Atelier LaDurance

Marcus

No, I now live in Boston! I miss LA. I just have a friend in Holland who knows the Mode D'Emploi guys, a real denim head/academic. just like me!

check drytillyoudie.nl

they have a ALD that are only 60 pices worldwide! they are the only one in the world who sell this ALD!

• 4 weeks later...

i think made in [insert country] used to be a relevant point of quality in earlier decades, but it's pretty useless to talk about now. made in italy (or france) could mean a bunch of different things. it could mean product from fabric to manufacturing was all made in italy (or france). it could also mean only the manufacturing, even only the finish touches in manufacturing was made in italy (or france). it could also mean it was made in italy (or france) using really cheap chinese labor. on the other hand made in china (or france) could mean chinese (or french) workers that manufacture the goods were properly trained in italy (or france) to the point that chinese (or french) made is indestinguishable from italian. chinese made doesnt necessarily mean cheaper quality and french made doesn't necessarily mean better quality. it's a hint, but it's not always true and most likely it's just marketing. /rant

unless you know what manufacturing workshop its made in and you know the quality of the of the workmanship of the made in wherever is just a moo point.

this is not good enough, IMO.

If "designer" or premium brands start moving production out of Europe and into China to save costs on labour force, then I want to see a significant saving passed on to me as a consumer.

They are basically cutting quality costs, or at least being a hypocrite about their previous selling point - ALD - the 'French' denim brand, and yet not passing any of the savings back.

Obviously, I am commenting on the rumour that production will be moved to China, so if the 'rumour' is wrong then I take back those comments.

However, I am commenting in general about all these 'premium' brands which seem to be quietly moving everything to China and not expecting us to notice.

I kind of liked the fact that buying small scale European / American / Japanese brands was keeping these skilled tailors in work, despite 'globalisation'.

yes, that is a good point with regards to moving of production overseas. if it serves a cost-saving purpose on the part of the company, then the customer would prefer to be able to enjoy the savings from that move. if, however, the cost savings were directed towards expanding profit margins, one might feel a little let down.

yet companies are profit maximising bodies, and such decisions are taken every day for various reasons. sentiment, it seems, has little place here...arguably necessarily so.

I kind of liked the fact that buying small scale European / American / Japanese brands was keeping these skilled tailors in work, despite 'globalisation'.

valid point- though it's also worth mentioning that you are still keeping skilled tailors in work- they just happen to be from China/Macau/etc.

The bottom line is...the bottom line! Profit making is the engine that drives all businesses. If not they will go out of business simple as that. Costs are going up all round. workers are demanding more as their cost of living goes up. If you were faced with a situation where material costs are going up, how are you going to maintain profits? you got to cut somewhere. you can't just pass off 'savings' to end comsumers. Thats where chain stores come in.

ALD is a small outfit. how can they afford to pass so- called savings?

valid point- though it's also worth mentioning that you are still keeping skilled tailors in work- they just happen to be from China/Macau/etc.

No, that's not the same.

That would be like saying I want to keep skilled call centre workers in work in India.

My point was that by buying those brands you keeping shrinking domestic industries alive.

Since I don't imagine French labour force costs have risen so wildly and uncontrollably since ALD was formed a few years back, this move is not about 'controlling costs' but being cheap and fooling the consumer - while they will no doubt continue to charge the same price for items made, literally, at a fraction of the French cost.

They are marketing themselves as the premium French denim brand - but they will no longer be very the thing they claimed was their USP.

Obviously, I am commenting on the rumour that production will be moved to China, so if the 'rumour' is wrong then I take back those comments.

the rumor is right, i know a close friend of the owner and he told me it's moving to china. he wasn't too pleased with it too.

• 3 weeks later...

Let me jump in here and say this:

We have carried ALD for three years now, and the build quality on the Roystons that are made in China is comparable to that of the previous seasons French made cuts.

Anyone who objects to Chinese production over quality issues would do well to reconsider. Its not the same as it used to be- there is high quality poroduction coming out of China.

Now, if your objections are over other issues (human rights, politics, etc.), thats another story.

Brands should not charge high prices if being made in China, in my honest opinion.

Made in China is for companies like Primark, H&M, Walmart etc who make cheap and chearful clothing, but pass production cost savings back to the consumer through low prices.

Are ALD planning to do this, or continue to charge "hand made in the French countryside" prices?

(rhetorical question)

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=677

Anyone have any experience with these?

Royston broken twill raw selvage, first and only slimmer fit atelier jean, I really like the look of this... slimmer than the other ALD cuts but not too slim...

I'm not really feeling the Sufu DB jeans right now, I'll hafta wait for new pics but I want to look into some other pairs before my mind is made up, and these are lovely to say the least :)

it's about the brand experience. not just the human right crap and all that. the production of jeans in some small french village makes it more special...

Excatly... They loose their brand image. Without a very specific positionning (in ALD's case, being produced in Provence) on a niche market, it's hard to compete : ALD becomes just another raw denim producer.

And it'll become harder to justify high prices, unless they lower the prices (and loose further their brand image).

Evisu syndrome

Basic marketing

Legitimate points all.

However, I can tell you that without the switch to Chinese production there is absolutely no way that these jeans would retail below $350, much less $300.

Last seasons ALD was a break-even proposition for us because of their hike in wholesale pricing and rising freight costs. With the cost of shipping what it is now we probably would not be carrying the brand were it not for the switch.

These factors combined with inflation and the weak dollar make the price remaining static look pretty go to me.

• 1 month later...