what are you eating today?

soepom

we've been getting our stuff from nijiya on sawtelle because they're the closest and the quality's been pretty good. maybe we'll try mitsuwa's soon too. overall, my impression is that the quality of fresh fish, as well as an average sushi joint, is better on this coast than the other. what do you think?

we've been getting our stuff from nijiya on sawtelle because they're the closest and the quality's been pretty good. maybe we'll try mitsuwa's soon too. overall, my impression is that the quality of fresh fish, as well as an average sushi joint, is better on this coast than the other. what do you think?

The west coast has a shorter travel distance and time, especially for things like shima aji, kanpachi. Tuna is probably better on the east coast since it comes from Boston, Norway, Spain.

when you pick out the sashimi pick up the fish look at the fish away from the where they display it.they use special lights to make the fish look better kind of like a jewelry store.

damn, e0d9n0b5, your picture persuaded me to change from the filets i've been buying to a ribeye (more flavorful, perhaps?). nice work. can't rep.

thanks, the recipe is easy as toast too:

get a THICK ribeye, should be about $10, half is a good portion

coat both sides with kosher salt and black pepper (use a good amount of salt, and let it sit for at least 10 minutes so it begins to break down the protiens without drying it out too badly)

then cook on a cast iron pan that you've heated to 500degrees in the oven

30 seconds on each side, then 2 minutes on each side in the oven for perfect medium every time

you've got to stick it on a plate under a metal lid for 5-10 minutes before eating to seal in all the juicy steam too, its worth the wait. and put a burner on max for when you're doing the initial 30 seconds on each side to compensate for all the heat loss the pan will have. enjoy!

damn, im mexican and i can barely stand menudo. pozole on the other hand is a fine meal. hope you enjoyed it, cheers chicken!

ask and ye shall receive. i had some pozole today, with fresh tostadas.

dsc00012ju5.jpg

dsc00014qc3.jpg

basically pozole is the same thing as menudo, except instead of beef tripe pozole is made with pork rib meat, much better.

coat both sides with kosher salt and black pepper (use a good amount of salt, and let it sit for at least 10 minutes so it begins to break down the protiens without drying it out too badly)

30 seconds on each side, then 2 minutes on each side in the oven for perfect medium every time

you've got to stick it on a plate under a metal lid for 5-10 minutes before eating to seal in all the juicy steam too, its worth the wait. and put a burner on max for when you're doing the initial 30 seconds on each side to compensate for all the heat loss the pan will have. enjoy!

hey thanks for the tips! your instructions are great, although they require a pan that i don't own . . . maybe i'll consider an investment.

Man, 30 seconds on each side/2 mins in the oven is way too short for a proper steak, unless you're talking about a 1" thick one, which is like a morsel. 30 seconds on a real steak might put some brown on the edges but that is gonna be really raw.

I agree that you should heat your pan to 500 in the oven for awhile, then bring it out and get it going going on the range for a bit longer to keep it hot, but for a 2" thick+ steak, you gotta 1) age it (sit it uncovered in the bottom back of your fridge for a day or two and keep it cold), 2) bring it out and closer to room temp before cooking, and then 3) you will want to rub it with a light oil that has a high smoking point (read, not olive, more like canola or peanut) and coarse salt and pepper, but 2 minutes on each side for searing, then transfer something like 4 in the oven and then add a minute per added level of doneness. Bring that out of the oven then, then rest it for 10 minutes by putting it on a plate near the oven where it'll stay warm, but not over direct heat.

i need to learn how to cook a steak cause dad brought a packaged ribeye from this restaurant called alexander's in san jose and its pretty expensive steak but my ass doesn't know how to cook it so i just put it on a frying pan and just cooked it with butter for like 15 minutes and it was still gushing crap load of blood and was so raw so i just threw it in the microwave and let it nuke and wasted some damn good steak. im gonna try those different techniques posted above sometime this week.

but one question is, if you put the pan in the oven, doesn't the plastic handle part melt?

haha yeah i know i shouldn't be using the microwave but i was hungry and needed instant satisfaction.

and mojinho, after my last cookie attempt i have had nice female friends who are bored to bake cookies from scratch for me haha. its become a weekly thing now so i prefer eating those cookies than my rock hard crap.

Man, 30 seconds on each side/2 mins in the oven is way too short for a proper steak, unless you're talking about a 1" thick one, which is like a morsel. 30 seconds on a real steak might put some brown on the edges but that is gonna be really raw.

I agree that you should heat your pan to 500 in the oven for awhile, then bring it out and get it going going on the range for a bit longer to keep it hot, but for a 2" thick+ steak, you gotta 1) age it (sit it uncovered in the bottom back of your fridge for a day or two and keep it cold), 2) bring it out and closer to room temp before cooking, and then 3) you will want to rub it with a light oil that has a high smoking point (read, not olive, more like canola or peanut) and coarse salt and pepper, but 2 minutes on each side for searing, then transfer something like 4 in the oven and then add a minute per added level of doneness. Bring that out of the oven then, then rest it for 10 minutes by putting it on a plate near the oven where it'll stay warm, but not over direct heat.

Jesus that steak will be overcooked, dry, and covered in burnt oil. The only oil which can stand temperatures that high without becoming acrid(and thus VERY unhealthy to consume) is saffron oil, and thats only good for another five or so degrees. The cooking times I listed aren't approximate, or my own creation, they are tried and tested for SEARING (not cooking) a perfect MEDIUM steak, which is exactly what I've cooked every time I"ve used the recipe. If you follow my recipe to a T your steak will come at approx 70 degrees exterior and 52 degrees internal temp(according to my meat thermometer.)

EDIT: the steaks I've been using are all 1.5 to 2 inches thick, I don't know of any cuts that are larger than that. And i don't know if you misread, but my recipe calls for 30 seconds on each side on the stovetop, then 2 minutes on EACH SIDE in the oven at 500 deg.

Chrispy pork belly with beans and garlic and olive oil Mash

Belly of Pork, Olive oil, Salt and pepper, Cumin seeds and Thyme (leaves stripped)

Kings potatoes, cream, garlic (2 cloves), butter and olive oil

There was a sauce to go with it, I decided to pass on it as the pork had so much taste anyway and it was also very juicy. The sauce was olive oil, shallots (peeled and sliced), sherry vinegar, red wine and thyme.

forsale018-2.jpg

forsale020-1.jpg

PM for full recipe