what are you eating today?

soepom

we feed ya more durian.

ive always wanted to try durian, can you compare it to anything? i saw the youtube clip and the texture looked like ripe mango, but is the taste similar to anything you can think of.

as for today im eating, leftover meatloaf, in openfaced sandwich form

:) home made cookies

2234564967_da40199fd7.jpg

2234564971_502da7bb53.jpg

2234564977_6b6570ea7a.jpg

omg burgermeister burger... how on earth do you eat that? do you need a detachable jaw?!

Not me, my friend did. I wish I had a video camera on me...supposedly the new pearl's going to have video so :)

are the burgermister burgers good? i have not had em yet.

They make really good burgers; definitely would recommend but I wouldn't say the best I've had. I love that particular spot (its in daly city) cos they actually have delish cookies, and cheesecakes. Haven't tried the cheesecake cos both times I went the burger was so huge I had no room :P but if the cookies are any indicator...

are the burgermister burgers good? i have not had em yet.

Yeah they're good... I just can't stand the fucking name. There's an open outdoor mall place in Daly City (aka poor man's San Francisco) called Westlake that has a Burgermeister... it just fits right in with the corny locale.

No surprise: my parents love Burgermeister.

[

roasted pumpkin salad with snow peas, couscous and pita toasted with parmesan

couscous looks like it was used as a dressing. never seen that before.

sidro Don't knock Daly City mang, its home to both Ranch 99 (greatest supermarket ever) and Moonstar Buffet (way better than the one in the city).

22nd jan:

wayet0122auy0.jpg

mum bought the localised version of "western food" from a hawker stall. lamb chop. not bad at all.

wayet0122bcl3.jpg

fish and chips at work, fish fried with tiger beer batter. super tasty.

27th jan (gathering at a chalet)

wayet0127ady0.jpg

steamboat

wayet0127beq5.jpg

singaporean style bbq - satay and roasted sweet potatoes

wayet0127cwb6.jpg

peanut sauce and assorted condiments for the satay

28th jan (dinner at work)

wayet0128aav9.jpg

gindara teriyaki, shabu-shabu pork salad, clams in dark miso soup

wayet0128bdn6.jpg

rockefellar oysters baked with creamy cauliflower sauce

wayet0128cvq6.jpg

green shell mussels in creamy rose sauce

29th jan (dinner at work)

wayet0129xj7.jpg

bangers and mash

had a craving for a taste from my childhood - we used to have spaghetti napolitan at a japanese restaurant. it was my favourite pasta ever.

decided to try doing it myself.

wayet0201aoo2.jpg

wayet0201bck7.jpg

tasted pretty nice, but not quite the same as what i used to have. maybe it's because i missed out the capsicums. or maybe it's because i need to use japanese ketchup and their version of worcester sauce, instead of the western substitutes. must try again next time.

as tweedles rightly pointed out - it's no wonder i loved it as a kid. the use of ketchup instead of tomato paste makes the flavour rather...corny. and so, endearing.

CARNE ASADA FRIES FROM ALBERTACO'S! had it tues with some friends, had it again wednes with leatherseatbelt and drapygo, had it thurs with my gf and her friends, had it yesterday with my family, and had it this morning. holy crap it's soo good, it's a shame that i never had my camera throughout all those times

wow thats hella enoki mushrooms for the dao bbeen low. is that kani next to the fishballs or just regular fishcake?

yes it's kani/ the ubiquitous crab-stick. i used to love it cos it was so artificial. but i'm kinda off them now... maybe because they use it everywhere here, sometimes even in traditional dishes that didn't use to include them. so i feel they've become accomplices to the bastardisation of local dishes.

and yes Appleseed - there's something about japitalian food... in fact there's something about japanese adaptations of cuisines from other cultures... it's rarely like the original...yet there's something... er... cute about it. for want of a better word...

^ am i supposed to read that as "soepom, will you have me for your breakfast/lunch/dinner"? hmmm. you better run and hide. tweedles will be hunting you down in a bit.

fresh blueberry pancakes look delectable though!

i don't know how i missed these pictures. i've obviously been tardy.

from awhile back:

wayet0119aqb9.jpg

wayet0119cvi2.jpg

wayet0119bqf7.jpg

wayet0119drk1.jpg

yes to some extent. but it's more a feeling for me, which foods i find "heaty" or too "cooling" for my constitution, rather than that which is dictated by traditional chinese medicine. although of course, most of them are consistent with each other.

fruits like mango or durian are "heaty" for me. and i know it because i tend to develop phlegm after too much of them. and if i am doing an important show, i'd stay away from those.

i've never quite figured out if beer is "heaty" or "cooling" though. i stay away from it during shows only because it's diuretic.

i generally eat whatever i like though. in moderation. of course.

I never understood why fruits such as mango and durian (as well as lychee and longans?) were considered heaty, but if phlegm is an after-consumption indicator, I guess it makes sense. yummy.

Generally, i find beer to be quite cooling, esp. since it goes so well with greasy, deep fried foods, like pizza, tonkatsu, chicken karaage, etc...

I find it interesting that some traditional chinese folks swear away from heaty foods altogether. so silly lah.

Are we talking about "yeet hay"? My mother totally lives by that shit. I never ate potato chips as a kid because she thought they were super bad.

pasta.jpg

Anyways, just some penne rigate (finally figured out how much time it takes for al dente on my new stove) with garlic, basil, tomato sauce.

^ am i supposed to read that as "soepom, will you have me for your breakfast/lunch/dinner"? hmmm. you better run and hide. tweedles will be hunting you down in a bit.

fresh blueberry pancakes look delectable though!

haha, tweedles would probably have to defend his honor. but damn, if i wasn't sucha sucker for a girl with a good appetite... :P

but yes, they were very good, considering its all i've eaten today. superbowl dinner pics coming up: whats on the menu tonight? honey mustard salmon on italian bread with spring mix salad and various other goodies. i'll take a pic once its prepared. oh yeah, homemade blondies for desert!

soon soon.

I get sore throats if I eat too much heaty food, laksa, too much chilli, chocolates, etc

Apparently if u eat mangosteens and durians together something really bad happens, like armegeddon or something.

img5219dz7.jpg

Crepe with Mushroom, spinach, Avocado, cheese

img5224nu0.jpg

Spicy pork + chup chae

img5226wz7.jpg

Almond+Chocolate croissant

img5243bf6.jpg

Chocolate + vanilla creme

img5230xd0.jpg

Dark chocolate decadence