The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

My wife and I moved about 18 months ago in order for her to pursue a fairly lucrative job opportunity. I had an okay job at Target, the quintessential glass ceiling. "You're great.... but...." I was looking forward to the clean break.

I had no idea how clean of a break it would be. I took the first job I could find, I needed work. Last year I worked my ass off 40 hours a week,. I was rehired, and thought things would be the same as they'd been.

My hard work paid off and I now work 24-26 hours a week.

I need to get my shit together, but college didn't agree with me. I know I need a career, but I'd settle for a different job.

My options are : Wal-Mart, and .. . ?

I'd like to be busy with something. I work 5 hours a day, then I come home, tidy up the house and then watch netflix until my wife gets home. She's busy, she works 10-11 hour days. I feel like a 50's house wife with a part time job to keep me from getting bored.

I feel like I am ___ that close to being nothing like I want, hope, care to be.

- end rant -

rF

Radiology has a good future with 2+ years of schooling

wait, as in a doctor doing radiology? aka a radiologist?

that's more like 10+ years of schooling.

unless you're a rad technician, in which case, whatever.

i hope you score a fulbright. i got "recommended" by the fulbright ctte but wasn't actually chosen/funded. *weep*

Thanks, man. I don't like my chances, it sounds ridiculously competititve. But my publication record is pretty good and I managed to get a letter of invitation from a pretty big name in my field based on my PhD work, so we'll see. Interviews in Oct if I make the first cut.

Thanks, man. I don't like my chances, it sounds ridiculously competititve. But my publication record is pretty good and I managed to get a letter of invitation from a pretty big name in my field based on my PhD work, so we'll see. Interviews in Oct if I make the first cut.

Awesome. Where will you be headed if you get it? (If that isn't too identifying?) Best of luck dude!

Medicinal chemistry.

Good stuff... Chemical engineering here. I know most "true" chemists hate engineers, or at least how much they simplify everything. I should've had a double minor in chemistry and mathematics, but my university wouldn't give it to me because I didn't take all the hours there.:mad:

Starting first year at UCLA in a couple of weeks. declared Japanese because i thought it would help me get in and I'm actually interested in being fluent but I'm afraid about not being able to do anything with a Japanese degree. Considering double majoring in Econ.

i have a honest question:

how does one get into fashion? i'd love to hear some insight and experiences from somebody on here who's been in the industry for a while

OkayOkay is right when he said don't do it for the money. you could make boatloads of money but it won't be quick and painless and it won't happen unless you're not doing it for the money anyway.

idk anything about retail whatever. i've just been an assistant on a small womenswear company. garment business is weird. its all super hush hush. but ask around people always need help, not kidding. its a huge rush constantly to get things out the door and to get things made. i started out cutting and what not. i lucked out and got paid off the bat and paid through training. you might have to offer to get trained unpaid or intern for a while first. no idea how real life works just mine.

i would just ask around a lot saying you want to learn and get a job and what not. say you'll do cutting or something easy, or if you can sew or even better knit or something like that mention you want to help with that. just whatever to get a foot in the door you know.

if you want to work for some big fashion house i have no idea. i think you need to be an intern there for a few years (my impression is they rely heavily on interns) and somehow work your way up. that or start some clothing line out of getting a fashion bfa or mfa and be sort of successful for a few years buddy up with some fashion house head and eventually hopefully get hired.

if you want to be a designer you probably want to go to school, if not for a bfa or mfa or whatever, then do a program at a real fashion school. like one of those 1 year or 6 month or whatever programs.

i won't go into details but i think the designer i work for did that, went to a program and then got picked up somehow by an established label as a grader, then eventually she started designing dresses for said label. gotta start somewhere low down and work your way up like any other job i suppose.

if you want to do your own thing eventually though, to start a company, you gotta get some money and make a leap. thats the scary part about it, its not a job where you are working for someone else. gotta risk it.

but yeah, its all very slow. there are probably only a handful of young hotshot designers. the big fashion houses are essentially done by guys with more than a handful of years under their belts.

but, at the same time. fashion is kind of like any other job. maybe a little more mysterious than most. just try and get your foot in the door somewhere, probably you want to go to school in some form. maybe you don't have to, idk, i'm still pretty lowly (though, in the small company i work for, i kind of do a lot. and honestly i probably know enough now to start a business, at least from the business side. idk that much about draping or any of that. thats the way it works, you learn business in the business, and you learn design in school)

but yeah, start small dream big. same spiel as any other job. or start your own company leap in, which i guess is also like any other job.

to uh. regather what i've been saying. if i was you. well. no. knowing nothing about you, i'll assume you're twenty something already went to college to get a ba in something. i'd go to some school in NYC and do a 1 year or whatever program and then try and get a job or internship with some company.

if you're 18 and going to college your best bet is to study fashion and then cary on from there.

sorry, thats really long and rambling. those are my observations from a limited time in a small job in a small company and having no formal schooling so to speak. if you have any other questions i'll answer to the best of my ability, but honestly any answers i can give probably won't be that helpful.

I'll hopefully be able to crank out 2-3 publications by this time next year along with my thesis. From there its ??? job?? IDK. Would like to move to Austin TX.

Yeah yea, starting a company would be "so kewel" and an ultimate dream of mine. I have nothing tying me down (fam, debt, etc) and everybody says being young is the best time to take that risk.

Does anyone have experience with taking 40-60k and making a business grow from that?

Edit: just some ramblings

It seems like every pursuit in life rewards some trait which isn't immediately obvious - college: ability to have a consistent study plan, prioritize work & social life. Academia: ability to write grants & find funding, lead people and direct research, squeeze work from grad students. Entrepreneurship: ???