Five Favourite Cars

rome1

RSR, you and EvilCrayon are complete internet car beasts and you guys contradict yourselves in every other post, sometimes the same one. How is it you make your top 10 list of cars based on practical real-worldness and strictly for the engineering, not for billionaires, and then you include the F40 and McLaren F1? Fuck out of here. Servicing those cars would cost more than the rest of your list combined.

Beyond that, your list reeks of working-class dreams of magically getting everything for nothing (yeah, your $50K Civic can do an 11 second quarter, but guess what? It's a Civic) and beating the upper classes, but even you yourself will realize someday that the satisfaction derived from owning a car has little to do with what you talk about.

not only do i like japanese denim, i also like japanese engineering:D

but then again, europes got some delicious cars.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stronglhy dislike flat black, it think the only car it works on is the Reventon, but partly because it is coherent with the overall Stealth restyling. if I was a billionaress I wouldn't get it because the finish is also extremely dainty (workers at the lambo factory had to cover it in suede to make sure not to scratch it)

0711_08_s+2008_lamborghini_reventon+side_view.jpg

I am also iffy about all carbon-fiber finishes :(

RSR, you and EvilCrayon are complete internet car beasts

I can't speak for him but I work in the automotive media business. So please don't assume that you know anything about me. I'm treating you with respect and not dismissing you as a spoiled rich kid, or a gold-digger that married rich...because I don't know. So chill with that.

How is it you make your top 10 list of cars based on practical real-worldness and strictly for the engineering, not for billionaires, and then you include the F40 and McLaren F1? Fuck out of here. Servicing those cars would cost more than the rest of your list combined.

You think I don't know that? Obviously a "Top 10 list" is kinda silly because very few will ever own 10 cars at once. Those are just the cars I would desire the most if I had the means to afford any one (or two or three) car I wanted at one time. The F1 is actually a very usable car, with loads of luggage space and 2 outboard seats (though I think they were deleted on US-bound cars). I wouldn't need to be a billionaire to buy one. Just $7 or 8 million net worth would give me the breathing room I'd need.

Beyond that, your list reeks of working-class dreams of magically getting everything for nothing (yeah, your $50K Civic can do an 11 second quarter, but guess what? It's a Civic)

I don't remember putting any Civics on my list. And I certainly wouldn't sink $50K into one. Don't know where you got that idea, but it sounds like another pretty silly assumption. You're taking my argument to the extreme in order to weaken it, and assuming I'm one of those dudes that wants nothing more than a 10-second CRX. You were one of those guys once...don't be ashamed.

When you say "everything for nothing" I don't really understand what you mean. And "beating the upper classes?" Do you mean people with more money than me? People with faster or prettier cars? I don't understand what you mean there either.

The only time I would care about "beating" anybody is if I went to the track specifically to beat some people. When I'm just doing normal stuff I don't care what people think or how rich I look. If I'm driving fast from one place to another I'm just competing against myself.

It's clear that you don't enjoy driving the car as much as you enjoy what it says about you. That's actually too bad; you miss out on a lot of fun cars when you see it that way.

if I was a billionaress I wouldn't get it because the finish is also extremely dainty (workers at the lambo factory had to cover it in suede to make sure not to scratch it)

exactly the kind of thing i was afraid of. but i do like it a lot from photos, i think it looks great on that phantom i posted, but i agree that it looks a lot more suitable on that reventon. i think it has to be one of those things that i will have to see in real life to really be sure whether i really like it or not.

All Jags are inherently supposed to look dated, but the XJS' greenhouse is so 1970's, even the covered light update they put on those later on couldn't help it. The XK8 was such a nice car in the 1990's because it made the XJS look so outdated too.

RSR: Here is a sick (the sickest ever?) example of your practical, easy to own F40:

http://autos.yahoo.co.jp/ucar/search/detail.html?arid=U000000CU0003520247&car_cd=FES026&clid=217288001

U00001586865L.JPG

U00001586865_2.jpg

I'm not gonna say half the stuff that's on my mind, but...even if I cared what "Japan" thinks about a certain car, who the f*** are you? The Emperor himself? You keep talking about "in Japan blah blah car is peasant status" but what qualifies you to say definitively what an entire nation likes or dislikes?

