Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

I just got Kiehl's Musk edt. Sniffing the cap, it smells very familiar - like something older ladies wear - sweet/flowery/nectary like dried chrysanthemum or flower pollen but with a strong smell of fresh sweat.

The comparisons that it's a hippy/70s scent is spot on. IMO, it definitely smells better when it dries down on your skin.

What are other people's experiences with Kiehl's Musk and how does it compare to the oil?

Just ordered Histoires de Parfums: 1828, Jules Verne. Burnt through two samples, stuff is real nice.

Description: 1828 by Histoires de Parfums is a Citrus

Aromatic fragrance for men. 1828 was launched

in 2001 . Top notes are grapefruit , citruses,

mandarin orange and eucalyptus ; middle notes

are pepper and nutmeg ; base notes are cedar ,

vetiver , pine tree and incense .

I mean, there are some scents that play up the tobacco smell, ei:

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/section/1/item/36130/brand/Serge_Lutens/Fumerie_Turque.html

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/section/1/item/43101/brand/Odori/Tabacco.html

(in the off chance you're a girl, or at least don't mind more feminine scents) http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/section/1/item/47710/brand/Etat_Libre_d%E2%80%99Orange/Jasmin_et_Cigarettes.html

that being said, I don't know how either of those actually smell, or how they'd smell mixed with actual cigarette smoke.

^I'm not sure whats the case with the Odori, but with Serge Lutens, if you order any other samples from Lucky Scent, you can email them right after and ask if they'll throw some SL samples in, which they always oblige, assuming they're in stock. I think its some brand image thing with SL where they don't want their samples sold for profit, kind of like how APC doesn't let independent stores post fit pics of the jeans. Best of luck.

has anyone here tried JAR parfums? I'm dying to smell them but I won't be in Paris or NY anytime soon. just want to know if they're worth the hype.

I had the chance to sample their line during my last trip to NY at their boutique in Bergdorf Goodman.

A very unique and fantastic experience. The ambiance is unlike any other perfume boutique I've ever ventured into, and I had a superb, if not very mysterious, experience with the representative I talked to.

Don't know if it's worth going to NY exclusively to visit the boutique, but it's definitely something I won't forget. A little beyond what I'm willing to pay for fragrances right now, though...

I think I need to make my way to Paris (it's closer). I am super intrigued by the whole sampling experience as well as the scents themselves. The actual decants are available on the perfumed court but I think I want to wait to go to the actual boutiques..

wanted to love the six scents n. hoolywood but i barely smell any of the woods after like 30 minutes..

i don't mind it but it smells more synthetic then you would think based on the description. for a hinoki scent monocle #1 hits the mark a lot better.

juun.j is my preference from series 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to sample Serge Lutens Jeux de Peau.. it's supposed to smell like buttered bread

from ozmoz

Serge Lutens is as playful as ever, and his latest fragrance, scheduled to launch in early 2011 will probably surprise you: it smells like buttered toast! The somewhat farfetched idea behind this eccentric scent was that Serge Lutens wanted to recreate the odor of the buttered toast he liked so much as a little boy. To all those – men and women, since it’s a unisex scent – who will be tempted to “butter themselves up” with this unusual, oriental-charred-wood scent, Serge Lutens professes, ‘Eat, for this is my body’. But just what notes actually go into ‘Jeux de peau’ (“Skin Games”)? Monsieur Serge is staying mum about the formula, so we’ll just have to enlighten you. Very sandalwood / milky at the top, the fragrance soon reveals a toast accord with a few sweeter and floral facets that call rosewood to mind, and other, more sugar-and-spice ones, with a licorice-coco feel to them. A hint of something apricot-fruity (would that be osmanthus by any chance, Monsieur Serge?) brings a finishing touch to this tasty breakfast in a bottle. Rumor has it that this toasty eau de parfum even contains a wheat extract. To be sure, you’ll have to wait until February or March...