Making Jeans - Boredems a burden. w/ pics

roundhouse

The manly act of making jeans.

Decided not to be a lazy board member and post. A few days i go i completed a pair of jeans, i knew next to nothing about sewing and zero about pattern making. i purchased the selvedge denim off "someone" who clearly has just about as much free time as me haha.

i have never made any pieces of clothing before so i kinda looked at a lot of pictures on the internet, notably dior jeans and ande whalls(who makes it look as easy as eating cake) pictorial which i learnt heaps from. i kinda based my cut around slim jims, dh21cm and 501's.

Overall i think i did an 'ok' job, not professional craftsmanship. some very minor glitchs and mistakes. it doesnt look too home made. my advice is be very very patient and carefull if your going to make a pair.

has 6 pockets button fly and is selvedge denim. a very standard jean minor pleather detailing and no pocket stitching

pics:

427966932_ff9793a4df.jpg

427966936_cac5d65ab1.jpg

427966942_1e8aff541e.jpg

heres this developement collage (i used picasa image editing program)

427966945_77332b2531.jpg

427968742_0977f81afd.jpg427966953_09512d445b.jpg

ipod pocket in a pocket

427968744_afe572be02_m.jpg427966947_d71c6b516b.jpg

the fitting: id wanted a slender but loose fit, i was quite lucky it turned out how i wanted. i sort of based the back part pattern on slimjims and the front on diors.

427968738_0ece4d9f05.jpg

the denim is really stiff, i think its made in china so its not the best loomed stuff. not really expecting it to fade very nicely, ive been wearing for about 24 hours and the creases havnt settled in properly.

so there you go....

ps. loading/edting images sucks

and props to tg. and ande whall who does this stuff professionally, his jeans are worth every cent, if it wasnt for your pictorial i would be in a jean making limbo.

made the patterns by just tracing and cutting mostly guess work. kinda just looked at a ot of pictures and guessed 'this' would be smaller than that and 'that' would be bigger than this. cant be stuffed going to the fabric store to find rivets

highstreet- im using some juki and the loops (meaning belt loops?) are just pretty simple, cut out long strip about 3cmX10cm then sew then cut

That's what Im talking about ! those look good - I always liked raw denim + black/navy stitching . The black pleather accents go very well and the backside " built in slouch rise " looks great as well

Top notch Mr. Roundhouse! Its great to see some of you guys having a crack at making jeans, it brings warmth to me soul, haha. Its not easy making your first pair and all you guys have really impressed with your 'just give it a go attitude'. Hats off to you all and keep em' coming!!

haha ^

questions regarding making more - yeah i think ill do some more projects, mainly for my self. still kinda self learning to step up my quality. dont think ill ever make a full scale thing where i can sell to others, but its a good idea.

ordo- hmm sewing prob around 4-6 hours with breaks in between. but the pattern making which was tedious took a couple shots, i think ive made 3 different patterns? still dont know how the patterns fully work. all i know is that the crotch part has to be 90degress so it doesnt cause a wedgie (ande said this somewhere) other than that i dont know any other rules about pattern making