Underrated Movies - because love is better than hate

wild_whiskey

Name off some movies that went under the radar but deserve to be seen. Don't flip out if someone lists a movie you and all your friends have seen. This isn't a discussion of what underrated means, just list some great movies you think other people might not have seen or heard of.

I'll start. In an encouraging attempt to get you to google this stuff, I'm keeping it small.

Tony Takitani (Japanese)

Idiocracy (American)

The World (Chinese)

The Triplets of Belleville (French, Animated)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont really know any indie or foriegn movies but white chicks was hilarious. everyone made fun of it because the concept and plot are so incredibly stupid but it is laugh out loud from start to finish and i am not afraidto sayit. rent white chicks.

Guest itsmeJT

romper stomper, film fucked rocked.

russell crowe's best performance

based on an interesting subject and had strong acting throughout, plus the music was good too.

everyone should watch this

HANDO! GOOKS DOWN THE HOTEL! FOURTH REICH FIGHTING MEN THATS WHAT WE ARE WE'RE LIVING IN THE SEWERS BUT WE'RE GONNA GO FAR!

Another really underrated Russell Crowe film is Proof. It's about a blind man who takes photographs of where he goes, so that someone else can describe them to him. Good flick.

Diva is a really underrated movie too. It's a French film from '81, good plot and it was made in an interesting new wave style .. definitely something that should be checked out.

Anthony Zimmer - at least in Australia no one's seen it, idoubt it's the same in france... Really fun, smart movie.

Marie Antoinette(sp?) - A lot of people saw it, but didnt read/hear a lot of glowing reviews for this. I really liked it, and it shows movies dont have to be narrative focussed.

romper stomper, film fucked rocked.

russell crowe's best performance

based on an interesting subject and had strong acting throughout, plus the music was good too.

everyone should watch this

HANDO! GOOKS DOWN THE HOTEL! FOURTH REICH FIGHTING MEN THATS WHAT WE ARE WE'RE LIVING IN THE SEWERS BUT WE'RE GONNA GO FAR!

skinhead! skinhead! runnin through the night!

Dog Soldiers is one of the best werewolf films ever made, imo. It's a British film, so I guess it didn't get much publicity. The characters are just so English and the dialogue is on point.

"Come get some if you think you're hard enough!!!" This movie is excellent.

BTW great recommendations, especially the Beineix and Jia Zhang Ke.

Dog Soldiers is one of the best werewolf films ever made, imo. It's a British film, so I guess it didn't get much publicity. The characters are just so English and the dialogue is on point.

fuck yes.

still haven't seen his follow-up, the descent, though...

Ahlvaroe, Idiocracy got so-so reviews. It could have been better, but IMO the concept and the characters were hilarious. Definitely worth a watch.

DDML - I'm glad you liked TT. That one really slipped out of view for many people.

Another really underrated Russell Crowe film is Proof. It's about a blind man who takes photographs of where he goes, so that someone else can describe them to him. Good flick.

The blind man being Hugo Weaving, right? I really enjoyed that movie.

also, Yiyi is an incredibly rewarding movie. Sweet, sad and beautifully done. Oddly enough, Issei Ogata (Tony Takitani) has a role in this movie as a Japanese businessman.

i watched this one on your rec some time ago and i love it

my wife bought it for me last christmas

perfect for a sufu-er

The wardrobe style is quite reminiscent of Margiela, I wonder which designer(s?) they used.

tony takitani is indeed a great movie. They did a good job in translating murakami story onto the screen.

Dolls by takeshi kitano. 3 short stories, pretty cinematography, customes by Yohji Yamamoto. Kind of a slow film but I enjoyed it.

SUZHOU RIVER by Lou Ye. It should be watched if you are a fan of early wong kar wai films. The movie was also being compared to Hitchcock''s Vertigo.

B0007GADXQ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V46896585_SS500_.jpg

the descent was probably the best horror movie in 2005/6, whichever year it was
THE BURBS!!!!

essentially the best film ever made. Tom Hanks, Bruce Dern, Corey Feldman, Carrie Fischer and ... the dude that plays Art. You'll either love it or hate it, or think its okay.

agreed on both.

Shit - Dolls, forgot about that *adds to wish list*

I dont know if these are underrated but I really like em

Panic in needle park

The War Zone

Pi

The End of Violence

Vengence Trilogy

Ghost Dog

A Scanner Darkly ( and any PKD film really )

.....Big Kahuna - bit of a guilty pleasure..

edit - anyone see "dumplings"? Thoughts??

Guest jmatsu

killing time- this film used the quote "revenge is a dish best served cold" years before kill bill.

the exectioner,bearfigher (he fucking kills a bear), bull fighter(he fucking kills a bull), and killing machine (staring shinichi "sonny" chiba)- everyone raves about the streetfighter, but these are just as good.

a better tommorrow 4- staring chow yun fat again. why this did not make it into the boxed set is beyond me. i actually enjoyed it more then the first 3.

Guest jmatsu
ghost dog is possibly one of the best movies ive ever seen

colors - robert duvall don cheadle sean penn, what a fuckin cool movie

pirates of silicon valley

nothing against you, but ghost dog was a pile of dogshit.

Guest jmatsu
I loved ghostdog, and im pretty sure ive seen the whole argument for and against it before on SuFu, seems to really polarize (sp?) people.

Man Bites Dog

Dancer in the Dark

Marnie

Audition...

i love man bites dog. i guess it wasn't popular in america, but it got great press in europe and japan.

audition got great reviews everywhere.