Dirty Dozen +1 (Around the world...)

cheep

was this fuckng awesome?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. was this fuckng awesome?

• yes
    • fuck yes
    • no.

after shopping, we went to see the kuniyoshis.

mr. and mrs. kuniyoshi make custom denim clothing in koza. mr. kuniyoshi fell in love with denim when he used to live in los angeles. when he came back to japan, he decided to make denim his life and worked at a very famous factory in okayama—the mecca of japanese denim. at the factory, he met his future wife who also shared his passion for denim. after 10 years of working at the factory, they came back to his home town to start their own company—double volante.

23.jpg

12.jpg

some of his custom made jeans:

13.jpg

he owns one of the only union special chainstitchers on the whole island of okinawa:

14.jpg

here he is showing us a pair of jeans that he wore when he was working at the denim factory:

15.jpg

kuniyoshi-san and me, discussing denim over ginger crackers and oolong tea....

16.jpg

17.jpg

when i was showing him the dd+1 jeans, he noticed that the back seam was coming apart. he said that eventually, my ass would start showing. he offered to fix this on one of his chainstitching machines.

18.jpg

19.jpg

good as new!

20.jpg

this is their cute little boy:

21.jpg

and one of their nice jean boxes:

22.jpg

this is their sign, which was hand-painted by nakanishi-san, okinawa's premier pinstriper and mural artist. i will introduce y'all to him soon. an interesting thing about this sign is that it's painted on old-school non-stainless steel so over time, it will rust and wear—kinda like an old pair of jeans.

11.jpg

when i was showing him the dd+1 jeans, he noticed that the back seam was coming apart. he said that eventually, my ass would start showing. he offered to fix this on one of his chainstitching machines.

18.jpg

19.jpg

good as new!

20.jpg

this is their cute little boy:

21.jpg

and one of their nice jean boxes:

22.jpg

this is their sign, which was hand-painted by nakanishi-san, okinawa's premier pinstriper and mural artist. i will introduce y'all to him soon. an interesting thing about this sign is that it's painted on old-school non-stainless steel so over time, it will rust and wear—kinda like an old pair of jeans.

11.jpg

afterwards, we went to okinawa's most famous place for okinawa soba, gabusoka soba. okinawa soba is like the ackee and saltfish of okinawa—it's like the national meal. the noodles are similar to udon noodles and the broth is similar to ramen broth, but it really is its own thing. souki soba is the most famous type of okinawa soba. it's okinawa soba topped with souki, which are pork spareribs stewed in okinawan liqueur, soy sauce and okinawan brown sugar.

24.jpg

this is the genius who combined souki and soba to create souki soba. god bless his soul:

25.jpg

ready to eat.

26.jpg

27.jpg

this is a small bowl of souki soba.

28.jpg

glistening souki:

31.jpg

this is some stir fried goya (bitter melon). it's an acquired taste but it's one of okinawa's most important vegetables.

29.jpg

okinawan-style stewed pigs feet on the left (believe it or not, they taste incredible). okinawan tofu in the middle. and daikon on the right.

30.jpg

afterwards, we went to okinawa's most famous place for okinawa soba, gabusoka soba. okinawa soba is like the ackee and saltfish of okinawa—it's like the national meal. the noodles are similar to udon noodles and the broth is similar to ramen broth, but it really is its own thing. souki soba is the most famous type of okinawa soba. it's okinawa soba topped with souki, which are pork spareribs stewed in okinawan liqueur, soy sauce and okinawan brown sugar.

24.jpg

this is the genius who combined souki and soba to create souki soba. god bless his soul:

25.jpg

ready to eat.

26.jpg

27.jpg

this is a small bowl of souki soba.

28.jpg

glistening souki:

31.jpg

this is some stir fried goya (bitter melon). it's an acquired taste but it's one of okinawa's most important vegetables.

29.jpg

okinawan-style stewed pigs feet on the left (believe it or not, they taste incredible). okinawan tofu in the middle. and daikon on the right.

30.jpg

FANTASTICO!

I'm glad that you escaped the grind of midtown manhattan and are out in the country air...

It's funny, some of the architecture reminds me of places in the Philippines (e.g. the bricks in that shot of Park Ave.) Geographically, Okinawa is not so far from the Philippines, so that's not surprising (and I'm guessing to a limited extent, the same is true for culture).

Please keep the pictures and great entries up... this is such a treat for us all. SUGOI!

FANTASTICO!

I'm glad that you escaped the grind of midtown manhattan and are out in the country air...

It's funny, some of the architecture reminds me of places in the Philippines (e.g. the bricks in that shot of Park Ave.) Geographically, Okinawa is not so far from the Philippines, so that's not surprising (and I'm guessing to a limited extent, the same is true for culture).

Please keep the pictures and great entries up... this is such a treat for us all. SUGOI!