Check these bad boys out...

Shorty Long

How much did these originally sell for? Talk about inflation :)

Its great to see an actual single stitched arcuate and back pocket.. not the whole "Wabi sabi" approach today with the intentionally shaky lines. Back then they tried to make it look double stitched but lacked the proper equipment... nowadays it seems they try too hard to replicate that look and end up going too far.

Im curious what these will go for

I always wonder where jeans like those have spent the last 70 years...

Probably in a box, in the back of a department store that couldn't sell them because size 42 waists were a rarity back in the days before X-box 360s and Oprah. After several decades, the department store probably went into liquidation and the goods were auctioned off in huge clothing lots. A small business probably picked them up, trying to buy clothing in bulk to turn them around for quick profit. After experiencing the same problem the department store had with W42 jeans, they were probably dumped on a church charity where it probably spent the next decade sitting folded on a wooden sales table, where it was displayed for the Sunday markets. When no one bought them then, they were probably given away to a thrift store who probably had them under a pile of other assorted denims before an enterprising ebayer discovered them, knew exactly what he was buying and put it up for sale on ebay for $9500.

Or it could be a 90 year old guy who used to have a waist 42 inches, who bought these jeans in bulk when he was in his twenties, thinking he could resell them in his 90's for 10000% profit.:D

Most of the vintage denim I've come across it is very common to see large waist sizes 38-42. Remember these were worn by tough dudes doing hard work, not a bunch of fashionable skinny emo kids from the internet who size down. I would be suprised to see a 28 pair of vintage denim.

Most of the vintage denim I've come across it is very common to see large waist sizes 38-42. Remember these were worn by tough dudes doing hard work, not a bunch of fashionable skinny emo kids from the internet who size down. I would be suprised to see a 28 pair of vintage denim.

The average American soldier in the 40's had a 36-1/4" chest and a 30" waist. People were just thinner and shorter in America back in those days, and while I'm sure a hardworking farmer would be larger than the average population, I doubt it would be that drastic of a difference.

I think the reason we come across larger sizes on vintage jeans more often is most probably because back then nobody bought them because because they're just too darn big for the average person, thus making these quite a rare size back in the day I'm sure. That said, these jeans are simply amazing, and quite an astonishing piece of history as well.

The average American soldier in the 40's had a 36-1/4" chest and a 30" waist. People were just thinner and shorter in America back in those days, and while I'm sure a hardworking farmer would be larger than the average population, I doubt it would be that drastic of a difference.

I think the reason we come across larger sizes on vintage jeans more often is most probably because back then nobody bought them because because they're just too darn big for the average person, thus making these quite a rare size back in the day I'm sure. That said, these jeans are simply amazing, and quite an astonishing piece of history as well.

I meant most of the worn vintage jeans that I've come across in my experience. I'm sure these are deadstock because they are on an extreme end of the sizing scale and never purchased.

Soldiers would definitely be smaller and the general population was defnitely smaller back then. As far as people who wore denim back then as workwear as it was intended I imagine miners, factory workers, farm workers etc. who in my non scientific thinking on the subject more than likely had larger waists than the average soldier during the time period.

I was just pointing out that it is very common to find large size vintage jeans, as some seemed suprised that they even existed that large before obesity took over...

Back then they tried to make it look double stitched but lacked the proper equipment...

Not true. Look at the top of the pockets, the belt loops, the stitches between and above the back pockets, The technology was there. When they introduced double-stitched arcuates, it was to enhance productivity, not because the technology had just been discovered...

Beautiful pair of 501s, by the way.

why do ppl buy these old jeans for $12,000. do they actually wear it?

They are pieces of american history, for example. Don't you realise how mighty it would be, to hold this garment in your hand, with the knowledge that it is an original piece of a groundbreaking era. A piece o' time and feelin' collected in this pair o' original authentic blue jean. To realise, that this garment, is the garment worn by the builders of America, and also the reason that maybe you are wearin' a pair of blue jeans today.