The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

Got my undergrad degree from Rutgers Newark in Anthropology. Now I'm a grad student in the Anthropology program at University of New Mexico living off loans, savings, and various other hustle funds, probably won't need a job for a few more months if I do this proper. Once I get my masters here I'm planning on heading back east to land a job in the NYC museum circle, but who knows how these things work?

I have class 3 days a week, and spend the rest of my week getting drunk, moshing, biking, reading, filming, writing and hanging with my girl.

Life is rad

Honestly I have no idea what I am doing with my life. I'm stuck here @ University of Michigan, currently studying Psychology. I don't know what I want to do with that, though.

I'm great at giving advice and listening to people, but I don't think I want to be a psychiatrist. Maybe something social work or PR, but I think I need some kind of a communication degree for the PR..I've always been a creative person, and I'd love to work with people and do some advertising or something like marketing.

I need help :(

As a Polsci major, your are not making me feel good about my prospects...

Same here.

BA in Poli Sci and now do Public Relations for my cousins company. Definitely not my passion, nor something i see myself doing for another week or two, at least not in this capacity,

The problem with a political science degree is that its not very specific. Its a very general degree that doesnt lead you down a certain path, you have to make your own. I have been thinking about going back to school for my masters, because a BA just isnt enough to ball out, hell, even get a desirable position at a company. I know i could always work my way up in a company, but $15 an hour right out of college is a little dissapointng considering what i put into it. Not acceptable.

so wtf am i doing with my life? Working in a boring underpaying job in a shitfuck of a city. Im going to resign after my contract runs out (1 month) and pursue higher education and get some sort of part time gig.

Working 9-5 sucks big ball sack. When you wake up, u only havce ebough time to shower and get dressed. Then youre off to work til 5. Leave work. Get stuck in traffic for about an hour. Get home. Eat. Gym. Smoke. Repeat. Fuck that shit.

:( du i'm moving in in a few days. i hope it won't be like that for me. i really doubt that UCI is "devoid of culture". maybe you're not trying? everyone i've heard from says UCI is boring unless you get off your ass a little.

buncha hot corny asian girls. fuck as much as you can. the dorms are your friend.

also, most of the hot ones will be in your breadth requirements classes (hot and dumb). try not to finish most of your breadth classes 1st year because when you're a wiser and more desperate 4th year, most of your puss resources may be tapped out i.e. harvest for the winter as well.

wtf AM i doing with my life?

shit... never went to college. got 2 kids. single. been working in construction for 8 years and have moved up the ranks pretty fucking quick... the people who work under me have much more experience and are at least 10 years older than me. making pretty good money for where i live and not having a degree, and the company i work for has pretty much gaurenteed that i will have a job with them as long as i want to work for them. i get to skate every day, drink every day, meet girls... shit... im living life and enjoying the fuck out of it. im not making 6 figures a year, but i really dont care... as long as i have enough money to pay my bills, eat food every day, have a little bit of smoke and a little bit of beer, and a skateboard to ride, im happy.

cheep how old are you? after highschool i worked in construction as well, mostly milling and paving asphalt. i took community college courses then eventually i went to school full time and earned a bachelors in civil engineering, still working in construction. although i didnt have to get my hands dirty anymore, i dont think my life was significantly better after that. in college i met my future wife(separated now). we have a daughter. i stopped working in construction because of the traveling and i wanted to be home. and designing wasnt my cup of tea so i did not stay long in the office either. what happend next was a big change, my sister bidded on a contract to have a deli in an office complex. she won and now we work on that.

how old are your kids now? do they live with you? i quit smoking when my kid was born. havent had a drink in 6 months either not sure if i miss it

reading through some of the other post, i guess i also want to say to you younger people in college appreciate the opportunity you have. an education is a worthwhile investment. i think it was warren buffet who said the most important investment is in yourself. you might be wondering what you will do with your so and so degree but that piece of paper alone can get you farther then being a dummy working his ass off...

for example im sure you can notice that in construction, the ones without the degrees work as laborers out in the sun, while the more experienced or ones with degrees can be managers sitting in a construction trailer. and the ones with the MBAs are wearing suits in an office somewhere doing pretty much no work all day. see with just a degree, how much your life can change...

just my 2 cents.

cheep how old are you? after highschool i worked in construction as well, mostly milling and paving asphalt. i took community college courses then eventually i went to school full time and earned a bachelors in civil engineering, still working in construction. although i didnt have to get my hands dirty anymore, i dont think my life was significantly better after that. in college i met my future wife(separated now). we have a daughter. i stopped working in construction because of the traveling and i wanted to be home. and designing wasnt my cup of tea so i did not stay long in the office either. what happend next was a big change, my sister bidded on a contract to have a deli in an office complex. she won and now we work on that.

how old are your kids now? do they live with you? i quit smoking when my kid was born. havent had a drink in 6 months either not sure if i miss it

im 28, and my kids are 7 and 3... they dont live with me.

First semester senior year, I'm abroad in London. Looks like I'm about to lock up an internship for the semester, and I've had one between freshman and sophomore year too. Studying Television, Radio and Film at Syracuse University. When I get back I'd like to live in a warehouse for my last semester, somewhere I can set up some sewing machines and make more jeans. I need to figure out what to do for my thesis film as well.

