what are you eating today?

soepom

haven't been able to eat that much today cause my wisdom teeth started actually coming in last night! they don't hurt but they make it hard to chew cause my gums are so sensitive to them erupting...

im heating up some leftovers. will post pictures. chicken cacciatori.

2097408055_9c0ced4dbf_o.jpg

fish, squid rings and lots of chips

2097404873_11a763a792_o.jpg

grilled chicken with vermicelli

curious as to how many dollars worth of chips that is? When I was growing up that might've been like a 5 dollar order, what is the 2007 price?

and what would you call that chicken on noodles dish if you went into a viet restaurant? Looks nice. I'm iced in and can barely make it out my driveway but am craving viet food so badly now.

i sometimes find myself wandering into a mcD when I'm in a new place, just to compare the different prices, and what is unique to the local menu. it's like a common denominator. i guage the cost of living based on the price of an extra value meal.

I think McDonald's pricing is relatively the same wherever you'd go in the world... I haven't been in a long while but I'm thinking the equivalent of something like US$5 or thereabouts for a meal that contains some portion of beef, anywhere you'd go.

I think in some locales (like China, etc) you could probably feed a family on local food for $5, no? McDonald's outside of the US usually import everything from the potatoes to the condiments from the US, and beef from Australia for non-American stores, so pricing stays relatively similar...

Nowadays in America though, a diner meal is creeping past $10 per, and a sit-down meal at a proper restaurant is going to cost you at least $15 a head if you only get one dish and drink water... going to McDonald's over here is for when you're in pretty dire straights, I'd say.

McDonald's struggles in Korea because Koreans have an aversion to Western food I suppose. It's not the fast food aspect as a lot of Korean food is often times faster to come out and more quickly eaten than a Big Mac meal, but Koreans will see the occasional TV report with a 300 lb white woman eating a cheeseburger and be turned off. Koreans will usually go there and feed their kids or buy the 50-cent softserve ice cream, but that's about it.

Service in Korean McDonald's is terrible, it's on par with the McDonald's I've had the privilege of going to on Prospect Street in Kansas City, where I opened the car door and had to longjump over a puddle of blood in the parking lot and the workers had me wait like 5 minutes for a bottle of water because they were all on their hands-frees. The food over there usually comes out okay though, and looks like something actually resembling the photos on the menu, but they usually put 5 young girls on the register who bump into each other trying to fill Cokes, and have one older, oft-times mentally retarded person in the back making all the orders from the time they flash up on the screen so it takes about 5-10 minutes to get anything. It's a sight to behold.

side note:

european mcdonalds just can't compete w/ the US when it comes to breakfast.

i've had breakfast at mcdonalds in amsterdam and hamburg, both were disgusting. the egg mcmuffin there needs plenty of work. the muffin is soggy, the egg looks like it wsa microwaved, and they use a really limp, bitter bacon instead of the good ol' canadian stuff. it's pricey too. in amsterdam, 6 Euro gets you an egg mcmuffin, a cup of coffee, a small bottle of OJ and a croissant. that's about 9 USD, which can almost buy you 3 breakfast extra value meals in the US.

on a site note:

how the fuck did you end up eating MCD in Hamburg and Amsterdam for breakfast?

German breakfast is sooo good...

lame train stations/airports.

Is there a traditional German breakfast that I should've kept my eyes open for? I mostly ate my Hamburg breakfasts in convention centers, which is never a good thing... If I was lucky, I snuck out for a pastry (which were pretty tasty).

I had dinner one night at this German potato hall which was phenomel. Every item on the menu featured potatoes, whether baked, cubed/fried, mashed, pancaked, etc.

dismalfuture: i've checked out mcdonalds across several countries and the prices vary fairly drastically. eg. it's cheaper in bangkok than in singapore which is cheaper than in stockholm.

lunch at home today:

wayet1210agg1.jpg

crayfish spaghetti, with my mum's new experiment momo-tomato (tomato made to resemble a peach, chilled, and drizzled with a dressing made from 7 different sauces)

dinner at work:

wayet1210bvt4.jpg

foie gras with quince paste on rocket salad (latest discovery on the menu i thought i could memorise. i am so going to spend my food allowance on this again)

wayet1210cts9.jpg

oosh mini beef burgers

wayet1210djp5.jpg

bbq porkribs with potato wedges

lame train stations/airports.

