Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

As for the Russian Caravan tea, and Mr. Hulot's Holiday, I wasn't blown away by these perfumes...the "ater based" scents are intriguing no doubt, but when you really break them down, you start to smell some really exquisite scents like "Pledge" or "Mr. Clean"

The Tea and Rose seemed particularly silly, as it smells literally like rose tea...I'm pretty sure I could brew you that perfume in 5 minutes.

Some of the CB scents were definitely a lot soapier smelling than I expected but I wouldn't go so far as to say they smelled like Pledge and Mr. Clean.

I got that cologne too, just last week. For some reason it reminds me of eggnog, but it's not too sharp like the other scents focusing on spices like nutmeg or cinnamon. Very lovely stuff.

My plan is to buy half a dozen samples or so, because I could NEVER justify spending that much on a single bottle.

depends how old you are..

If you are over 20, I'd consider Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma. You can get it at Ogilvy..

Or just go straight for any summer scent Creed like GIT (Green Irish Tweed), Silver Mountain Water or Virgin Island Water..

Younger than 20 ? Any cheap ones will do.. Cologne by Mugler comes to my mind..

That's it..

They did, however have a tester of the new CDG...I haven't checked this thread lately, but i went back 5 pages and didn't read anything about it (god there's a lot of knowledge in this thread)...I loved it, about a hair away from picking it up, but it's a fairly expensive bottle (I bought jeans instead haha...). Gold 888 is fantastic, it's really fresh but spicy at the same time...not sure what the notes are, although I think there's a synthetic Saffron in there.

I heard that 8 88 is a limited launch and CDG doesn't produce it anymore.

Not to despair; CDG has a new series coming out called Series 8: Energy C

http://dianepernet.typepad.com/diane/images/2008/04/07/nenergy_cpr.jpg

from Diane Pernet's blog, A Shaded View on Fashion.

I heard that 8 88 is a limited launch and CDG doesn't produce it anymore.

Not to despair; CDG has a new series coming out called Series 8: Energy C

http://dianepernet.typepad.com/diane/images/2008/04/07/nenergy_cpr.jpg

from Diane Pernet's blog, A Shaded View on Fashion.

It was initally released in a "limited time only" sorta deal, but was always going to be put into full production later on (as far as I know).

depends how old you are..

If you are over 20, I'd consider Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma. You can get it at Ogilvy..

Or just go straight for any summer scent Creed like GIT (Green Irish Tweed), Silver Mountain Water or Virgin Island Water..

Younger than 20 ? Any cheap ones will do.. Cologne by Mugler comes to my mind..

That's it..

So close to neg rep...but redeemed by the mugler rec.

So I got the chance to smell the 3 Dior Homme versions (EDT, Intense, & Cologne).

I always liked the opening of the regular edt, but found everything after too sweet and cloying. To me, the sweet part was emphasized even more in the Intense (which is a limited edition btw). The Cologne was perfection to me...it keeps the iris, adds some citrus top notes and has a bit of emphasis placed on the wood elements, which seem to temper the sweetness.

Most of the other comments I came across online seem to have it the other way around...favouring the Intense and hating the Cologne, but as usual, I don't agree.

Speaking of "intense", Guerlain's L'Instant Pour Homme has an Intense version now, which is superior to the original imo. God bless the Duty Free. :)

Does anyone have any good CB I Hate Perfume recommendations? Particularly something light that would work well during summer heat.

I've tried "Just Breathe", "Mr. Hulot's Holiday", "Eternal Return" and they do indeed smell a bit like handsoap... No thank you.

However, I did enjoy "Burning Leaves" "In the Library" and "Russian Caravan Tea".

What's some of their best scents that they offer (regardless of season)? Thanks.

wtf they have a Mr. HULOT scent??? wtf??? that's very cool...

And as for black march... man that's alot of green, but I've really grown to like it after a week or so of killing my sample.

i think regular price for 5ml is $10, so if you buy bulk it's $9. it is fucking confusing.

You are correct.

Remember that buying decants is only really worth it if you already know and like the scent, but don't want a full bottle. I'd stick with 1ml or 1.5ml vials or sprays, then go for the larger decants if you likey....otherwise you overpaid and are stuck with a bottle of something you don't even like.

I usually order the smallest size available, and get as many as I can.

Flanker is the term given in the perfume world for the pre-existing, but slightly tweaked releases that the big companies put out (CK One Summer, Dior Homme Intense, etc.)

The reason why I post SO much in this thread (sorry about that) is because all the members of perfume boards have pre-existing notions of what should, and shouldn't be. Flankers are often on the top of that list.

Its often believed that a flanker is "ruining an original artwork", etc. In reality, its both a cash grab for the company (no big advertising $$$ is spent when everyone already knows the name), and often an improvement on an existing formula.

Sometimes the perfume snobs are right, the flankers are only a cash-grab and shouldn't have been released, but failing to test them could mean you're missing out on something great.

Case in point - Dior Homme Cologne, Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir, Bvlgari Eau Parfumee au The Extreme, Hermes' Eau d'Orange Verte Douce, Mugler's Angel Men Pure Coffee, Guerlain's L'Instant Extreme, etc. etc.

Some failures - Dior's Eau Sauvage Extreme, Arome D'Orange Verte, all of the Allure flankers, Fahrenheit 0 Degrees, etc. etc.

Haha, I guess I misread (although that description is kind of confusing/misleading).

That whole website is very confusing and poorly laid-out. I think they know that 99% of their customers are familiar with the whole sample/decant concept, so they don't bother to explain or properly describe things.

Did you buy the $12 2ml bottle directly from CB, or did you get it from somewhere else?

$12 seems steep for a sample.

I went with the five sample pack for of 1.5 ml vials for $25 for the reasons that gimmegimme said.

I'd stick with 1ml or 1.5ml vials or sprays, then go for the larger decants if you likey....otherwise you overpaid and are stuck with a bottle of something you don't even like.

^ I think that's a good plan. I dislike 90% of the samples I receive (or at the very best, like, but would have no intention of buying a full bottle), so there's no point in wasting money & space on larger decants.

If I happen to luck out and love one of them, I'd be ordering a full bottle anyway.