hey sycamore, whats your definition of a hipster?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wear a Mao cap or Che shirt, does that make you:

a) ignorant

B) a communist

c) a poseur communist

d) an douchebag trendy aka The Urban Outfitter

e) just a hipster who hangs out in coffeeshops drinking soy-based beverages, talking about the latest Bright Eyes record, surrounded by unshaven dirty hippie lesbians, talking about the evils of government, the environment, the indie scene; while his BMW that his suburban parents bought for him idles outside because he doesn't want to freeze his ass when he drives home.

Vaclava is a genius. If you read his posts at face value, they make no sense. But if you open your mind, you can see really what he means. It's like art, in digital text form.

Sounds like something a hipster would say.

its performance art... hes created an entire persona that has a life of its own... genius.

i wish his old posts as vaclav were still there... some amazing shit, like making a kite out of a shirt, or destroying shoes, or the infamous triple tweed....

i'm officially out of touch with the youth of today. I don't find the words "snitch" and "hipster" at all insulting.
isn't a snitch someone who tells on someone else?

I hope no one thinks snitch is actually insulting. I think it's just humorous... in fact, I will admit to jacking that from Rob Heppler. He just says snitch a alot and is flagrant on the WeeklyDrop podcast... it's usually "say something I don't like, snitch!"

Hipster, on the other hand, troubles me deeply... :rolleyes:

vaclav and i on play by play... :D

this should happen. we could throw up competing WAYW pictures. bespoke john lobb's vs. Dior 19cm...FIGHT!

although i'm not so sure vaclav wouldn't get completely sidtracked talking about "living a life of quiet perspiration"... or CMF for that matter.

I see it as the kids on campus who think they're really cool because they don't shave, get hairs cuts, shower, buy thrift clothes, are vegan, listen to "too cool" music and ironic music. Basically they're new age hippies. There is a plaza where a bunch of the cool cats are eating the hare krishna food, sitting around in rolled up legged pants with no shirt next to their road bike. It's definitely an attitude. All the qualities that most of them(at UF at least) exert are definitely predetermined though.

I know it doesn't all make sense but i can tell a noticeable difference between such catch all terms such as emo, hipster, scenester, indie kid, etc...

I don't mind some hipster and indie kids though, more so than emo and scene kids. As long as they're not too gung ho into their little image, i like them fine. UF is basically those kids hanging out in that big plaza, frat/sorority kids, and black people. Little to no mixing of those big groups.

edit:Shit, i realized i was actually being serious in supertrash.

You're all a bunch of wannabe indie hipster fags though. The whole lot of you. ESPECIALLY CHEAP!

006052818401bo220420320qz0.jpg

Actually a pretty good read, gives some perspective on hipster culture. As far as I'm concerned the only time hipster is an insult is when it used to describe a poseur. Besides I'd rather be a hipster then a scene kid.

Edit: Of course with any book it should be read with a grain of salt.

006052818401bo220420320qz0.jpg

Actually a pretty good read, gives some perspective on hipster culture. As far as I'm concerned the only time hipster is an insult is when it used to describe a poseur. Besides I'd rather be a hipster then a scene kid.

Edit: Of course with any book it should be read with a grain of salt.

i've read that. and i agree, as skeptical as i was when i saw the ridiculous title and cover design, it IS a decent book. a real thorough history, too, from Thoreau, Emerson, and Melville, to Williamsburg. Lots of interesting info on the Beats and Bebop as well.

I actually meant to call her a superfuture scenester. Hipster came out in the midst of being disgusted.

superfuture scenester

[soo-per-fyu-chur-ceen-ster]

-noun

Someone who posts on superfuture to try and fit in and/or want recognition or affirmation from other members. Who dress in the minimal amount of brands that are required for acceptance on this forum.

I actually meant to call her a superfuture scenester. Hipster came out in the midst of being disgusted.

superfuture scenester

[soo-per-fyu-chur-ceen-ster]

-noun

Someone who posts on superfuture to try and fit in and/or want recognition or affirmation from other members. Who dress in the minimal amount of brands that are required for acceptance on this forum.

like... hare, flat head, vans... yeah man. i get it now.

Guest jeffvyain

there is no physical difference between hipsters and emo kids... hipsters just pretend not to care, and emo kids care too much. both of them annoy me as i prefer people with a maturity level above that of a 5-year old

Geez. This was over before it even started.