so bored of slubby and streaky denim

okay, enough of this trend already!

I like some irregularities in my denim, to make it look like it was really made in the 1930's, but I have to say the japs and people on here are ODing on slubby.

PBJ's standard denim looks wack, as does Oni's and I think those Eternals are the ugliest jeans ever made. I also dislike the Shoais.

I also think that the denim in my s0500xx is a little too slubby.

This type of denim is exactly the opposite of what I'm looking for in jeans. I want authenticity, or at least something that feels that way, in the cut, details and denim.

The streakiness of the Eternals for example looks way artificial and is very repulsive to me.

The perfect denim for me is very dark, almost black, has a very tight weave and some, but few, irregularities.

The vintage look should be achieved through wear in my opinion, not by exaggerating details. I met a guy with APCs that had been washed several times and worn for more than a year and the denim really had a vintage look to it that is not visible before many washes and months of wear.

For me, the denim in the SC 1947 is enough, the denim in my SD103s is even better perhaps. https://www.j-fabled.com/system/admin/image/upload/jeans/o4_image_1016.jpg sc1947

My Samurai S0505XX looks better than my S0500XX and S5000VX.

Flat Heads have a nice color but too many irregularities still.

so......... what do you think?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would have to agree with you jinx, but i mean some super slubby shit looks damn cool, but i feel you on that sentiment. i love the look of my '47s with the random slubs popping up here and there but not just an entire irregular denim, granted i do appreciate those denims for what they are.just not for me though

Yeah HJJ, the Flat Heads are superb but the irregularities won't suit your needs--it's very streaky and the vertical fading probably doesn't go terribly well with the simpler look you're going for.

Like with women, variety is key.

If I had one pair of jeans, I agree that I'd stray away from something overly slubby.

But that's not to say that slubs don't have to their place.

So does streaky denim (which I'm convinced is an acquired taste).

Same thing with different cuts. There's a place for skinny cuts, fuller cuts, etc. Variety, my friend. That's the way to go.

i would have to agree with you jinx, but i mean some super slubby shit looks damn cool, but i feel you on that sentiment. i love the look of my '47s with the random slubs popping up here and there but not just an entire irregular denim, granted i do appreciate those denims for what they are.just not for me though

I like the look of slubby and streaky denim too, but only the look. They don't look like jeans to me and I couldn't wear them, both because they just look weird as clothing and because they can only get worse with wear.

An example of this is the old Samurai AI ltd ed and the Shoais.

Yeah HJJ, the Flat Heads are superb but the irregularities won't suit your needs--it's very streaky and the vertical fading probably doesn't go terribly well with the simpler look you're going for.

I have the 3003xx and they are perhaps my favourite pair because of the fit and color, but they would almost be 10/10 if they had a less irregular weave.

Can't wait to get some Denime and Warehouse.

if you're going for authenticity, i'd say stick with sugarcanes, they seem to be pretty diehard against releasing any modern cuts. But i'm with you jinx, i'm tired of "slubby" denim as well, but more so, i'm just tired of jeans. Why not just get the tried and true LVC collection if you're after authenticity?

But that's not to say that slubs don't have to their place.

So does streaky denim (which I'm convinced is an acquired taste).

Same thing with different cuts. There's a place for skinny cuts, fuller cuts, etc. Variety, my friend. That's the way to go.

You don't have to tell me about variety, I'm perfectly qualified to make up my own mind and make my own decisions. I've had/tried/seen most stuff and now I'm talking about how I don't like slubby denim. It has nothing to do with variation.

I also think a tight, regular weave with a grainy look is more of an acquired taste than streaky denim which seems to sell mostly because of it's novelty value.

if you're going for authenticity, i'd say stick with sugarcanes, they seem to be pretty diehard against releasing any modern cuts. But i'm with you jinx, i'm tired of "slubby" denim as well, but more so, i'm just tired of jeans. Why not just get the tried and true LVC collection if you're after authenticity?

I'm not after 100% authenticity or something even close to that, but I can't like stuff that feel so UNauthentic. I don't mind if the hip flare is slightly smaller, but I want some of it at least, to give me that feeling.

I have a pair of LVC, 555 551zxx that I'll wear some day, they are nice and very dark, like my jap jeans. The other/new stuff is nice but the color isn't good enough. Also, they're the same price as buying from Japan, so that kinda loses my interest a little.

I'll be buying some 1933 and earlier jeans from LVC though.

