late lunch.

IMG_1537.jpg

nachos!

IMG_1541.jpg

beer!

and

IMG_1536.jpg

ketchup chicken

as tweedles rightly pointed out - it's no wonder i loved it as a kid. the use of ketchup instead of tomato paste makes the flavour rather...corny. and so, endearing.

totally agree. so many things you can do with ketchup. like fried rice.

and dinner

IMG_1543.jpg

home-made ramen

IMG_1544.jpg

i just had some chasu-ramen, at this spot, kumako, in the japantown area of san jose, never been there before. i liked it, pretty good and the staff was really nice, id go back.

i had 2 cans of pringles (light!) and a quart of sorbet. this thread makes me want to punch myself.

did you have any problems while eating pringles light? mom bought some at the grocery store and i ate a couple and couldn't take it any longer. something about light chips makes your saliva very very thick and its weird. same goes for lay's light chips also. i think its that olevia oil or whatever it is that makes it weird.

^ tang yuan looks good - what stuffing?

reunion dinner this year was held at my aunt's place. everything you are about to see was prepared by her (except for my mum's suckling pig contribution). i can only hope, that the cooking gene runs in the family. actually, i hope they will be in fabulous health till a ripe old age...

warming up with home-baked festive goodies:

wayet0206bop4.jpg

wayet0206dpk7.jpg

tossing of the raw fish salad (yusheng)

wayet0206csw3.jpg

super duper crispy roast suckling pig with sweet sauce - you can hear the loud crunch of the skin even as it's being cut. sooooo gooooood.

wayet0206ezh5.jpg

braised pork ribs with pine nuts - sweet, salty and very very tender

wayet0206fna5.jpg

abalone with fishmaw meatballs and fa cai

wayet0206hyn0.jpg

interesting dish which requires skillful preparation - chicken skin stuffed with cuttlefish and seafood paste, deep fried with seaweed. Served with plum sauce. The chicken skin is light and crispy, and the paste becomes very fluffy and springy. Your teeth sink into a very surprising texture.

wayet0206gle8.jpg

steamed fish. again, carefully deboned and cooking time was perfect.

wayet0206ipb3.jpg

scallops, mushrooms and...mushrooms

wayet0206jqz7.jpg

grilled prawns - can't really tell from the pic, but prawns were bigass. and i mean, BIG.

wayet0206kic3.jpg

crispy lobster noodles. mmm...crispy...oooh lobster!

i noticed years back (and was reminded of this at a chinese new years street party) that alota chinese use ancient rice cookers for nabe/hotpot, or boiling/steam cooking.

it's pretty smart. who thought of this? i mean, they used a foreign made device in a way that it wasn't realy intended for... and shit works.

i will probably never do this (cause i don't have to), but i am genuinely curious as to how this is done. obviously the water will come to a boil, but is shit just kinda winged? there is no way to gauge the temp. does and how does the water temp fluxuate? anyway you guys might not know, cause you don't appear to impoverished like the ones i seen in various chinatowns.

what i remember from science classes....boiling water and steam happen at the same temperture (like 210 degrees or something like that) and I'm sure steam cooking like anything else comes with mostly experience and trial and error. it is also harder to burn or over cook something if you use steam i.e. steam tables in restaurants and buffets so better to let something sit in a steamer longer than to take it out too soon.......

the old rice cookers just keep boiling, there's no temp fluctuation. they'll turn off after a certain time which is always constant, at which point i assume they just turn it back on and add more water. new rice cookers haven't really changed much since, boiling times can be adjusted (for congee etc) and come with added functions (official steaming compartments instead of little metal prongs).

anyway i still prefer using my 10 yr old piece of shit cooker compared to new ones. though the water marks have rubbed off and i have to use my palm to guage water.

anyway i still prefer using my 10 yr old piece of shit cooker compared to new ones. though the water marks have rubbed off and i have to use my palm to guage water.

yep, i miss my rice cooker from college....the metal top used to shake when the rice was cooking and water was boiling

have a krups (or some round eye brand) rice cooker now........i feel much shame now.... must commit hare kare to save face........