Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Dzing (L'Artisan Parfumeur) sounds amazing , love that smell.. reminds me of mid-late summers

I think I've mentioned a million times, but Noor on Cumberland carries the line, and they're great to deal with. They're very happy to provide samlpes of anything you want and there's never any pressure to buy.

You're probably smelling one of two things...hydroxycitronellol, (snip)

That's interesting. It reminds me of what I read on the "CB I hate perfume" journal about galaxolide (?) …

Thanks for recommendations.

I used to like Bogner Man classic but it's hard to find, and doesn't last very long.

You're probably smelling one of two things...hydroxycitronellol, a synthetic used in essentially every cologne/perfume today, along with most household products that aids in achieving a rosy, floral scent...or...aldehydes, which are extremely potent little buggers that are used to give a "sparkly" soapy effect, and had mostly been used in women's perfumery (Chanel No. 5) but are often thrown in in smaller doses in men's and unisex scents these days to give them life.

Maybe if that realm of smells are too much for you, try Tar or Garage for the opposite end of the spectrum.

I finally figured out what tar smells like to me, and why i loved it as soon as i smelled it. If you've ever been to a cottage and gone inner tubing, you'll know what i mean, it smells like fresh air, a new inner tube, and a boat motor churning ahead of you. and that smells like summer to me.

just went and tryed monocle fragrence at dsm i love it sent changed on me from first spray till when i hhad finished looking round the store its a great scent,I managed to drag myself out the store without buying but i have to have it

couldn't agree more, i was thinking about 88 for my next F/W scent, but the classy woods of Monocle might be winning out.

That's interesting. It reminds me of what I read on the "CB I hate perfume" journal about galaxolide (?) …

Thanks for recommendations.

I used to like Bogner Man classic but it's hard to find, and doesn't last very long.

Galaxolide is a great synthetic...essentially just a musk, but it does wonders for a perfume. Tresor is 25% galaxolide, and Mure et Musc also has a very high percentage.

I fucking hate the bitches at perfume counters. They're stupid aggresive, annoying, and retarded...all at once. Unless you're in a dedicated perfume store, avoid them at all costs. :mad:

1. Avoid eye contact...no matter what! They smell fear.

2. Always refuse whatever they ask...even if its "how are you?", I always say "no thank you".

3. After you refuse whatever they're spilling on you, they usually follow up with "are you looking for a git?" At this point, I totally ignore them and keep walking....even if I'm looking at something...its easier to go back to it later.

4. Always go prepared - know exactly what you want...otherwise they're try to sell the whole fucking store to you.

5. As intimidating as it is, its MUCH easier to deal with the men/drag-queens than the women...as scary as the guys that work there may look, they will no doubt be easier to deal with in the end.

6. Bring a friend - keep conversing with your buddy the whole time so they don't have a chance to intervene.

Optional, but helpful:

7. Swat at flies that aren't there and occassionally yell profanities...they'll assume that you've come to drink the perfume and won't be tempted to approach you.

8. Reply to "would you like to try the new jean paul gaultier?" with "no, but would you like to try some of my special hand cream?"

Whatever they ask me, sell me I always end up telling them "You're a dork!"

On a side note, I will fucking get Ambre Sultan, smells like a Buddhist Temple, but the drydwon is awesome!

Addendum to GimmeGimme's rules adapted from George Costanza's Car Dealership Rules:

#9 - The Walk-out...

GEORGE: Look at these salesmen. The only thing these guys fear is the walk-out. No matter what they say, you say, "I’ll walk out of here right now!"

(A salesman approaches)

SALESMAN: Can I help you with something?

GEORGE: (Threatening) Hold it! One more step and we’re walkin’!

reading that list made me laugh. i worked in the cosmetics dept of a store when i was younger selling all the mens stuff.. i think the reason i prob did so well is cos i wasnt bothered if i sold anything like all the women were. i remember selling about £500 of aramis to some sheik when his wife was being manhandled by a woman asst, i think he was just bored and wanted a chat!

Addendum to GimmeGimme's rules adapted from George Costanza's Car Dealership Rules:

#9 - The Walk-out...

GEORGE: Look at these salesmen. The only thing these guys fear is the walk-out. No matter what they say, you say, "I’ll walk out of here right now!"

(A salesman approaches)

SALESMAN: Can I help you with something?

