Designer/Labels You Dislike

Kodak

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I think alot of people on here think something along the lines of this when it comes to "fashionfashion":

"Would I ever wear it? No, ok not that impressed by the designer."

i think beyond that, a lot of people here don't have the background in understanding

fashion to appreciate things they do not wear or understand the significance of designers that they aren't hip to.

i dislike hedi slimane.

^I felt like that for quite a while, until I went to the dior showroom and was completely blown away by the amount of details and the quality and construction of the pieces.

But again, I believe he's more of a stylist aswell, and also a very good graphic designer (but then in the form of details on clothes)

But again, I believe he's more of a stylist aswell, and also a very good graphic designer (but then in the form of details on clothes)

i think he is an amazing stylist of clothing and has the ability to tap into many different streams in youth culture and funnel them towards his vision, but, as a designer of clothing, i find that he is prone to repeating himself entirely too much.

i think he is an amazing stylist of clothing and has the ability to tap into many different streams in youth culture and funnel them towards his vision, but, as a designer of clothing, i find that he is prone to repeating himself entirely too much.

mind explaining more? Are you refering to the skinny silhouette or?

I think what he meant is (hope you don't mind OMC) that HS is very good at designing by taking existing clothes and making them look very good eg styling. Whereas he doesn't seem to be so strong in the actual creating of new shapes from scratch.

Only thing of those that comes to mind at the moment are his skirts maybe

i don't think slimane is a very good graphic designer or photographer (although he has certainly gotten a lot better), but i must say i do like him as a designer of clothes and furniture (i am kind of obsessed with the f-system) and i think he has a lot of great ideas.

i don't like visvim.

I think what he meant is (hope you don't mind OMC) that HS is very good at designing by taking existing clothes and making them look very good eg styling. Whereas he doesn't seem to be so strong in the actual creating of new shapes from scratch.

Only thing of those that comes to mind at the moment are his skirts maybe

that's exactly what i'm getting at.

slimane is perfectly suited for turning pre-existing ideas into his own and selling them 100% to an audience.

the last few seasons at DH were absolutely boring and retread to me, personally,

and to quite a few other people.

i'm somewhat interested in what he does from now on, in order to see if my ideas

about him are justified or not, but so far, i think they are.

..... and also a very good graphic designer (but then in the form of details on clothes)
i don't think slimane is a very good graphic designer ......

I meant it in the way that if you see a plain piece of clothing as an empty piece of paper then Slimane has proven himself very strong at getting "what goes where" exactly right.

I don't consider myself an expert in RO's work, nor would I consider myself a fan. I don't own any RO items, I don't dress "goth", nor do I have any desire to.

On another note, I think Carol C. Poell is a very talented individual yet the majority of it is not my style either nor do I own any ccp. I'm speaking from a relative frame of mind re: designers in general of course.

I strongly dislike dsquared. imo it's a hyped up version of Abercrombie where the price increase does not justify anything. But people somewhere must be buying it b/c they keep having runway shows. I reckon the people are in Europe.

I don't understand a lot of the japanese brands that people get all excited over on sufu. Perhaps it's b/c i'm too old (25) and am not into the more daring streetwear scene, but I always felt that half the appeal was that the stuff is hard to get b/c it's imported, and the actual pieces aren't all that spectacular.

Lastly there is a bunch of "West Coast" designers whose items totally bore me to death. Ex. include Trovata, James Perse, etc. How are their clothes more "hip" than anything you can get at the mall? Are they made of organic cotton? I dunno why as many stores carry their items as they do.

Yeah, I dunno but I didn't really like and didn't give a damn about burberry pre christopher bailey.

pre Christopher Bailey Burberry basicly wasn't a fashion brand imo and thus should also looked at accordingly.

Apart from the basic hooligan type shit there is a reason that those trenchcoats are so well known.

^^ Agree Cotton.

Was just saying as an actual fashion house / brand. I just started looking forward to what it comes up with every season when bailey started there. I mean yeah burberry is legendary for the stuff its known for chaz or not. Yes.

Just an addition... I don't like Roberto Cavalli men.

i think about 90% of the designer labels that are generally considered distasteful by this board all serve there purposes, just in more narrow applications. for example, herpsky expressed distaste for ghey labels LV and D&G...sure, they make shitty handbags and tacky jeans, but d&g has (some) understated slim cut suits and similarly well made basics. louis vuitton (outside of their ubiquitously ugly ....well, the louis vuitton print) has actually put out some amazing accessories, particularly in the time piece department.

i'm a little curious as to others' thoughts on Etro.

We just dislike them because were not part of the demographic that actually digs the stuff.

Oh , okay, shit that was stupid. DUH - Dislike. It's just not our taste.

But I agree with clopek - some of those labels like D&G and LV actually have good pieces, I guess it's just tainted with an already implanted feeling /opinion about it due to some previous circumstance. Bias.

Hmm, just stumbled across this thread now, actually some good conversation going on.

