Headphones? Headphones? Headphones?

Guest freedomfighter

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id say anything under 150 is good...definetly hate clip ons, i would prefer in ear or dj style...

In-ears would be great if you are using them for commuting, cuts out all the irritating noises...also they take up less space then full size headphones.

Crossroads X3i

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3

Westone UM1

Altec Lansing iM616

Take a look at these (and have a go at them if you have an audio store nearby that allows this) and see which one you like more...

They are all within your budget and are arguably the best bang for the buck in their category.

Not exactly a picture of headphones but I figure this entire space warranted a crappy ass picture.

cimg0094ce0.jpg

Here's my setup:

Sony CD-CE595 --> Bel Canto Dac-1 -->

SinglePower PPX3 w/ 2C51 x2 NS Sylvania 6SN7GT --> Zu-Mobius Cable

--> Sennheiser HD-650

Portable: Ipod 60G --> ALO Lineout --> Govibe--> Etymotic ER4P/KSC-75 (This stuff is in that huge mess on the right side of the desk.)

PS3 on the side and topping it off with the N64 and PS2 on the bottom.

That kid with the HD-600's and shuffle is sick even though the sound is going to be nowhere close to its best. Those Thomas the Tank Engine pajamas are what make that picture.

I fucking hate shure. I bought two pairs and both just stopped working. Left ear got fucked up both times. Ugh.

So recently I copped some se530s and I'm starting to think the cable is going out.. I have to wiggle it sometimes cuz the right channel gives out.. Luckily I hear Shure has amazing customer service.. :(:confused:

EDIT: mx400s are one of the best value earbuds. I really liked the mx300s that came with my Rio Karma, and usually just switching out the foamies really helps too. I prefer the ones from Radioshack.

are mx400s good? are seinheissers good in general (earbuds specifically)

Sennheisers in general are pretty good. I haven't tried the mx400s, but the cx-300s are probably one of the best bang for the buck in terms of in-ear headphones. The bass is a bit boomier than ideal and the cord does make a 'rubbing' sound if you're walking/running in them, but imho, it's pretty difficult to find a drastically better sounding set under 100.

Alternatively you could source out some good 2nd hand deals from head-fi. Copped my e4cs @ 80usd with 1 yr odd warranty left, cant beat that

dude they're in-ear headphones. you can beat that with a stick. you might as well be using the guy's used q-tips.

• 4 weeks later...

first of all, i hate the shure e2's. i may be using them incorrectly, but they fit horribly and feel like crap.

i also have the bose triport over ears, but i feel they start to hurt my ears after a while and press down too hard.

but i just got the bose on ear incline mic (the display at the apple store right now). and these are amazing; if you have 200 bucks and dont mind the size---must cop

• 1 month later...

I was looking for some decent headphones and found this thread

I don't want to spend more than $50-60 on each (after discounts, coupon codes, etc...) but want to buy a pair of full headphones and earbud/ear canal headphones. These will probably just be used for listening to music on cd players/ipods/computer and listening to movies on my computer. Nothing super serious but i like nice sound since i listen to a variety of music. I would wear them while traveling in cars, planes, and busses, as well as walking around town. Sound, comfort, then not falling out/off, are what are important to me.

I was looking on headroom and found some decent ones and was wondering if anyone had opinions on these or knew of better options for similar prices.

ear canal buds:

Senheiser cx300-b

Denon AH-C351k

Jays j-Jays

Sennheiser mx 760

full headphones:

Senheisser HD 201

Senheiser HD 205

Senheiser EH 150

Denon AH D301k

AKG K 27i

AKG k 414 p

I basically have no experience and was wondering if anyone had any opinions since i generally trust people here. Peace

^get ER4P instead they are much better. Nothing else quite like the ER4, they are comparable even to some 500+ full size headphones.

and what happened to your current ER6i? Etymotic has great customer service by the way.

Chrono, for full size/not particularly portable get Grado SR60.

for smaller, would you consider the Sennheiser PX100? They fold up small and have good sound quality and construction for the price (around 50 USD).

I got the ER6i in white right after they came out, around 3 years ago. Now something got messed up by the jack and I have to wiggle it around to get the sound out. I guess I could fix them but I want black ones instead and they pop up online for $60.

Are ER4 really worth the extra money? What about the new hf5? I'm also considering the hf2 headset.

it depends on your standards for sound quality.

My standards for audio gear are very high, I personally wouldn't be satisfied with the ER6i. Since you are considering getting the 6i again, the extra 100 or so dollars might not be worth it to you.

I haven't heard the HF2 or HF5 myself, but reviews and impressions I trust seem to indicate that neither are designed with the audiophile in mind, rather to suit the iphone or ipod respectively.

HF2 might be good for you since you did say it would mainly be for use with an iphone.

I think the ER4P is great, wouldn't trade it for another IEM except maybe the UE11, and even then the UE11 might not have treble detail to my taste.

If you are especially curious I do own the ER4P and live in new york, would be glad to let you try them out. Otherwise, I would say don't over think it and just get the ER6i again.