The Flight Jacket Thread

still

sorry if this has been discussed before

How is the quality of Alpha jackets?

I used to have one in the early 90s but I don't remember much about it

i have had an alpha N-3B for a number of years now, and it is well made and durable, but my issue with it is that it is not warm enough.

it's very warm, and is sufficient for the worst that nyc has to offer *when paired with a fleece top*. however, according to what this coat was designed for (extreme cold weather, arctic conditions, working on the deck of aircraft carriers in winter) it should be serious overkill for my purposes. i mean, the worst nyc has to offer isn't really that bad. i spent 4 years in madison wisconsin, so i know a few things about cold weather.

so... serious overkill, but it ends up only being "sufficient." hmmmm.

i haven't worn the buzz rickson N-3B but i would hope that for over $1k, it lives up to the "hype", cause the alpha isn't all that.

any guys in here 6ft+ have experience with different a2 jackets? i been considering buying one but im 6'2" and afraid it will be too short on me..if anyone can offer any advice id appreciate it.
thanks for your encouragement,Chuck.of course i know what differs an Aero or McCoys from those jackets.i am absolutely pleased with my one in both terms of accuracy and quality.

landstander,Aero,Eastman and of course Goodwear will do you a "long" a2.

landstander, same here. would also be interested in a cut which is already longer than the other ones in its original pattern. that would probably suffice in a 'long' cut for me (6'2).

exchanged some emails with eastman leather, most of the patterns were a big 'nope' for me length-wise in the 'long' cut!

• 2 weeks later...

This past weekend, I went and visited my buddy that i in Flight Training down in Mississippi. He had a fire at his house during thanxgiving, and the majority of his stuff, including his USAF issued flight jacket got smoke damage. He ended up getting a new jacket, and in the end, gave me the "damaged" one.

The only "damage" done is that the jacket smells, even after being smoke treated by a dry cleaners, and washed by myself, like it was thrown into a barbeque pit for a week or two.

The fit is ok, but hey, when the time calls for it, I'll prob rock this thing, but until then, I'd rather not smell like a beef brisket, ha.

nice jacket overall:

It's a USAF summer flight jacket:

DSCN3252.jpg

updated side pockets:

DSCN3254.jpg

arm cargo pocket:

DSCN3255.jpg

shoulder "bar" patches:

DSCN3256.jpg

DSCN3259.jpg

Appfaff - that is sweet.

The smell will eventually go away... I had a condo in Battery Park City at the time of 9/11. All my windows blew in, and when I was able to go back and collect my stuff, everything had that smell. Hang it up, say in your garage, where there's a lot of fresh air circulating. It might take a few weeks or even months, but the smell will go!

any guys in here 6ft+ have experience with different a2 jackets? i been considering buying one but im 6'2" and afraid it will be too short on me..if anyone can offer any advice id appreciate it.

landstander,

here is some input from two different sources.

eastman leather - el werber contract in a long size

vintage leather jackets forum - goodwear dubow contract in a long size

hope that helps!

Does anyone have pics of B-10s, B-15s, or tanker jackets? I am currently eyeing up Buzz Rickson versions...

Heres my Real McCoys Japan B-10 jacket, no longer being made. If the photo looks familiar its because this used to be Jakes jacket and he has posted this photo before. It went through one other owner before it came to me and I'm now the proud owner of this fantastic jacket. It also much greener in person than the photo portrays. I also own two Eastmans, neither of which compare to this jacket. My first B-10 was a Buzz Rickson, also a great jacket but it was too short for me.

Real McCoys Japan

DSCN1514.jpg

Eastman

IAC035-1.jpg

Buzz Rickson

B-10005.jpg

Not exactly Flight Jacket but related....Anyone else really into the whole "Embroidered Jackets" that were supposedly brought back by our GI's after the war in the Pacific as souvenirs?

To be honest I know next to nothing about these jackets but was hoping a more informed sufu member could enlighten us all? I seem to remember an embroidered clothing thread on here (or was it patches?) but didn't know where else to ask...

Tailor Toyo seemingly makes good stuff:

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/hinoya-ameyoko/tailortoyo.html

I don't think I could ever actually wear one, but they do look nice.

I've seen a few at thrift stores, but they knew what they were and had a price on it to match...

I don't think I could ever actually wear one, but they do look nice.

I've seen a few at thrift stores, but they knew what they were and had a price on it to match...

HH

I think you hit the nail on the head with the first comment, which is why people just usually collect them and keep them.

Used to see plenty of 'em in london 20 years ago for under fifty quid.

Aeroleather still do two repros for £80 a pop

coleslaw, almost, thanks for all the info, +rep when I can...

I don't actually think I could pull it off myself either but they are so bad ass...I remember in Japan they had a ton on every street corner for around $50-100USD but I'm guessing they were low quality remakes that don't stand up to the real thing....gonna try to do some more research and see what I can dig up from japanese sites...

I was thrifting today and I look over and the dude beside me is wearing what looks like a b-15. I see the white AAF on the shoulder and ask him if that's a b-15...

He says he doesn't know and raised his jacket so I can see the tag and sure enough it's a B-15.

I ask if it's original and he says yes.

First, if you own an original B-15... you should know you own an original B-15.

It was a sweet looking jacket. Fit him spot on. I didn't have a chance to really see the tag well to see who made it or what year it was from, but still a nice jacket and nice to see one worn.