PDAs: Are they still relevant?

I wasn't sure where to post this. I figured here would be best though.

Anyways, I'm in the market for a PDA. I want something besides my little "Planner Agenda" that I get free every month from my employer. I just will use it for organization, scheduling, little reminders, and maybe a few games here and there. I won't need it for internet or e-mail, this would just be like a digital life planner for college.

Have they been completely replaced by cellphones now? Or are there any PDAs you guys would reccomend I get?

I have an old Ipaq 2210 which is used as a GPS sat nav system.

But I use a Treo, has email (on demand), phone, organiser, gps, music, video, etc. which atm I believe is much better than any Blackberry.

Blackberry just needs more software on it like Palm and Windows Mobile.

Have they been completely replaced by cellphones now? Or are there any PDAs you guys would reccomend I get?

Yes they've pretty much been replaced by cellphones. There's no reason for you to carry 2 bulky items around right? The cellphone PDA's out - Blackberry, Palm, and Windows - are all great. I suggest you go to a cellphone carrier and see which format you like.

i bought one on ebay and i cant wait for it to come

If you're in the states, you could have just gone to Barnes and Noble or Borders and bought a moleskine for like $10. The tricky part is pronouncing the name correctly.

if i had the money, id probably get the e90.

I just got the Blackberry Curve, love it. HIghly recommended.

Really not a fan of Windows Mobile in any shape so I'd say red or arem definitely picked the latest and greatest that isn't running windows mobile. And of course there is always the iPhone, comes out next Friday at 6pm.

Dick Blick art supplies carry Moleskines, that's where I got mine. But I don't use it because I feel it's too nice to write down to-do & grocery lists.

I got my girlfriend some Start Here's for her birthday. They're expensive, but have a design to make the expandable & able to add unlimited notepads when you run out of room.

But for all my planning, I just use my Cingular 8125. As a PDA it's pretty good, but as a phone I'd give it a 6. Great sound and phone features, but I hate not having buttons to push. It's also a pain to try to type out numbers on a touchscreen while driving. But lucky for me I don't talk too much (I think I've got like 3000-4000 rollover minutes) but I really like it as an all around device. Not perfect, but good.

Unless company policy tells you to, I can't think of a single argument for picking a Blackberry over a Windows based smartphone/pocketPC (or, by now, many other OSes like Symbian).

Red - I miss the Samsung F700 in your list of phones:

384142934_dfcba5a423.jpg

Currently I'm using a Samsung i320 (only 92 grams):

238663860_af6202df6d.jpg

Still contemplating on its successor - my contract is due for renewal next month.

Unless company policy tells you to, I can't think of a single argument for picking a Blackberry over a Windows based smartphone/pocketPC (or, by now, many other OSes like Symbian).

My company gave me a Samsung Blackjack, I used it for a month and asked for the Curve instead. The 3G is nice, I'll admit, but Windows Mobile sucks. The fact that you can't cut and paste? Can't delete multiple emails at one time? No indication of how many unread messages you have? All unforgiveable in a business oriented phoone. Blackberry beats it, hands down. But YMMV...

My company gave me a Samsung Blackjack, I used it for a month and asked for the Curve instead. The 3G is nice, I'll admit, but Windows Mobile sucks. The fact that you can't cut and paste? Can't delete multiple emails at one time? No indication of how many unread messages you have? All unforgiveable in a business oriented phoone. Blackberry beats it, hands down. But YMMV...

were you using goodlink with your blackjack? Or Microsoft Exchange Mobile?

the only thing that turns me away from blackberrys is the lack of hsdpa. but then again ive only heard about the new technology, and never actually handled it, therefore i dont actually know if it is such the great thing that editorials claim it to be. hows the connectivity with blackberrys?

the only thing that turns me away from blackberrys is the lack of hsdpa. but then again ive only heard about the new technology, and never actually handled it, therefore i dont actually know if it is such the great thing that editorials claim it to be. hows the connectivity with blackberrys?

I never have a problem connecting here in NYC (I'm on Cingular/AT&T), and unless you are downloading video or expecting to browse on your phone like you would on a full sized computer, I don't think there's a big enough difference between 3G and EDGE to make the lack of 3G on the Berry a dealbreaker. From what I hear AT&T is really beefing up their EDGE network in preparation for all those iPhone customers, so I expect that service will continue top improve even outside of large cities.

I had the ipaq 6515 and a motorola q, completely useless, used to crash. Unless you are an organizational FREAK just get a regular phone or youll probably be sorry for getting something bulky and useless. Although the iphone looks cool