Is there a traditional German breakfast that I should've kept my eyes open for? I mostly ate my Hamburg breakfasts in convention centers, which is never a good thing... If I was lucky, I snuck out for a pastry (which were pretty tasty).

I had dinner one night at this German potato hall which was phenomel. Every item on the menu featured potatoes, whether baked, cubed/fried, mashed, pancaked, etc.

aaah i see you were here on buisness...

shit man you missed so much good food.

in germany everything is about bread and other stuff from the bakery for breakfast

next time you'll pay us a visit pm me...

whizkit you're in aussieland! how long are you here and where abouts will you be visiting?

shit man you missed so much good food.

in germany everything is about bread and other stuff from the bakery for breakfast

next time you'll pay us a visit pm me...

tell me more Felix! there's this great German bakery in the CBD i've been frequenting called Luneburger. absolutely fantastic bread! been loving the rusticales bauernbrot and the bauernbrotchen.

haven't been able to eat that much today cause my wisdom teeth started actually coming in last night! they don't hurt but they make it hard to chew cause my gums are so sensitive to them erupting...

im heating up some leftovers. will post pictures. chicken cacciatori.

forgot pics. oops day old food pics (leftovers to make it worse) !!!!

before:

DSC_0188.jpg

after:

DSC_0189.jpg

Guest sousvide

I'm new to the forum, so I thought I'd upload a few pics from the last couple months.

Here's a little sandwhich I made this august, these tomatoes were from my garden, and the micro greens i bought at a farmer's market. And the avacado is from mexico or gaum or someshit.

dsc01209kw1.jpg

Here's some foie gras I seared this summer, I served it with fresh peaches poached in icewine and butter lettuce salad, then I took the juices from the foie gras pan and mixed it with the icewine syrup, and made a little emulsion for a dressing.

dsc01215ll7.jpg

whizkit you're in aussieland! how long are you here and where abouts will you be visiting?

I'm in perth for a few days visiting some relatives and a friend. Back to lahland tmr.

today

lunch

2102694215_148c23c4fb_o.jpg

avocado, spring onion, dill, feta and other green things on sourdough

2102694415_1f265d6888_o.jpg

cafe latte

between lunch and dinner

2102694645_1abb9d95db_o.jpg

honey wheat brew

dinner

2102694839_e6d70c7e95_o.jpg

snow crab fried in salted duck's egg yolk

2103474796_ee9be2eb31_o.jpg

steamed cod, chinese style butter chicken, sweet-sour pork

2102695187_1654c03163_o.jpg

more stuff

2103542992_989c54ca60_o.jpg

even more stuff

dessert

2103475178_a2e54aa8ca_o.jpg

waffle tuesday

whizkit - that open face sandwich with avocado looks damn good! smuggle one back for me in your suitcase!

are these on soft pretzel buns? They look fantastic...

they called them lagun buns...and yes, they're good. i almost like the bread more than the patty!

really wanna rep you soepom('s mum), but can't :(

just rep me. i'll convert into a verbal praise and pass it on to her.

lunch at home:

wayet1211alm6.jpg

my favourite dish was the steamed egg custard. just the right consistency and so so smoooooth.

a bite at work:

wayet1211bqu7.jpg

was doing a gig tonight and they happened to have an extra portion of this which wasn't served to the guests - lobsterrrrrrrrr

real food (and music) at the jazz bar:

wayet1211cqe2.jpg

oxtail stew and beer

Some homemade things this weekend: Excuse the picture quality.

Lunch:

IMG_0618.jpg

Sammich with:

Whole Grain Wheat

Pastrami

Spinach

Mayo

Muenster Cheese

Avocado

alfalfa sprouts

this sandwich is perfect.