what are you eating today?

soepom

Yakitori Taisho on St. Marks. Opens at 6pm everday. Suggest you getting there early and try the chicken skins/scallions.

i don't think taisho is great.

i dunno of other yakitori places

(i do hear aburiya kinnosuke or whatever is good)

but taisho's yakitori's sub-par...

what do you think miz, chicken?

herp, i think taisho's got the atmosphere. but if you want good yakitori (real sumiyaki stuff) then i'd recommend totto in midtown.

not that i've eaten everywhere, but the best yakitori i've had in the states so far is in dallas of all places. a place called teppo.

2178054910_3543818b42_o.jpg

earl grey ice cream with raspberry jelly and milk chocolate shards

how much does something like that cost if u got it from a resto/cafe ?

the singapore episode was awesome. singapore looks like it's a country made up of the best parts of every asian country. makes me want to go.

Seriously after watching that eps I'm totally planning a trip there this summer and just fucking pig out.

mr. smartman i like your style, fried egg on everything...

herpsky i agree. taisho is not that great. conveniently located. good ambience, but the flavor is lacking. Chicken's suggestion of Yakitori Totto on 55th is spot on. Best I've had in NY by far.

as far as NO RESERVATIONS, sometimes I feel Anthony Bourdain sucks up to his hosts too much esp. in the azn episodes, but that sg season premiere really made me want to visit singapore/penang. Maybe i'll goto Nyonya and get my chicken rice on today.

herp, i think taisho's got the atmosphere. but if you want good yakitori (real sumiyaki stuff) then i'd recommend totto in midtown.

not that i've eaten everywhere, but the best yakitori i've had in the states so far is in dallas of all places. a place called teppo.

in addition to totto i recommend torys (owned by same restaurant group) and tori shin (1st ave btwn 64th and 65th). i had only known about totto and torys but a reporter who interviewed me from the nikkei recommended it. top notch.

^ yes, kit is god. (p/s keep the vibskov lah. nice leh)

dinner on 6th Jan at Br**ks (doubt i'm returning to the place)

wayet0106abu9.jpg

fish and chips. fairly generous portion, and looks okay. but tastes pretty blah.

wayet0106bxr2.jpg

the description was brownie topped with cheese sauce, so i had to try it. it was surprisingly palatable. but i wouldn't pay to eat it again.

singapore is also home to too many restaurants/cafes like this one. belonging to that uncomfortable range of eateries that's between fast food and bistro food. and achieving neither the sinful artificial processed goodness of the former, nor the quality and simplicity/subtleties of the latter.

dinner on 7th Jan at a new workplace:

wayet0108wf7.jpg

burger. twas pretty tasty. and fairly cheap for what it is (not that i had to pay for it) and the beer was cheap too! damn. pity the gig is only for this month. double damn that this is a members-only club so i can't be poppin' back for a cheap beer and a bite either.

in addition to totto i recommend torys (owned by same restaurant group) and tori shin (1st ave btwn 64th and 65th). i had only known about totto and torys but a reporter who interviewed me from the nikkei recommended it. top notch.

I just went to Soba Totto last nite, they have yakitori in addition to the soba, though not as good as Torys or Totto, maybe they have a few kinks to work out. But they have a waiting room/bar with a bar menu. Which is better than waiting in the hallway at totto/torys