what are you eating today?

soepom

That's pretty cool hey. The only home made ice cream I've had are the ones they teach you in chemistry...and joe's cos he has his own churning machine.

I took this photo awhile ago and just uploaded today. Made me hungry so during break I stopped by beard papa.

2192822897_6c8c719ec5.jpg

Thanks. My roommate got me an ice cream maker for Christmas (I have a giant sweet tooth) so we've been playing around with different recipes each night.

What are those pastries you posted? They look delicious.

Thanks. My roommate got me an ice cream maker for Christmas (I have a giant sweet tooth) so we've been playing around with different recipes each night.

What are those pastries you posted? They look delicious.

hhahaa whats the craziest flavor you've mixed so far?

those pastries are beard papa's version of an éclair :)

So far nothing crazy. We made some mint ice cream with crushed mint candies in it, as well as some straight chocolate, but we've only really had it a few days, plus the ice cream technically takes about two days to make.

My roommate has some great plans for spiced pear, but he can't find pear preserves anywhere.

Myself, I want to make some bacon ice cream. It's a flavor combination I've had in my head for awhile and honestly I think it'll be great, but I can't decide if I should just mix in bacon pieces or somehow use bacon flat to imbue the mixture with some of the ice cream flavor...

I also want to do something with marshmallows and almonds and chocolate ice cream, because I've always loved Rocky Road, but I'm not sure the best way to mix in the marshmallows.

Peanut butter's another one I really wanna try but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

If you have any flavoring/mix-in suggestions I'd be open to them. My roommate is the creative cuisine guy, I'm just the one with the sweet tooth.

Guest sousvide
So far nothing crazy. We made some mint ice cream with crushed mint candies in it, as well as some straight chocolate, but we've only really had it a few days, plus the ice cream technically takes about two days to make.

My roommate has some great plans for spiced pear, but he can't find pear preserves anywhere.

Myself, I want to make some bacon ice cream. It's a flavor combination I've had in my head for awhile and honestly I think it'll be great, but I can't decide if I should just mix in bacon pieces or somehow use bacon flat to imbue the mixture with some of the ice cream flavor...

I also want to do something with marshmallows and almonds and chocolate ice cream, because I've always loved Rocky Road, but I'm not sure the best way to mix in the marshmallows.

Peanut butter's another one I really wanna try but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

If you have any flavoring/mix-in suggestions I'd be open to them. My roommate is the creative cuisine guy, I'm just the one with the sweet tooth.

For the bacon ice cream, i would say make your creme anglaise and in a seperate pan cook the bacon to your desired doneness, and then dry the bacon with paper towel. And while the bacon and anglaise are still hot mix them together and let them infuse for an hour or so, then strain out the bacon and then add to the ice cream machine.

But on second thought, the creme anglaise is usually made up of yolks+sugar and hot milk or cream. You could render a bunch of bacon fat and mix that into the yolks and sugar and emulsify them together then add the hot milk. Damn I wish I had an ice cream maker, cause I want to experiment. At my work we make a cinnamon bun ice cream. Which tastes like actual cinnamon buns, I'm amazed how we get the dough flavour in the ice cream.

Live your dreams vicariously through me!

We've tried the creme anglaise two ways, one with yolks, sugar, half and half, and whipping cream, and the other is the same thing, sans-yolks and with different dairy proportions (can't remember off the top of my head).

I guess the former is New York style, and the latter is Philadelphia style?

I think I might try the bacon fat route tomorrow, since I have the day off of school and work.

How do you get the flavor for the cinnamon bun ice cream?

Thought people would appreciate this appreciate this.. I was gonna start a recipe/cooking thread but I figured I'd just post it here...

757597437_69c5df8e6f.jpg

Momofuku Pork Bun recipe courtesty of David Chang and Martha Stewart

Totally making a batch this weekend. Surprisingly really simple. NYCers should know how amazing these are. Peep the video for step by step instructions

^^ those are pretty much the best things ever. i could rip through 10 if i had the determination.

Man David said in the vid a slab of pork belly can make about 40-50 of them (since each bun gets about two small slices)! Gonna see how much I can down this weekend. Best part is I can use leftover pork for ramen and luxe viet sandwhiches.

i really want to try that momofuku pork bun. ive read about the david chang a lot and its amazing how his restaurants have become a success. i guess his food is a korean/japanese fusion. i mean pork belly is one of the most popular meat in korea and i never really thought about eating it in a bun but it sure does look good.

Thought people would appreciate this appreciate this.. I was gonna start a recipe/cooking thread but I figured I'd just post it here...

757597437_69c5df8e6f.jpg

Momofuku Pork Bun recipe courtesty of David Chang and Martha Stewart

Totally making a batch this weekend. Surprisingly really simple. NYCers should know how amazing these are. Peep the video for step by step instructions

My wife didnt like them as much as I did, since she grew up eating the Nagasaki Manju's these are based on.

From looking at the pics, it looks like the recipe has changed, because the pork was carmelized and really crispy when I first had them, these look braised

damn i wanna try white castle burgers. never had the chance to try those damn things.

Probably gonna get lynched for this but..

When I moved here I was so excited to try them, and found they mostly taste the same (if not, worse) than the frozen ones you can get at the supermarket. But that's just me.

^ fine work, good sir.

the best part about those things is that they practically come pre-digested. it's like adult baby food but without the nutrients.

ps - i haven't had white castle in at least a year, i gotta check to see if there are in brooklyn in areas that won't result in me getting mugged.