I like slubby and not slubby alike, but I get where you're coming from. I just got some sam s0110xj and they feel totally unlike my rht sams. really smooth. Is lht always smoother than rht for some reason? (searched but could not find specifically)

Yeah, I am with you. I don't particularly like streaky extra slubby denim. When PBJs hit on SF I thought they were a bit too much. Then I saw them in BIG and didn't like the look at all. I like my Samurai 505s. The denim is almost perfect for me. I would like to get a pair of SD103s. What I really don't like is intentionally making the denim slubby. If the denim is slubby because of the means of manufacturing and the variation in cotton, then so be it, but intentionally making the denim that way simply for asthetics is inauthentic and contrary to the idea of selvedge denim. What is the difference between intentially increasing slubbiness and intentionally making the jeans appear worn in by predistressing them?

i know this thread is about how HJJ doesn't like slubby/streaky jeans, but i just thought i would put it out there that if slubbiness like the AI PBJs did not exist, someone would have to invent it-------------just to represent the extreme end of the spectrum.

we have uber-slubby jeans that HJJ hates so that HJJ can appreciate more "regular" jeans;hate it if you must, sir, but nevertheless, be grateful for the foil that it provides

i know this thread is about how HJJ doesn't like slubby/streaky jeans, but i just thought i would put it out there that if slubbiness like the AI PBJs did not exist, someone would have to invent it-------------just to represent the extreme end of the spectrum.

we have uber-slubby jeans that HJJ hates so that HJJ can appreciate more "regular" jeans;hate it if you must, sir, but nevertheless, be grateful for the foil that it provides

Bringin it all back around. Sounds like Hegel's dialectic.

Also, off topic, but what gives with the JAPS comment? Is it too hard to completely spell out Japanese?

Nah. Slubby and streaky looks awesome. 99.99924% of jeans I see on the street are neither of the two, and those that are, are raw and haven't been broken in yet. I couldn't possibly be bored of them.

Bringin it all back around. Sounds like Hegel's dialectic.

I was going to say Descarte, or Aguinas, but I forgot which one I'm thinking of... Hegel makes more sense though. Or perhaps denim entropy?

Further to my last post I was in BIG a little while ago and got a chance to compare a sample of the new sam 21oz against the SD 1293 21oz. I ended up really liking the feel of the sam, and up against it, the SD felt cheap somehow, or at least not quite right...

You are saying that I should be grateful of something because of its non-value, and only appreciate other things, not by their virtues, but because of them not being that other that is of no value to me.

No.

the denim on these deadstock wranglers is nuts.. the weave is almost dobby.. well odd.

very iregular.. but i havent worn them so not sure what the indigo side looks like worn down a bit yet. reminds me of action man clothes.

looks like a broken twill to me, tommy. some slubs visible, but i wouldn't call it very irregular.

so i don't get diddy on my ass: how do you feel about broken twill, HJJ?

I can't wait until I've got enough denim experience to have such strong opinions on the fabric.

Right now all I've come away with is that I like modern cuts that are slim and have a lowish rise. I don't dig on the anti-fit jeans with 16" rises, duck tails, and saddle bags. I also don't dig on distressed denim anymore.

I haven't decided on streaky vs. regular dyeing methods and slubby vs. non-slubby weaves yet.

I do like rogue warp knots though.

HJJ - how do you feel about rogue warp knots?

If you have to rank every kind of denim material, one type will always be ranked higher than another. Doesn't mean #2 and #3 should be eliminated completely.

I feel what OP is saying but it doesn't really mean anything. I think low rise mens looks stupid but I would never suggest it be taken off the market.

Or maybe the OP is saying, "everyone thinks slubby is the best thing out there, I think think it's #2 or #3 at best." I can feel that...

Personally im on the fence, I think my next jeans might either be Oni blues or LVC 501s which are as slubby vs unslubby as you can get...

Lastly I've tried on all of SC's current mainline offerings and for some reason the fit is just waay off for me, I would not buy those for me no matter how nice the material.

To those commenting on Sugarcane's fits..

Just so you know.. They're stopping production on all their repro cuts this year.

They're releasing a whole new line, starting with three cuts.

A bootcut.. A Straightleg.. And the Self Edge x Sugarcane slim jeans...

To make this post more relevant to the thread.. I too am not very fond of ultra-slubby denim. My favorite two denims are Iron Hearts Indigo Selvedge and Flat Head's 3XXX denim.

the denim on these deadstock wranglers is nuts.. the weave is almost dobby.. well odd.

very iregular.. but i havent worn them so not sure what the indigo side looks like worn down a bit yet. reminds me of action man clothes.

its called broken twill

its called broken twill

i dont know much about denim to be honest, but i thought 'slubby' meant iregularity in the denim, ie. lots of well, what looks to me like thread breaks or too short strands? tension problems? inconsistent guage?

when i turn these inside out they are literally polka dotted with shoddy patches of weave/knots.

doesnt broken twill just mean no set direction of weave?

?!

My slubs are there for me when I dont have a date.

My slubs never say no to intimacy.

My slubs never complain about my dirty floor.

My slubs actually like it when I pour beer on them.

My slubs will never complain about my cooking.

My slubs are just...there for me...