One thing about Rick Owens, if he's not a designer, then Hedi, Ann, Galliano, Van Noten, Margiela, and Ossenjdriver are all not designers as well. All of these designers make clothing for both Men and Women, with the exception of Hedi, and all make the same clothing; Jackets, pants, blazers, shoes, belts, bags, t-shirts, scarfs, and the list keeps going. The fact of the matter is they are all of a different aesthetic, a different brand. To say that Margiela is more versatile is just an opinion. I look at Margiela clothing and think it looks very similar from season to season as well.

But I think here in lies the problem, something many designers have said is a challenge, and that is tweaking the typical Man's outfit. Jacket over tee/shirt with pants and shoes/boots. There really isn't much in the way of trailblazing so most of these designers take a more subtle approach. Margiela works with vintage, Hedi has perfected the slim silhouette, Ann D. envokes light, airy, and more whimsical values, Rick Owens is dark, drapey, edgy, Dries Van Noten is a master of fabric interpretation, and the list goes on. All of these designers bring something to the table as just that, designers.

Also, Carol Christian Poell's $10K jacket is still up to this point, highly speculation and I'm sure if it does surface, it's already sold.

But this is not a typical price for a leather jacket from CCP, though $3-5K is nothing to scoff at either! I think the fabric choices from CCP are exquisite, something that is a far cry from what any other clothier is doing right now. Jointed shirts and jackets? Gloved sleeved leathers and sweaters? The guy may be mad as much as he is a genius; But I love it!

Now for the designer I don't really care for; Hedi Slimane. But this is more of me looking at the clothing from a consumers point of view. I don't really think the clothing is quality for the price tag (ever rising price tag at that) and some of the fabric choices are spotty for me. Other than that, I respect what Hedi has done for youth and his slimmer silhouette in fashion. I wonder how big 'slim' would be now without Hedi doing it?

Dolce and Gabbana or D&G? The latter of the two is the diffusion line, please be more specific.

I think they're referring to D&G, though Dolce & Gabbana is equally prone to overt tackiness:

dg5.jpg

dolceoddo_thumb.jpg

The Ultimate Ghey menswear line. Though, I do think outside of their advertising and some of the more garish "fashion" pieces, their tailoring is still impeccable, and there are ocassionally some competent pieces here and there.

i dislike hedi slimane.

Oooooooh you're in big trouble :rolleyes:.

I like Slimane, in fact, I like almost everything that comes down the runway. Even if I don't buy it, it's always nice to see someone else's perspective on how clothing should be worn. I think the only time I ever come close to really "disliking" a designer or label is if I just disregard it. No one is making me look at the stuff, and no one's making me buy it either. I like the variety, and I even like the stuff I dislike.

THAT BEING SAID...

While I'm a big fan of a lot of things that the Comme des Garcons label and its diffusion houses makes, and will buy their products, I find that Kawakubo, Watanabe, et al., purposely try to project a guerella or revolutionary spin on their lines, which, to me, is completely ridiculous given their overbranding (PLAY), and double-name (not always bad), but sometimes completely and utterly USELESS (Oswald the Lucky Rabbit :confused:) collaborations.

Hmmm

-Supreme, yeah the quality is good, I guess I don't like the hype. I mean.. cmon.

Just have to shed my opinion about Galliano...

I think he is a genius. Though those menswear stuff aren't really wearable, his shows are the ones I usually look out for and am actually looking forward to. His shows are really essentially a performance. Yeah, the clothes are over the top and all but they are to me - art. Remember that collection he did with the head gear and the ninja inspired one? Wow. Costume-y- yes. And the recent show is equally amazing. You could really see a story, not just a show merely organized to sell and market the design. Which btw I think is not galliano's motive anyway. but it's just beautiful in its own way.

I just love John Galliano's vision and his consistency of putting up a real show. And have you guys seen the Dior Couture show FW2007? I think even if you're not into women's wear (like me) but still is interested in fashion/design/art, when you see that show.. it's just amazing. Now that is galliano.

oh man...u just change my opinion on galliano...still not a big fan but..

ahplus.jpg

Brands I hate...

Juicy Couture - I don't even know how velour tracksuits & tacky pink purses with slogans are considered "couture"

Coach - Half of the people at work wear this shit with the C monogram all over...C stands for crap I guess

7 for All Mankind - Who in their right minds would purchase Zac Posen's tacky swarovski embroidered denim?

True Religion/Rock & Republic - I don't understand why people spend over two hundred bucks on this shit

Michael Kors - Yes I do love him because of Project Runway. But come on his designs are just plain boring!

Dsquared & D&G - "The" gayest brands out there. A hundred bucks for a shirt that you can get at a thrift store minus the tag...Come on

i don't think slimane is a very good graphic designer or photographer......

i dont like when he's doing a documentary photograph, like taking pics of a gig and boys. But when he moved to studio photography..amazing..check out his work on courtney love...really really nice framing..

may i add a little note to this thread...that while talking broadly about design and art (most of it) is a powerful tool, often the devil is in the details and the particular...

what i mean is that every designer will have his piece of singular magic, even if one dislikes comme/rick owens/slimane in principle, can you not feel a thrill when you pick up a piece of good design, regardless of its creator? i hope we all can remain open enough to that feel that impulse...

carrying on

I meant it in the way that if you see a plain piece of clothing as an empty piece of paper then Slimane has proven himself very strong at getting "what goes where" exactly right.

i like how Duck has put this.