coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

Heads up sufu coffee geeks in the OC area, this new place called Portola Coffee Lab just opened up. Stopped by recently and I have to say this place is a must for any serious coffee head. They serve Hario drip coffee, Siphon/Vacuum filter coffee, 2 types of cold-brew, Bunn Trifecta coffee, and of course legit espresso. Best coffee in the OC area hands down.

I also recommend their coffee beans. Everything is freshly roasted in house and the selection is pretty good.

http://portolacoffeelab.com/

Any Ann Arbor people here?

Comet Coffee's probably the "best" we have, granted coffee from other shops is fine..there's a place called lab that's decent.

yessss ive only been here for two weeks and im a tad obsessed with their coffee. other places within walking distance from the university has been unimpressive so far..

are there any good places to shop and eat around here!

Give me your aeropress techniques.

I'm doing an inverted 30 second french press > standard aeropress filter.

It seems to have best of both techniques.

I'm also curious in pour-over methods, anybody have experience?

drinking good black coffee in the morning makes my days better/makes me feel better.

and help me to take a dump.

There is a serious problem with this. After years of doing this your life will be ruined once you stop drinking coffee or if you skip a few days.

Give me your aeropress techniques.

I'm doing an inverted 30 second french press > standard aeropress filter.

It seems to have best of both techniques.

I'm also curious in pour-over methods, anybody have experience?

I use Chemex and V60, both are a pain in the ass but are rewarding when done well. I suggest getting the Scott Rao book "Everything but Espresso", definitely helped me step my pourover game up. I also just bought a Kalita from Wrecking Ball a couple weeks ago, waiting for their Kenya to be roasted until it's shipped to me though. I'll report back on that after I've tested it out.

I would pick up one of the above as an alternative to your aeropress... they provide nicer flavor clarity and a lighter body.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out these cold coffee drinks:

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/07/cold-brewed-coffee-we-try-five-cool-coffee-methods-blue-bottle-grumpy-kickstand-filtron.html

I wish there was a place to buy the Stubby bottles in SF.

If anyone in the NE has yet to make it out to Barismo in MA, you owe it to yourself to. One of the best shops I've been in. Awesome manual pourovers with a huge focus on technique, and fantastic epresso drinks as well.

Also people in town are down to wait Intelli length lines for their coffee, very impressive local reception for a shop in a Boston suburb.

there is a depressing dearth of decent coffee around my office. Toronto is probably comparable to williamsburg for specialty-coffee-shops-per-square-mile, but the harbourfront is limited to starbucks and tim hortons.

I am currently drinking a $1 coffee from a diner next door :(

sucks clopek :( i've been working at a convenience store this summer, and we serve green mountain coffee. when i brew the coffee, the grounds barely smell like coffee and they all taste like shit. they have ridiculous flavors like dark raspberry truffle, or southern caramel pecan or some shit like that, it's nasty. i usually end up just drinking the decaf in the morning and wait until i get home to enjoy a more legitimate cup of coffee.

anybody have any experience with intelligentsia blends? i have nowhere to get good beans around me (CT) and i need some beans, and most of the single origin stuff i've found is way too expensive (i.e. stumptown, ecco cafe, intelligentsia, etc etc.

You can buy Stumptown in CT, a less expensive but still amazing option is New Harvest out of RI. They have awesome micro lot single origins and are fantastic people. Depending on what part of CT you're in, Barismo is close too.

If you don't want to order online I think New Harvest is sold at Whole Foods, and there are Stumptown accounts in West Hartford and Darien...just look at roast date before you buy.

sucks clopek :( i've been working at a convenience store this summer, and we serve green mountain coffee. when i brew the coffee, the grounds barely smell like coffee and they all taste like shit. they have ridiculous flavors like dark raspberry truffle, or southern caramel pecan or some shit like that, it's nasty. i usually end up just drinking the decaf in the morning and wait until i get home to enjoy a more legitimate cup of coffee.

anybody have any experience with intelligentsia blends? i have nowhere to get good beans around me (CT) and i need some beans, and most of the single origin stuff i've found is way too expensive (i.e. stumptown, ecco cafe, intelligentsia, etc etc.

i remember back in college when the cafeteria switched to green mountain, and we all thought that was so gourmet shit back then....lol