NBA Basketball

hamham3001

spurs are playing like suckers right now. one more quarter left and san antonio down by 13. really shocked at how out of sync the spurs look. they act like they haven't ever played with one another before. spurs lose this game and the series is basically over.

might see a grizzlies / thunder 2nd round.

DUDE, I understand I can watch it on a computer (Thanks for cluing me in). I was curious as to why it wasn't working right now and if anyone else was having the issue. Thanks for the link!

Oh word, I just thought you meant that league pass was dead and you had no way to watch it...

anyhow:

did anyone else just see andre miller go all rondo? up and under with the left? yikes.

also:

284836993.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1303784495&Signature=cwxr7g0xZtjpfMKzOT2e0CRL6r8%3D

Dude, click the link I just posted.

also: I'd like to hear Dallas fans complain about the calls in this first half.

Dallas fans could complain about calls in a game that doesn't even exist. It's what they do.

The only person who has really complained vocally in this series is Nate McMillan (even though Tyson Chandler is the only person who should be complaining).

Basically, this was a game that showed the fact that the Mavericks are just a better all-around team...but that's been pretty clear from the beginning.

Portland lost that game for a variety of reasons, most of them their own fault.

But those two quick fouls on Gerald Wallace absolutely got portland out of their rhythm. Both teams were cold to start, and Portland finally got it going and immediately got screwed by Wallace having to sit. For the rest of the game any blazer player that got into the paint would have to hit the ground like a sack of potatoes to get a foul called while all Dirk had to do was open his mouth...

(not to say that plenty of the calls on Dirk weren't legit, portland was helping out terribly on him. But a bunch of them were silly. The one on Batum on an offensive board sticks out...)

I don't blame the loss on the refs at all, (the real problem was rebounding, on both ends) but portland is the younger, less experienced team (though I'm not sure they're "worse") and it's hard to understate the degree that a few egregiously bad calls can throw them off their game when they're trying to go on a late run and get back in it. (brandon roy getting bodychecked by marion on that steal?) That being said, they didn't try very hard...

McMillan also had some questionably late/weird substitutions (why wasn't the roy/chris johnson lineup that was so successful early never used again?) why was andre miller in for so long before bringing in roy? (Who was arguably doing a better job setting up the offense quickly and cleanly than andre was.)

Either way, thursday will be interesting.

At least one of those fouls on Wallace was a pretty weak call, but there have been plenty of those all around this series (and in the playoffs in general this season, from what I've seen).

But nothing compares to when Chandler got whistled for picking the ball up off the ground while completely avoiding contact with a diving portland player (forget who) in game 3. Or the double tech when Aldridge went at him and he just walked away with his arms up.

Seriously...not saying calls have been outrageously biased in any direction except for against Tyson. ha.

wait wait wait: the double tech was because tyson tossed an elbow at lamarcus after the play had ended and clipped him in the face...

not saying it should've been a tech, but chandler does that whole "body somebody up, give the extra shove, then walk away with my hands up grinning like a fool" and be surprised when the other team takes exception.

and like you said, "at least one" of those calls on gerald was junk, which just shows how important that one call can be... the blazers were definitely looking like they were in control when he had to sit.

(ahhh, what might have been. etc etc)

but in general, I agree: despite how entertaining all of the playoffs have been this year the reffing has been awful. And this series is arguably the worst, not just in blown/incorrect calls but just how fucking tight the refs are calling some games, then not the next... even quarter by quarter they've been inconsistent: ugh. It's infuriating to watch in general, of course it's worse when it's happening to your team...

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tnt_overtime/2011/04/26/20110425_inside_4.nba/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Video of the TNT crew discussing Kobe's recent sprained ankle. Found it interesting because Barkley mentioned more than once, that Kobe would more or less be fine to play because he'd receive a shot that would completely relieve the pain.

Off the top of my head, I know that sports sanctioned by athletic commissions don't condone the use of painkillers. But I'm sort of mixed up on who oversees the NBA, if not its own self, and what the regulations are on painkillers.