Tony Hige's sorahikos

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are the reason i bought my sorahikos. That's some classic shit right there.

I remenber those jeans being worn for 3 years and washed every 6 months. Those were also starched from hem to waist multiple times.

Which brings up a good point, how can people say that starching messes up the fade when tony starched the %$@& out of them and they still turned out sick?

The honeycombs on my sorahiko's are bigger and less defined then i want, but i'm still starch-free. This is making me think that a little starch is what it needs.

• 2 months later...
i dont know whats wrong with me but those dont impress me.

i know sorahikos are supposed to be amazing, but i have seen apcs fade better than this and all apcs look the same.

I don't mean to sound like a denim elist, but it seems as though you can't appreciate the subtle nuances of these jeans.

APC's will NEVER have train tracks or leg twisting that look that good. While APC's may fade nicely, the color is so bland. It's a gray/washed out blue. The color on these 45 RPM's is so rich and deep. Also, the wear patterns are very natural.

i dont know whats wrong with me but those dont impress me.

i know sorahikos are supposed to be amazing, but i have seen apcs fade better than this and all apcs look the same.

It's an acquired taste. Just like some liking vintage and others not giving a fling.

Tweeds, info on that second pair you posted, vertical falling is amazing!

And is that Lynn Downey?

It is Lynn Downey and here's the article in San Fransisco Gate: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/02/BUG94K9ET51.DTL

Those jeans look like Joe McCoy's with zipper.

Edit: I knew i had seen the McCoy's before on Denim Gallery: Here's the link to them: http://denim-gallery.heavy.jp/the-realmccoys_joemccoy/901z.html

atm, i'm so add with my jeans that I don't think I could ever wear a pair that hard for three years... hat off to Tony for his persistence.

Also, I'm realizing that even though slim fits look better on me, straight cut vintage types seem to age much, much better (just because the extra material creates tons of creasing, especially lap fades)

I think there are two inconsistencys here. 1 - People are discussing the best fade they have seen from PHOTOS..... its a bit of a none starter for me, how can one tell what the denim is like? How its ages and changes? The subtle shifts of nuance.....

I own some nice jeans ( canes, pbj, eternal, sammies, apc etc etc ) but even with this collection, i cant really tell how any denim would behave and appear from photos on my monitor. To use an analogy - its like looking at a picture of paris hilton and thinking because you like the look of her in a photo you would like to live with her..... maybe im taking this too seriously.... my point is, one can only get to know a denim with living together for a good 6 months.

The second inconsistency that bugs me is the uneven distribution of jeans, of course APC and nudie will allways look good from a monitor, for every 100 trashed new standards your going to see at least one that you could consider near perfect faders..... yknow.... whereas 45rpm, deluxe pbjs, and onis possible reception may suffer from this irregular distribution.

Also everypair fades differently, my new standards will not look like the next guys after a year..... ontop of this beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My point is, although it is certainly lovely to gawp at these grail jeans, I think its important to think of the distance between you and the jeans ( structurally and representatively ) and that if you were to wear them for the same time they will not look alike.....

Although its easy to slip onto buying jeans off the back of some photos in the evo thread, Id like to remind people thats ultimately its the slippery, intangible and unique nature of denim that keeps us all hooked.....

Thats said, after wearing 3 apcs, dickies etc and with my japanese collection from actual experience I can honestly say that from my point of view japanese fabric has pleased me more in every comparison.

Sorry, im ranting.

Yeah, dem shits is dope....

very good, viv. :)

i think this is why i tend only to think in terms of positive thoughts when i read the evolution thread. if it's something i like, i stop--if it's not something that catches my eye, i simply scroll past. "judging" a certain fade to be better or worse is a little presumptuous in my opinion. it's the experience of having worn it in that counts...the observer will never know that and so the only thing he has a right to do is to admire beauty, not discount something that doesn't fit into his idea of good looks.