Japan has plenty of car fans just like any other nation, and I'm really curious as to what qualifies you to speak for all of them. I suspect that you're just trying to validate your view of the car world by saying "Well, the Japanese think..." and hoping that people will just swallow that because Japan is soo elite.

I'm not gonna say half the stuff that's on my mind, but...even if I cared what "Japan" thinks about a certain car, who the f*** are you? The Emperor himself? You keep talking about "in Japan blah blah car is peasant status" but what qualifies you to say definitively what an entire nation likes or dislikes?

Japan has plenty of car fans just like any other nation, and I'm really curious as to what qualifies you to speak for all of them. I suspect that you're just trying to validate your view of the car world by saying "Well, the Japanese think..." and hoping that people will just swallow that because Japan is soo elite.

truth.

10char

let me tell you somethin man

muscle beats import every time

Only when it's got the handling to match (Pontiac G8, Corvette, new Camaro). Otherwise it's just a slab of iron that can't brake or handle to save its life.

One of the best-performing American cars right now is the Cobalt SS, which is a 2-liter turbocharged FWD sedan...essentially an "import car."

If the American companies had started making "import cars" a long time ago, they'd be in much better shape.

Your top 10 list says otherwise; come to Tokyo and tell me how many of the Japanese-made cars on your list you see driving through the streets. Actually, make that any of the Japanese-made cars in this thread. It's not far off to think that you'd see as many F40's as you would any of these other cars, depending on where you hang out.

I'd rather drive a Challenger SRT-8 in Tokyo than anything currently made by a Japanese maker.

Your top 10 list says otherwise; come to Tokyo and tell me how many of the Japanese-made cars on your list you see driving through the streets. Actually, make that any of the Japanese-made cars in this thread. It's not far off to think that you'd see as many F40's as you would any of these other cars, depending on where you hang out.

I'd rather drive a Challenger SRT-8 in Tokyo than anything currently made by a Japanese maker.

I don't quite understand this post...

That's sad, as the SRT-8 isn't even the best car in its segment and it is generally a sluggish pig.

I was going to make this point, that what's cool in Japan isn't always better, and in fact sometimes it sucks. I once read that V6 Mustangs were really popular over there. Does that make V6 Mustangs any less shitty?

I don't care what 99% of the car fans out there - even "IN JAPAN" - think. Because most of them are little boys who think that their peens are measured in horsepower and MSRP. The opinions I'd care about would come from Gansan or Ichisima or guys like that. Not some Japanese film producer or crime boss with no taste.

I don't care what 99% of the car fans out there - even "IN JAPAN" - think. Because most of them are little boys who think that their peens are measured in horsepower and MSRP. The opinions I'd care about would come from Gansan or Ichisima or guys like that. Not some Japanese film producer or crime boss with no taste.

Aren't you basing your top 10 list as an 'automotive journalist' on cars you haven't even driven? Don't even tell me you've driven an F1 or an F40. You probably aren't even old enough to remember when the DC2-R launched in America.

Not that anyone has even heard of Gansan or Ichisima or wherever your guys come from, but chances are they are rocking domestic Japanese cars because they're cheap, they also wear man capris, transitions lenses, smoke too many cigarettes, have ass ugly girlfriends from the same country ass town who are part of the car club, and are a general embarrassment to themselves.

Well, the fact that you don't know who they are tells me a lot about you. Gansan is the old guy from the Best Motoring series, and Ichisima is the founder of Spoon Sports. Gansan owns a Carrera GT, in case anyone cares about that.

Your assumptions are embarrassing you, yet you keep making them. I'm 28, which would make me 16 when the ITR launched. I bought mine new in 2001 and owned it until 2007 when it was stolen.

Do you see me making any similar assumptions about you? I don't know how old you are and I don't care. Your posts speak for themselves and I don't need to speculate about unknown information like your age or your mom's education level to refute them.

dismal, I think the reason we don't understand your posts is because every time we post up something, you immediately say something negative about it but your reasoning seems to be about how "nobody in their right mind" would drive it.

I mean sure, we may not have driven many cars which is why my favorite cars aren't ferraris or mclarens but they're still nice cars nevertheless. I like NSXs cause they're a joy to drive, I'm sure there is a ferrari out there which might sway my mind but i still have a spot for silly cars or cars that aren't immediately associated with wealth.

It seems like you base your selection of cars not on how it drives but what type of people drive them.