Underrated Movies - because love is better than hate

wild_whiskey

Also, am I the only one who enjoyed BOTH Resident Evil movies?

hmm. i think the opening half hour of the first resident evil will probably remain the gold standard for videogame adaptations forever. the rest of the film was good, but not great.

personally, i thought the sequel was a steaming pile of zombie shit, but that's just an opinion...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here seen BLOW UP, by Michaelangelo Antonioni? Good hipster movie set in England. It's almost like a study on the presence of the viewer and his relationship with the characters.

Antonioni's movies are very involving aren't they, they make great talking pieces. By the way he did do a pretty good one with Nicholson and Maria Schneider (of Last Tango in Paris fame) called the Passenger, the restored print is gorgeous.

My suggestion of the day:

The blade by Tsui Hark; great gritty action epic by the master of genre mish-mash himself.

Yeah Blow Up is a great movie. I worked in a cinema that did an antonioni film retrospective and saw a fair bit of his work. I really also liked Zabriskie Point which was the film he made after blow up, visually stunning.

love zabriskie point! that hack spike jonze ripped it off! don't even call it a homaaggggeeeeeee.

Blow Up is amazing - first time i heard the yardbirds was in that film, originally antonioni wanted the who or tomorrow as well as the velvet underground (they were blowing up themselves on the factory scene), but had to settle for the yardbirds, who had just had another lingeup change, this time featuring Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck. Beck left the group two months later.

A lot of underrated Asian films...

Blue Spring

38m.jpg

Beijing Bicycle

84m.jpg

Ping Pong

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance

Visitor Q

Dur Untergang (Downfall)

I can't really remember how well received the movie CONTACT was, but I love that movie and was always fascinated with it. I love Carl Sagan, so that could have something to do with it.

Also, The Machinst. Like, seriously, I heard very little about this movie and it was great.

contact is a good movie - one of the last great jodie foster preformances. i loved the book, read it a long time ago though.

i guess Magnolia. just watched it for the first time in a long while, its not underrated but i feel like its sometimes overlooked in favor of Requiem for a Dream. i still don't like tom cruise though.

• 2 weeks later...

i too was about to say contact. it is a great movie. an alien movie that is not about alien (please for the love of god don't compare it to the crap 'signs'), but one that deals with faith and science in a really insightful and moving, albeit not overly hollywoodized, way.

• 2 weeks later...
A lot of underrated Asian films...

Blue Spring

38m.jpg

Beijing Bicycle

84m.jpg

Ping Pong

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance

Visitor Q

Dur Untergang (Downfall)

I can't really remember how well received the movie CONTACT was, but I love that movie and was always fascinated with it. I love Carl Sagan, so that could have something to do with it.

Also, The Machinst. Like, seriously, I heard very little about this movie and it was great.

ping pong...i dunno...it was like w.e...i didnt find it that great...

got around to watching tony takitani based on positive recs on this thread. i love murakami, but the movie was a bit disappointing. for one thing, the constant narration throughout the movie was incredibly annoying. if you're going to make a movie, make a movie--not a reading of a story with a slideshow. i can totally dig how sufu'ers would love the story though.

ping pong...i dunno...it was like w.e...i didnt find it that great...

To each his own. I love that movie.

The War Zone

I’d second this. It's truly harrowing to watch at times, but definitely deserves to be seen by a wider audience. Whenever I watch Ray Winstone in anything now I immediately think of him in this...

On a related note, I’d recommend Ratcatcher (Lynne Ramsay, 1999) as another gritty drama that deserves more recognition.