etc has still maintained it's value and even increased. These jeans are cultural icons. They are only going to increase.

I don't believe personal attacks are called on. You call me an idoit for telling a guy to sell a pair of jeans?

I never said the cars were worthless. I said they loss value. Right now it's muscle cars, 20 years ago it was 50's cars, before that Auburns and cords. They were commanding 1 million+ in the 80's. Now you can pick them up for half a million.

And yes, the jean thing is a FAD, and I'll base this on The GAP, Land End, Lucky and the like selling selvedge jeans. People have always collected it, and they always will. Just now MORE people are into than before. WWII flight jackets had the same thing going on the 80's-90's. Yes they still command great prices, but not crazy prices like jeans are, er were.

I still say sell them on Ebay. It's your best place for a pair like that.

apologies for the insult. I become an aggressive asshole while at my job. I just think these are definitely going to increase in value. Selvedge is in style now but considering the condition....these will always command a good price.

No prob...

I agree that these are a great pair of jeans. And yes, he won't loose any money on them, but he asked about selling them and even thought about altering them... egads!

Who ever buys them I'm sure will put them next to other vintage denim and they'll have a nice long happy life...

if you got 1500 that wouldn't be too bad, i knew someone who had some practically identical...actually a better size 29x31 and only got 1700 so take that for what its worth. I just picked up a 506xx jacket at a thrift store and am cursing myself for not finding it 7 years ago when i could have got more than double for it.

BURN Them motherfucker levis burn them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please please please tell me you're being sarcastic...

btw. this and (I guess it was DDML?) the Lee's found when thrifting must be the absolutely best vintage finds in sufu history... Congratulations!

wow, and to think of all the stuff i find thrifting not to far from serge in the sf bay area. this is the second 506xx jacket i've found thrifting...and as for the lee riders he found at a goodwill (his were early to mid 60s too, with the off center lee tag), i found four pairs of the same ilk deadstock at an old general store, they were all big though, 42x32, ive found some other pieces a pair of late 60s 505s, 501xx with hidden rivets, 50s lee center tag etc etc. i have store in berkeley, so i go out picking a lot. we're a small, cheap store so the "nice" stuff i find i just put on ebay or sell to other store owners. i have a knack for finding deadstock though, i've got hundreds of levis from the 70s and 80s. no 501's, but some 646 684 517, cords, sta-prest. Here's a picture of the fist 506xx i found.

67ye6xd.jpg