What degree do you have/are you studying for?

arem

my 1st year of college has just passed and ive no idea what i want.. :/

i love so many things...

right now my major is international relations

and a minor in photography

i love photo and i love IR

... wow.. this year has gone by so fast...

so scarrrrrrrry

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-BS in some natural science

-will start MD soon

-MPH, in addition, if i dont burn out after the MD

i gotta make money to continue buying ridiculous shit

and hos

-BS in Mathematics (with a concentration in pure Mathematics, although now my work is applied) and an additional major in Economics.

-CPhil in Mathematics (kind of like a masters, but means that I advanced to candidacy for my PhD)

-and.... I am so very very very close to turning in my (Math) PhD thesis...

holy shit. this deserves a round of applause

Nope; definitely not wrong. Sure, people who studied art history can go on to be multi-million dollar salaried investment bankers if they want, people who majored in fashion can end up being lead designers at billion dollar companies, etc., etc. You can get a great job in advertising with an art degree. One of my university friends majored in screenwriting and now owns a multi-million dollar multimedia consultancy.

Difference is that these majors don't yield a plethora of well-paying entry level positions, which is why I say this. You might have to work in the art world for 50 years before you are making over $100K as a curator, etc. (assuming you are intent on an art history-involved field). Or, as an independent artist, you might never sell one painting.

This is the sad part about these majors, unfortunately. Several of my other college roommates, who were all intelligent (I went to a top 10 school) were film and/or art majors and not a single one of them is doing anything art-related. It was just too tough for them to graduate and find work in NYC that would pay their bills whilst being art/film-related, so they all ended up doing other things. Notice the smiley face, anyway, it wasn't a stab at Rome1, for all I know, he might be the lead creative designer for Wieden & Kennedy...............

You'll need to be particularly controversial and have a flamboyant personality to really succed in an Art History related job.

Surprisingly, those two traits are lacking in the art world--which is full of lesbian Photo majors and weak-willed hipster types.

Graduate this spring with a BA in International Studies, emphasis on Ethnicity and Nationalities. Want to go on to a JD/MFA, maybe, or a PhD in Political Science or Conflict Analysis and Resolution.

Anyone else (anyone who has taken sociology classes) notice girls who are into race theory are also into sweet old Tamla Motown? I think it's HOT

-BS in Mathematics (with a concentration in pure Mathematics, although now my work is applied) and an additional major in Economics.

-CPhil in Mathematics (kind of like a masters, but means that I advanced to candidacy for my PhD)

-and.... I am so very very very close to turning in my (Math) PhD thesis...

Damn, obviously no shortage of brains to go with all that style. Balancing my checkbook gives me a headache, I can't even conceive of what a Math PhD would consist of, props to you Bizzy.

In the midst of a BA in Music.

You guys do some fucking dull subjects. I didn't realise cool people actually existed outside of the university Arts dept.

(actually, I may say that but right now I'm analysing Schoenberg's 3rd string quartet, which amounts to finding patterns amidst lots and lots of numbers listed from 1-11)

im in my 4th year, but i took a year off halfway due to smoking too much reefer and not being responsible

BS - Neuroscience

Minor - English Composition

hopefully getting the fk out of cali for MD

You guys do some fucking dull subjects. I didn't realise cool people actually existed outside of the university Arts dept.

(actually, I may say that but right now I'm analysing Schoenberg's 3rd string quartet, which amounts to finding patterns amidst lots and lots of numbers listed from 1-11)

We played the schoenberg string quartet concerto with the st petersburg string quartet earlier this semester. :D

12-tone system right? Schoenberg was a wannabe...

Music 101 Final on Tuesday ahh