Headphones? Headphones? Headphones?

Guest freedomfighter

seconded on the mdr-v6's, they really have stood the test of time. natural but sometimes, almost too flat sounding. perfect for monitoring. i think they remade them and modeled them as mdr-cd900st?

at home i've used an mdr-f1 for about 6 years, these cans are about as open air as they get. I eventually paired them up to little dot mkv solid state amp. the staging on these things are beautiful. makes me love listening to live cd's, esp female vocals mm. but the pads have died over the years and ill look at getting something from the senn hd range. i would really recommend open air cans unless you need a closed option for dj'ing or privacy to others/yourself.

i wouldn't recommend spending over $200 on a pair of headphones without getting a decent headphone amp. if you use normal stereo amps they just wont power your your highend headphones well enough, as manufacturers have a tenancy to stinge on the headphone outputs. as with all sorts of music equipment just make sure all your products work in harmony without being a drag on another, with headphone systems this shouldn't be too much trouble on your head and your wallet.

as for earbuds, i used to use the infamous sony 888's, good sound and no tinny-ness but they broke after a year. but i treat my portables like shit and have never had an earbud longer than 1.5 years without breaking. i stick to the inner earbud types for the extra doof doof.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all very subjective. I preferred the 60's to the 80's, and I'm hard on my headphones because I don't take care of them.

I totally agree with you about it being subjective.

Someone can just get the SR60's and be completely be happy with 'em but was referring to the best for your money to a handful of people's ears.

Also, upgraditisssssss.

As many have mentioned before, Grado SR-80s are solid for open headphones. Have served me well at home, though I wouldn't really take them out (mine are already sort of falling apart just from home usage, plus the sound leakage issue).

For walking around and such I just picked up a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 "Earsuit" phones, sound quality is nice, appearance is nice, price was reasonable ($100).

ATH-ES7BK_big.jpg

• 2 months later...

Under $70

IEM/Earbud

1-JVC Marshmallow (FX33, 34) ($15) Bassy, recessed mids and highs. I love them with rock. Great value. Kramer mod helps these a lot.

1-Creative ep630 ($23)

1-JVC Air Cushion ($30) These sound similar to the marshmallows, but with better detail and no recessed mids/highs.

1-Sennheiser cx300 ($30) Lovely midrange, and very strong bass (although uncontrolled) Highs are the weakness of this phone.

1-Yuin pk3 ($39)

1-Jays j-jays ($50)

1-Shure e2c ($60)

1-Crossroads Mylarone x3i/xbi ($57 and $65)

1-Yuin pk2 ($69)

1-Etymotic er6 ($70) Very detailed. Good mids/highs. Slightly lacking the bass department

1-Ultimate Ears Super.Fi.3 ($70)

1-V-moda Vibe($70) Very muddy, not a lot of detail. no highs to speak off.

2-Altec Lansing im716 ($100) Currently on sale @buy.com for $49

Open Headphone

1-Koss KSC75/35 (Clip-on) ($13) Very good value. Some bass bloat, good mids and sparkly highs.

1-Sennheiser px100 ($33)

1-Koss Portapro ($35)

1-Sennheiser HD515 ($60)

1-Grado sr-60 ($69) Wonderful liquid mids! Amazing with guitars. Not harsh to me, but to some. Lacking in bass.

Closed Headphone

1-Sennheiser HD201 ($22)

1-AKG k81dj ($54) Bassy dj headphone. Better with some damping. Good for rap and Hip-Hop

I was wondering has anyone tried these Bang & Olufsen out?

BangEarphones.jpg

i bought those for my brother for christmas!

they're very goooooood.

really comfortable.great sound.

and noise canceling too!

win win win!

i bought giant Bose ones for myself

around_ear_head_phones.jpg

but i think the bang and olufsen ones are better.

sennheiser hd 280 pros are good for low level highend headphones (if that even makes sense..). they have good padding, and are more comfortable than almost any dj style headphones ive ever worn, and they dont look fucking tacky like lots of good headphones do. the use to be worth around $200 or more, but i think you can find them for like 60-70 bucks now.

Sennheiser%20HD%20280%20Pro%20Headphones.jpg

i have a pair of SR 60's, 81DJ's and Super Fi.3s

I think of them all i prefer the super.fi's

the 81s i take out with me on cooler days and from regular use the connection has become kinda faulty , and i've only had them for 3 months or so.

i'm moving up to New York City in the winter time for school and i'm looking for some headphones that can block out the excess sound. i was thinking about the Grado SR60s but i could spare the extra cash if it means a year of extra wear for the SR80s.

i wouldn't accually say that price is a problem as long as its reasonable. maybe 50-250 for headphones. anyone have any suggestions for headphones that would keep me in the zone while im commuting?

I was wondering has anyone tried these Bang & Olufsen out?

BangEarphones.jpg

awesome headphones...don't think they're noise cancelling though, my previous pair lasted a good 7 year, before the wire started to tear. got it replaced for half price and the wire design seems to have improved again. A good bunch of my friend uses this. very good headphones, its JUST won't fall off no matter wat your doing

^i paid 175 at bay and bloor radio 2 years ago, best headphones ive owned. want to upgrade to something more simpler and something i can use day to day...they are too big to wear around the city

i rock my 280s EVERYWHERE. they're awesome. they break in really nicely and keep out ambient sounds real nice.

anyone recommend good pair of earbud headphones good for monitoring like dj/studio use. i was looking at american audio eb 700-900 series anyone have any info on those,tried on a pair?

Sennhieser hd-25 II's

you can find them easily for less than 200USD

that is all you need to know!

Whats a good pair of Headphones for Djing and a good pair of earphones for my Ipod. 200ish for the Headphones and 100ish for the earphones.

can use for ipod if you want, but i would reccomend something a little smaller like

Shure se110 or se210 or the good old e4c

yeh some of the other mentioned are quite good as well.

have a look at this list :

it should answer your question.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/headphone-buyers-guide-271258/

stay away from bose if it's not too late... in 99% of cases there's going to be a much better alternative for your needs for the price...

if you're looking to save money, definitely koss ksc-75s ($20) or at the next step up alessandro ms-1 ($100)... alessandros are made by grado, and the ms-1 tends to get more props than the sr60/sr80.

if you really wanna get a nice setup, go to head-fi.org and maybe start looking at amps etc...

• 2 months later...

Anyone got any amps or into opamp/tube rolling?

My audio journey is on a break now, I've upgraded from my Zero DAC/Amp to the Darkvoice 332 amp. Finally got all the recommended valves and now sounds extremely good, with both the Senn HD650s and my Darth Beyers. Also got Shure SE530s for my phone which sound amazing despite the lack of a quality source.

If I actually need anything is a new DAC, but one with good synergy with a tube amp because the Zero transforms the tube sound to sound like it's built in headamp (although this unit is amazing value) any tips?

audio technica esw9 - portable, sound excellent, and arguably the best looking headphones ever made:

esw9a.jpg

sorry for the super novice question. but what are all the cables and jacks in your ipod for? someone mentioned a headphone amp - is that what this is?

If I actually need anything is a new DAC, but one with good synergy with a tube amp because the Zero transforms the tube sound to sound like it's built in headamp (although this unit is amazing value) any tips?

Was screwing around with the Little Dot series + an Alien DAC, pretty bang for buck for what i paid.

What's your budget like?

If you got like 5 bills, http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/buffalo.aspx