what are you eating today?

soepom

small lunch at din tai fung in beijing. not too different from the one in arcadia as far as i'm concerned because, to be honest, i'm not very into xiao long bao.

101.jpg

hot and sour soup was nice since i'm starting to get a cold

102.jpg

103.jpg

i was on my own for dinner :( late for the mcdonalds discussion but it's the crispy chicken fillet. very different from the crispy chicken in the us.

104.jpg

somebody's improvising with chopsticks. :D

haha chicken can you believe somebody can read and write in chinese, live in china, but not be able to use chopsticks correctly? whatever it takes to get by i guess. bizarre but i think it's kind of cute.

but yeah i always try to hit up mcdonalds in asia for red and green bean pies

DSC00210.jpg

"dan dan noodles" with minced chicken, and cucumbers and sprouts

I could almost swear that that is Zhajang mian (jajang myeong for koreans-but that's a whole other story) and not dandan mian... looks the same, doesn't it?

isnt it obligatory, even in regional differences, for dan dan noodles to have a peanut or sesame sauce? flat out whack.

p.s. in LA markets we just call those bean sprouts, though a quick google search does show that some places do call it mung bean sprouts. mung mustve been a canto addition into the name.

102.jpg

the only funny thing about this pic is the presentation.

for the price that you have to pay for din tai fung in china (versus some hole in the wall) you had better have had a fuckin pickled cucumber pyramid going on in the picture.

if you think about it in terms of money for chinese people, it's pretty crazy. i just stopped bargaining in general when i realized that i was just taking off like 10-20元 just meant taking off $1-3 for me. Actually, for them, it's a lot, which is why them stacking the cucumbers for you is so impressive (7).

and im noticing a trend in these pics that it's popular in asian countries to stuff lots of ingredients into the bottom of hot drinks as garnish.

if you think about it in terms of money for chinese people, it's pretty crazy. i just stopped bargaining in general when i realized that i was just taking off like 10-20元 just meant taking off $1-3 for me. Actually, for them, it's a lot, which is why them stacking the cucumbers for you is so impressive (7).

Azn8oi I'm well aware of the poverty in China. I spent my last summer volunteering with hospitals, children's schools, disabled clinics, and orphanages in Xinning and Lhasa. I've spent a lot of time with the families of students and hospital workers and I know how much 15-20 RMB can mean to them.

However, you have to be fucking kidding me if you're going to give me shit for having some cucumbers with the rest of my meal at Din Tai Fung. And it's not like if I spend money at a restaurant instead of a hole in the wall the money is disappearing. This is Superfuture when did we ever care so much about money?

Thanks for being such a saint by not haggling (I don't bother either), maybe next time you should get some plain jane Levi's and donate your $200-300 to http://www.braillewithoutborders.org/ instead of throwing it down on a pair of sufu approved denim. Otherwise, keep your holier than thou bullshit to yourself.

Azn8oi I'm well aware of the poverty in China. I spent my last summer volunteering with hospitals, children's schools, disabled clinics, and orphanages in Xinning and Lhasa. I've spent a lot of time with the families of students and hospital workers and I know how much 15-20 RMB can mean to them.

However, you have to be fucking kidding me if you're going to give me shit for having some cucumbers with the rest of my meal at Din Tai Fung. And it's not like if I spend money at a restaurant instead of a hole in the wall the money is disappearing. This is Superfuture when did we ever care so much about money?

Thanks for being such a saint by not haggling (I don't bother either), maybe next time you should get some plain jane Levi's and donate your $200-300 to http://www.braillewithoutborders.org/ instead of throwing it down on a pair of sufu approved denim. Otherwise, keep your holier than thou bullshit to yourself.

OH SNAP:eek:

Guest sousvide

I am looking forward to seeing everyone's xmas eve and day food photos. I will post mine, but even though there's two chefs in my family, my mom still wont let us cook any food on the holidays.

Chicken, I'm in 626 near Pasadena. Gets sort of boring here sometimes though, so it's always a treat to head out towards LA.

KING, I've been told (and I believe it now) that Totoraku serves some of the best beef in the entire country. Whether or not those claims are influenced by the hype surrounding it is a different story, of course!

Edit - But regarding how good the beef looks, I would say the marbling in those slices alone is statement enough, no?