Designer/Labels You Dislike

Kodak

Awesome discussion going on around here, I really like how it really invokes our thoughts and opinions on fashion design. Personally I really like some of the stuff that hedi has been doing (which are shown on his site). +rep for this thread :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slimane is alright to me. I really respect him for his contribution in fashion - slim silhouette and proportions so new and revolutionary at the time (his golden age).

The first few collections for dior were just mind blowing. I love them to bits. Luster and the like.. but as his residency in dior went on, I feel like I just see different variations and styling of the previous seasons. And I think that is where hedi lacks - yes, he does have his aesthetic and a "style" but as a designer, it's nice to show some variety. Okay he did innovate, but he just kept on doing the same thing. He just became stagnant. I'm looking forward to what hedi is up to now.. is there something new in store? Are we going to be all over him again like before? Hmm let's see.

Slimane is alright to me. I really respect him for his contribution in fashion - slim silhouette and proportions so new and revolutionary at the time (his golden age).

The first few collections for dior were just mind blowing. I love them to bits. Luster and the like.. but as his residency in dior went on, I feel like I just see different variations and styling of the previous seasons. And I think that is where hedi lacks - yes, he does have his aesthetic and a "style" but as a designer, it's nice to show some variety. Okay he did innovate, but he just kept on doing the same thing. He just became stagnant. I'm looking forward to what hedi is up to now.. is there something new in store? Are we going to be all over him again like before? Hmm let's see.

Agreed, much better than Rick's hot topic for grown ups aesthetic.

Slimane did not invent the slim silouette or introduce it to fashion.

slimane's early collections weren't even slim, either.

Huh? The first few DH collections were cut much slimmer than later collections. No compromises at all, you had to be really skinny to pull it off, just like with his YSL collections.

Agreed, much better than Rick's hot topic for grown ups aesthetic.

feel free to explain. that makes as much sense as saying that dior homme resembles hot topic, they have a lot of black, you know. japanese repro jeans are the same as any $20 jeans from target.

people across all sorts of spectra seem to like ragging on michael kors, but i have this fucking amazing hoody by kors which is supersoft charcoal grey outside with butterrrr

pima cotton lining in the richest purple you ever did see that i can't ever stop wearing.

not any designer personally but anyone who sells a $900 shirt. i mean is quality that much or is it a designers name?

you pay for the name, the quality, the detail (trivial or otherwise, your wallet is yours and you decide), the fit, etc etc etc.

anyone who sells a $900 shirt? even assuming hyperbole on your part that's a bit of a daft thing to say don't you think

"quality" was never an objective yardstick, once you get past a certain arbitrary point...

juicy couture

dsquared2

hollister

american eagle

abercrombie

galliano - there are exceptions

Michael Korrs

Jeremy Scott

Betsey Johnson

Petrozilla and many LA based labels like Ed Hardy

and many more

overall i just dont like the "craziness" and generic trends

• 5 months later...

have you not seen follow me (ss03)? this kind of critique leads me to believe that youve never actually looked at all of hedi's collections before you write another word criticizing slimane for being inflexible, un-innovative, please take a look at follow me, and then the rest of his shit

http://www.wretch.cc/album/album.php?id=Diorhomme6&book=10

he's all over the place, you must be blind to say he's rehashing the same style or aesthetic. if anything, the range of materials, cuts, porportions, colors, garment types hedi covers in his collections for dior \far exceeds the ground other designers have in their careers for various labels

Ugly, amateurish, or corny ass designs/graphics on expensive t shirts that people buy only because of the brand its printed on. Supreme is the big offender here - if 90% of those designs were put out by a non-worshipped label, most of you would diss it.

Same goes for Raf Simons, Dior Homme, Ann Demeulemesteer (though I think most of Ann's t-shirt prints are pretty good).

Ugly, amateurish, or corny ass designs/graphics on expensive t shirts that people buy only because of the brand its printed on. Supreme is the big offender here - if 90% of those designs were put out by a non-worshipped label, most of you would diss it.

Same goes for Raf Simons, Dior Homme, Ann Demeulemesteer (though I think most of Ann's t-shirt prints are pretty good).

supreme shirts cost $28 and it's a skate brand.

but the $150 dries van noten t-shirt (blank) i saw at a few days ago was so cheaply made i died a little inside.

-Brett Westfall

-American Apparel: For dire circumstances only, i.e. slow train to Pash

-Goyard: If Goyard were the only luxury luggage maker in the world, I doubt anyone would touch it. But because it's couched among superior monograms, people end up wearing it pretty often.

I was actually joking in response to the sudden hate when Comrade Gnar posted a s/s 08 Engineered Garments thread. I still think their duffel coat from seasons past is one of the best of the bunch.

ditto engineered garments. Seems like really uninspired "workwear" made with heavier textiles to seem more quality than it really is