GEORGE: (Threatening) Hold it! One more step and we’re walkin’!

ha...funny.

reading that list made me laugh. i worked in the cosmetics dept of a store when i was younger selling all the mens stuff.. i think the reason i prob did so well is cos i wasnt bothered if i sold anything like all the women were. i remember selling about £500 of aramis to some sheik when his wife was being manhandled by a woman asst, i think he was just bored and wanted a chat!

Do they really teach the sales people to be that way??? I don't get it. Does anyone actually like being treated like that???

I picked up Odeur 71 from Assin in Sydney after having a long, really interesting chat with the staff member there, I'm absolutely in love with this scent, it makes me feel like I'm sitting at an old oak desk in some study filled with books. I've already gotten a bunch of compliments when I went out last night and just smelling it on myself boosts my confidence.

^ Its really a fascinating scent in that everyone seems to associate it with something different.

I find it to be a metallic, masculine floral. The original 53, on which 71 was based, contains 50% Hedione, which is a synthetic jasmin isolate. I don't find 53 to be all that wearable, so 71 seems to have picked up where it left off.

I usually put burberry brit...

But i have a question...

Can you put the same perfume that the one you were putting on with your ex girl/boyfriend?

Because, i used to put fahrenheit form Dior an now i just can stand it anymore because it reminds me of this fucking girl...

What do you mean can you? Are you asking if it's allowed?

nope, i'm asking if you can stand the smell... and all the memories it brings back...

This hasn't happened to me as I only recently started getting into cologne but if I was wearing it before the relationship I wouldn't think this would happen.

If it was given to me by an ex I could see it happening.

I've been using Kyoto for about a month now and I'm very happy with it. At first it had sharp wood notes - similar to Sequoia - and what seemed like green tea/coffee, but as it settled into my skin the whole scent blended together to make a rich and friendly smell on my skin. very comforting

I'd like to try something that has the same comfort level as Kyoto, but take the scent in a new direction, anyone suggest anything?

I've been using Kyoto for about a month now and I'm very happy with it. At first it had sharp wood notes - similar to Sequoia - and what seemed like green tea/coffee, but as it settled into my skin the whole scent blended together to make a rich and friendly smell on my skin. very comforting

I'd like to try something that has the same comfort level as Kyoto, but take the scent in a new direction, anyone suggest anything?

Have you ever tried Navegar by L'Artisan?

Does anyone have any experience with this? I remember smelling it when it was still in production (which ceased with Lang resigned), but I can't remember if I liked it or not.

Anyway, was looking for a plain musk, and I think it should fit the bill nicely. Was just curious if anyone owned it at any point. :confused:

I have a friend that has a bottle of HL, (small brown bottle, looks like medicine?) if that's the one you're talking about. I'll check it out next time I'm at his place but I can't say that it's something that stuck with me.

I got my summer pretty much covered with CdG Soda and Garage (thx again gg) but I'm still waiting on the Energy series, although I'm not expecting anything spectacular.

I have a friend that has a bottle of HL, (small brown bottle, looks like medicine?) if that's the one you're talking about. I'll check it out next time I'm at his place but I can't say that it's something that stuck with me.

I got my summer pretty much covered with CdG Soda and Garage (thx again gg) but I'm still waiting on the Energy series, although I'm not expecting anything spectacular.

I think the brown bottle is Cuiron...I think the EDC/musk is clear...but I might be wrong. Anyway, I ordered a bottle off ebay, so I guess I'll (hopefully) find out.

I'm hoping that the Energy Series surprises and ends up being really strange and original...but with names like Lime and Lemon...chances are slim.

If anyone's looking for something strange/unusual - check out this site: http://www.shapingroom.com/index.html

I tried 100% Love (thanks T.), and can safely say that most guys wouldn't want to wear it (chocolate & roses), but you never know. The other two are intruiging....although the names & bottles are cheesy, the perfumers this guy gets to do his stuff is pretty incredible.

Gimme, Dzing! is being discontinued? Is this true?

Rumour has it, yes. But then I heard they were only cutting the 50ml bottle from the line, and keeping the 100ml. If a definitive answer comes, my people will tell me and I'll pass on the message.

hinoki by monocle x cdg

125. kinda expensive.

any thoughts?

Too much. Get Avignon instead.