My current problem is my perspective on everything is out of whack. I spent a bunch of time the last two years hanging out with anarchists and political radicals, so now I judge everything through a fucking ruthlessly puritanical viewpoint. I have trouble admitting how useless that is as a life style and just getting on with it/acting like a normal self interested human being. Arrrgh fuck trying to sound edgy and post structuralist

Looking back maybe I shouldn't have eaten so much LSD two summers ago. Ehh, whatever.

Anyways, after school I want to work in the film industry or just make jeans for a few years, see where it takes me and then maybe think about going back to school for industrial design or some program with a sustainability focus.

yeah dude, i mean i enjoyed studying it and i thought it gave me good critical thinking skills and the ability to put things into perspective, but in terms of getting a job with it, you either have to 1) go to grad school 2) get a gov't internship/position early 3) work in a non-profit or NGO and make shit money 4) Try out law school

yeah. exactly. it's not a major you take unless you intend to attend some form of a grad school.

Just got out of a 5 year military enlistment (navy) last month. I was an aviation electrician working on fighter jets. Now I'm about to start a new job w/ a family company here in Orlando, that I'm already dreading. I sent my application to a recruiter, and he found 4 jobs for me... 3 in NYC (which is where I want to be), 1 in DC, all of them field engineer positions.

I'm also graduating with a degree in electrical engineering technology, which is helping me get my foot into the door w/ the field engineer jobs. Apparently I can be interviewing as early as next week. If all goes well I'll be a field engineer in NYC, traveling to various job sites fixing/maintaining electrical systems.

Junior at University of Oregon.

Currently studying abroad for a semester at CIMBA in northern Italy (about an hour north of venice).

Marketing major.

Was thinking about doing a double major in marketing and advertising (business/journalism as the official title), but would have to stay a 5th year.

Thinking maybe I can advance my career more in a year in the real world than at school getting a 2nd degree.

Still not sure and looking for advice.

Other than that, trying to enjoy life right now.

I don't have any real work experience and that bothers me, hopefully I can land a decent internship although I don't know how.

P.S. everyone at this study abroad program is from the midwest and doesn't understand/care about fashion/clothing/music/shoes...... I'm still gonna hit up all the shops I want during traveling, it just wont be as fun without fellow shoeheads. oh well.

Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.

Fritter and waste, the hours in an offhand way.

Picking around on a piece of ground in my hometown.

Waiting for someone or something to show me the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain.

And I am young, and life is long.

And there is time to kill today.

And then one day I found,

Ten years I got behind me

No one told me when to run,

I missed the starting gun.

And I run, and I run

to catch up with the sun,

but its sinking.

Racing around, to come up behind me again.

The sun is the same in a relative way

But I'm older.

Shorter of breath

One day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter

never seem to find the time

Plans that either come to naught

or half a page of scribbled lines

Hanging on in quiet desperation

is the English way

The time is gone, the song is over,

thought I'd something more to say

Home, home again

I like to be here when I can

And when I come home cold and tired

Its good to warm my bones beside the fire

Far away across the field

The tolling of the iron bell

Calls the faithful to their knees

To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

i'm in my first year at san francisco, but junior standing right now. liberal studies major/emphasis in creative arts. minor in industrial design. i don't know what is going to come of it, but i'm usually motivated and focused, so i'm pretty sure i'll be able to find something to put my energy into and get money out of. I'd be able to teach high school french with an another year of schooling, if i need to fall back on something.

the question is this.

what have i been doing?

nothing.

yeah, i know what you're thinking

that sounds pretty good

you're thinking i might like to do nothing myself.

well, let me tell you.

doing nothing is not as easy as it looks.

you have to be careful

because the idea of doing anything

could easily lead to doing something

that would cut into your nothing

and that would force me to have to drop everything.

For all you career guys out there:

Currently attending University of Michigan.

1. Stay in Econ, graduate in 4 years, mediocre gpa

2. U. Michigan Ross bschool, better gpa, better placement in BB's/MBB, graduate in 5 years, ~10k more debt

?

More information needed. (I have both a bach in econ and a bach in business) What do you want to do in econ? If you're thinking business school the only thing econ really fits in with is finance so... be prepared for that. My issue is that after I got my econ I went for the business degree and realized just how little I wanted to do with it.

im currently working at a restaurant with two toher sufu'ers.

i have a half completed communications degree which im constantly thinking i should finish. ive also attened an art/design college for a few credits but dont really see the point in finishing it.

ive never been a fan of the student lifestyle since ive been working full tim since i was 17 and have grown accustomed to being able to spoil myself. im not the type for student loans and i cant eat kraft dinner so i can never be a full time student unless i get a scholarship.

my short term goal is to buy a property so i can buil equity rather than pay rent. other than that, i dont desire a higher purpose for my life because i come from a working class background and have already exceeded the expectations and standards set by my parents.

it would be nice to one day have a job that find more fulfilling than serving tables, but i like making money tax free and without having to think about it. this will be fine while im young but once my body cant handle the stress i will probly wish i had have stayed in school.

be wary of securing financing to purchase your property without declaring your tips. people who don't make a consistent income (bartenders/waiters/strippers/etc) often get turned down because they can't prove that they make a certain amount.

if you want to start owning property and don't have the cash saved up (i don't think i'm out of line to assume you don't have 100% to put down on a home) you might consider claiming enough to back up a mortgage qualification . . .30 grand a year gross? and if you take a few classes you can generally write off tuition and books so you're saving money on taxes whilst completing your education and getting closer to owning a home :)

(edit - i meant gross, not net)