hey sycamore, whats your definition of a hipster?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious about what a hipster is also. In general, I think it's more of a pejorative word than a compliment. I guess it's sort of like douchebag who listens to better music and dresses better. All I know is any person who calls me a hipster won't live to laugh about it. :eek: I'm kidding, my hipster physique couldn't fight it's way out of a paper bag.

In Lord Whimsy's The Affected Provincial's Companion, Vol. I he draws a distinction between Hipsters and Dandies as follows:

A Hipster subverts convention to stand out as rebelious

(skiny jeans, indie rock, thrift, messy hair, tattoos, whatever is consciously done/worn as a fuck you to the mainstream)

A Dandy takes convention to excess to stand out as rebelious

(3/roll-2 three piece suits, pocket squares, tailored shirts, handgrade shoes, fancy hats, etc...also a fuck you to the mainstream)

so basically Superfuture vs. the SF "Men's Clothing" forum.

Most of you muthafuckers on here would be considered hipsters with your skinny jeans, smeduim tshirts and "thrift store finds".

Fuck you, bitch. My tees are a small... and my jeans are fitted. And yes... I live in Williamsburg. :(

Damn hipsters.

If you're on superfuture...you're in some way, shape, or form a hipster.

If you would call someone else one, you probably are too.

I don't know what Syc said that provoked this, but my guess is he's just tryin to ruffle some feathers.

yup...

ever notice its only really hipsters that call out each other? "yea, that theodore kids a fucken hipster, look at em with those tight jeans" ...the kid sayen that is wearing the same thing but doesnt notice..

Sufu != hipster. To achieve true hipsterness, you have to wear the most bullshit thrift store crap in an attempt to look ironic/edgy, grow a moustache and dodgy haircut to look ironic/edgy, wear Nikes not because you like them but because you're in on a joke against the type of people who wear Nikes, and most importantly all conversations must revolve around cocaine and Bob Dylan.

see, i cant stand ironic clothing, or cocaine... or moustaches...

Also 'hipsters' seem to know shit all about denim. 99% of the jeans I see the bastards in are post-redline Levis, H&M girls or very recently Topman skinnies. An acoustic guitar is an essential accessory, as is some kind of stupid hat. At all costs swear away from electric guitars, unless they are an ironic pisstake of people who listen to that Dillinger Escape Plan rubbish.

Also hipsters are not to be confused with 'scene kids', who despite their love of skinny jeans are usually a very different beast associated with the modern hardcore/metalcore/screamo scenes. I guess I'm quite a bit of a scene kid by musical taste at least, but fuck hipsters. I've played in bands with enough of them and met enough other total wanker indie bands to hate that bunch for life.

99% of what defines a hipster is in the attitude. It's the attitude that you know more shit or are somehow superior to those around you, but you don't have the time to waste explaining to them why you're better than them beause deep inside, they know everybody else will just never "get it". Holy shit, I just summarized SuFu in 2 lines.

:eek:

99% of what defines a hipster is in the attitude. It's the attitude that you know more shit or are somehow superior to those around you, but you don't have the time to waste explaining to them why you're better than them beause deep inside, they know everybody else will just never "get it". Holy shit, I just summarized SuFu in 2 lines.

:eek:

truth.....